Reason for concern?

Iluvracks1359

Hey guys. So after the second weekend, I'm pretty frustrated, and wondering of its time to start thinking of a new game plan. Many of you saw the trail camera pictures I posted and i had a nice buck, and a few other deer showing up pretty regularly, at least 2 to 3 times a week. Since july. Now for the past 2 weeks there has been very little action on the cameras, the 10 point has disappeared, and every night I'm seeing deer about 100 yards away from me. Should I try to post up in that spot? Is it likely they will return to where my stand is? I'm so frusturated!!!

Hey guys. So after the second weekend, I'm pretty frustrated, and wondering of its time to start thinking of a new game plan. Many of you saw the trail camera pictures I posted and i had a nice buck, and a few other deer showing up pretty regularly, at least 2 to 3 times a week. Since july. Now for the past 2 weeks there has been very little action on the cameras, the 10 point has disappeared, and every night I'm seeing deer about 100 yards away from me. Should I try to post up in that spot? Is it likely they will return to where my stand is? I'm so frusturated!!!

6 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

So after the second weekend, I'm pretty frustrated, and wondering of its time to start thinking of a new game plan.

If you think you are frustrated now.... wait til later in the season when they only show themselves at night. Patience & persistence is the only way to be successful and sometimes even that doesn't work.

• Like 4

Why would you not.move if you are seeing them 100 yards away. . photos in July are fairly useless once buck get hard horn the patterns change and bachelor groups break up.. Food sources and deer nutritional needs change..

Pick a tree within a 18 yard circle of a spot that you figure your shot will be. Wind direction. Tells you the tree your stand should be in.. Its better to be in a spot to get a deer that you might see rather then see deer that you only might get....

• Like 5

I 2nd g-man, pics during the summer don't really mean much. It's time to adjust the setup which isn't a big deal. You didn't get descriptive with your area or where exactly your seeing these deer 100yrds away, oak flat, field, swamp....

Where are they bedding and where are they heading to when your seeing them? I guess that's my question to you? Once you answer that q then you can adjust your setup.

Do you understand how how warm out it is?  Anything over 50 degrees is a deer movement killer especially adult deer unless it's the rut.  You said they disappeared two weeks ago.  That's when this heat wave started.  It's been 70 - 92 degrees every day.  What deer are you seeing at 100 yards?  Those deer?  Or others?

If you're not seeing the bucks then why don't you take a break until the last week of October when it'll be cooler and they are going to start to get anxious but still be relatively close to where they have been?

• Like 2

well all i can say is that trail cams are nice to use.... but last year i didnt have one buck on camera till the very end of october after that we saw a good number of nice bucks they had to leave  from some where,,,  It seems to me when they go from velvet to hard horned they change alot from where there living to travel patterns and throw in changing food sources... i think bucks have a very small area in the summer and during the fall all bets are off for the most part

12 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

this weather is horrible for movement. lot of corn and other crops could be causing him to change his pattern. Remember not too long ago the season wasn't even open yet. Give it time and patience. The rut hasn't even begun yet.

• Like 2

UPDATE: So I was sitting my stand last night, and had 5 deer, again 100 yards out, when I realized something, THE DEER ARE STARING AT ME IN MY STAND. When we originally set the stand up, per trail cam pictures, we did not expect the deer to be coming from this direction, and thus did not compensate for them to be sky lining my side profile. I am pretty sure, like 95% this is why they aren't coming in to the spot, and as soon as I get a friend to help, I am going to go in and move the stand to a tree where this will not happen any more! For now, I am going to have to ground hunt until this can get done. . . hopefully this weekend! 

• Like 1

Or just keep going like this and they will not be afraid of you come gun season. And then...

I am convinced the deer recognized my truck during my first gun season and deemed it to pose no threat. Just Mike shooting of the shotgun. They were right the first year,but the next year they paid...I had a muzzleloader I was and still am confident with.

On 10/8/2017 at 9:12 PM, BBDEric said:

It's early and weather has been tough.  Don't over hunt it. Pick your days and move around

This right here if it is going to be warm don't bother stinking the area up. I have some nice deer roaming my parents property but not stepping foot up there until the temps come down.

Cover and wind two most important things when placing a stand.. Good luck sounds like you are seeing them. And they you from where they are coming from.. I'd try to cut distance in half and reset if you think they will still come last

.. But they will hold at that spot every time now scanning For you. Moving to there or past there would be the smarter idea 

unfortunately, the area over looks a field, and they are coming from a very small patch of new growth, so there really is no tree for a tree stand other than where I have it now, Ive found a tree where I can hide from where they are coming from, and it should allow them to close the distance now. We shall see

UPDATE: So Friday night I decided to go sit the ground where I have been seeing the deer , and it turned out to be a great decision, unfortunately, I did not pick the right place to sit. @ about 6:15 pm a nice 10 point walked right in to me, but do to my location choice, I had a bush in front of me, and did not have a shot, needed him to take another two steps forward, but before he did that, he  knew something wasn't right , and took off. Shockingly he turned right around and came back in, this time more assertively, but again he was looking for me, and knew something wasn't right. He came in close enough for a shot again the second time, but again , didn't come into the opening,. spotted me, and darted. My question here is, knowing that I didn't make a single move, and it was clear to me that he did not catch my scent, because he wasn't sniffing the air and did not blow at me. Will I see this deer again, or did I likely screw it up for the season?  I guess I should also note that about 10 minutes after this happened, a 4 pointer came in, which I passed up, and he ended up darting in a similar fashion as well.

Now you are learning!  The deer will always be your best teachers. Were you walking where the deer were standing, as you made your way to where you sat?  At 6:15 the sun is setting, air temps are dropping a bit. Hunting from the ground, the dropping temperature may hold your scent a bit and even "spread"it out from you just a bit if there is no wind to push it away. You are on the right track by going to where you see the deer. But the older deer will take only so much of you intruding on them before they avoid that immediate area. So change up on them often. Or just get it done on your next sit! Good luck.

• Like 1