What broadhead will you be using this year?

Core

Same one you use for vertical (if you shoot vertical)? Fixed? mechanical?

I've shot mechanicals, but starting to like the idea of fixed. With the higher speeds from the xbow, I imagine planing problems from some broadheads increase, but a nicely shooting fixed (e.g. ramcat claims to shoot very well up to 400 fps) would open up some shot opportunities and I expect drill through a deer from basically any angle, even through a shoulder or two reliably. 

Grim reapers- went back to them after I tried Rages for a while.  Grims were sold out so bought some rages and have lost two deer with them.  Prob a coincidence, but never lost one with the Grims so I went back to those.  Also didnt like how the rages came loose from the collars sometimes.

Muzzy fixed blades on the crossbow.  Shot a deer at 8 yards last year and it walked 20 yards down the trail and fell over. 

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Same as I use on my compound. Rage Crossbow X 125gr

I got some rage chisels recently for my vertical. I'll give the practice head a go on the crossbow.

I got a pack of G5 Montecs I am thinking of opening up. My xbow is shooting somewhere in the 360's.

Rage hypodermics for me. Might pick up a package of the new trypans before heading to Nebraska next week. I've been shooting rage since they came out and have never had a issue with their 2 blade models. Used a 3 blade once and wasn't impressed with that at all.
Last fixed blades I used were slick tricks and they shot well, still keep one or two in my quiver for coyotes and stuff.

Just bought a crossbow ! TenPoint  , the heads they sold me were ,Wasp Jak-x

3 blade mechanicals . I guess I have to trust them at this point . Bow shoots 340 fps , if that  matters .

non typical , same here 29 years of killing deer with fixed cut on contact , we'll see .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Mathews, Muzzy 90gr. 4 blades on carbon express.

Barnett, Muzzy 125gr. Crossbow 3 blades on Bloodsport bolts.

Kilt a bunch of deer in the past with Rocket Wolverine folders, until I saw the penetration of the Muzzys. Switched over and have been happy.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:15 PM, Jdubs said:

FWIW, I'm using a Muzzy Trocar 3-blade 100gr on a Carbon Express 20" PileDriver bolt.  I hope to edit this post in about 2 weeks with a field report on how it performed on a deer. :)

I'm shooting this same setup and xbow shoots app 315 for.. I'll let you know how it works out after the 4th!

On 10/21/2017 at 1:32 PM, Stay at home Nomad said:

Just bought a crossbow ! TenPoint  , the heads they sold me were ,Wasp Jak-x

3 blade mechanicals . I guess I have to trust them at this point . Bow shoots 340 fps , if that  matters .

non typical , same here 29 years of killing deer with fixed cut on contact , we'll see .

Same for me & my intro w/a 10pt Xbow. At the time, they suggested NAP Spitfire. They worked great, even with ALL my mechanical BH skepticism. FYI - 10pt Xbows are owned & made by Xbow hunters, so take that for what it's worth with their BH suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

My plan was to use G5 montecs but I can't get them to group well. At 30 yards I was at least doubling group size over my field points plus POI was a few inches to the left (consistently). With the Rage 2 blade practice head I'm struggling to identify a different POI over field points, so I'll be using the rage it looks like.