Bill Schmidt

Looking Forward To The Opener!

I have not done one bit of scouting for this Fall Turkey Season and will be taking my own advice. I will head for the high points and be in position a good 1 hour before Sunrise.  I know that I saw alot more turkeys this Spring and Summer then last year.  Luck to all who venture out into the Fall Turkey Woods!

• Like 2

Good luck. Bill. FYI birds (8) were roosted in the lowest spot they could this morning. Bottom of hill at creek bottom. Daughter and I walked right under them with the rain and they never spooked. Saturday they also gobbled on roost from down below. I may give it a half arsed crack or two. It's paid off last year and another year amounting to my 2 only fall birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wish they would go back to old season dates and bag limits. there is more turkeys here than ever before. love to see them increase bag limits for both seasons.

• Like 1

I do like the new later Fall Turkey opener dmandoes. The old bag limit of 2 Fall Turkeys should never have been changed however. Indeed-- there are plenty of wild turkeys in my part of New York--(Orange County). Western New York had a lower turkey population - but perhaps after nearly 2 full years- it is rebounding there.  What County are you from dmandoes?

The big problem with lowering the bag limit and slashing the Fall Turkey Season from 6 weeks to a mere 2 weeks is that a Fall turkey hunter will take a hen if that is the 1st turkeys that is seen  . And the idea was to protect hens. If  the Season was 6 weeks-- that turkey hunter may just pass up that hen because the Season is still young. I wrote to the DEC about all this during the public comment format before the law was changed. To no avail though.   

I don't see the bag limit increased in the Spring from 2 to 3 in the future. Hey, I could be wrong.  Some States like Alabama might do well to lower their Spring bag limit to keep a robust population. A Spring turkey hunter can take 5 gobblers!!!

Can't wait for the 21st!  I've been seeing and hearing a ton of turkeys and yelps the past few weekends.  Hopefully they stick around, I think they like all the corn that's growing nearby this year.

• Like 1

dmandoes- those are awesome pics! Which one to take-- the gobbler for sure!  You are very lucky indeed!!!  I have never seen this- but have read that once in the Fall or the Winter-- all wild turkeys somehow get together- gobblers, old hen flocks, family flocks, hermits and interact. Almost like the mountain men of old at a once a year gathering.  In your first pic- I can see turkeys 3/4 the size of hens nearby by and check out all the gobblers!!!  This probably just happens in huge open areas like your pics. Go get them!!!

I always see turkeys (8-10 in a group) when deer hunting in November with shotgun, but the season is always over. I guess if I see with the compound this year between 10/21-11/3 i'll shoot one. Where do you aim with bow? base of the neck?

• Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

I have two roosting sites pinned down, but the oats I planted early are in full head and starting to yellow...there is a whole lot of oats and new clover for them this year...now if I can just not have my fletching catch the blind again this year...using a different blind?

The Kindle just doesn't work right and   I have decided not to feed the bullies and distracters...it's call the ignore feature. They only have power when fed.

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I always see turkeys (8-10 in a group) when deer hunting in November with shotgun, but the season is always over. I guess if I see with the compound this year between 10/21-11/3 i'll shoot one. Where do you aim with bow? base of the neck?

Moving and bobbing head is tough. Wolcs Texas heart shot if the Tom is all strutted and facing away or whistle one thru the body. He won't go far. They do make special broadheads for turkey with a wide blade that decapitates them   Shoot one and I'll walk you through the prep and cooking. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Moving and bobbing head is tough. Wolcs Texas heart shot if the Tom is all strutted and facing away or whistle one thru the body. He won't go far. They do make special broadheads for turkey with a wide blade that decapitates them   Shoot one and I'll walk you through the prep and cooking. 

Can you make it taste like chicken? I don't like turkey lol

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."