New stand

Chef

So I couldn't help myself and went online today and bought the lone wolf sit and climb combo stand. This will be the 2nd climber I own as I don't really pack them in and out. I own my land and generally leave it attached to the tree and figured a 2nd one will add options. I also have 4 ladder stand and two groundblinds.... so I'll pose these questions what kinds of stands does everyone else use and what is the best stand you have used so far. The answer can for sure be different for both bow and gun

d00707e6b6d1bbe457019bee5d6fad51.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using hang-ons forever I have two lone wolf hang-on and climbing sticks great stands. I put three ladder stands on my property over the past two years but i'm not crazy about them kinda uncomfortable I still have one in the box. I also picked up a summit viper on craigslist cheap this will be a first for me using a climber. 

good luck with yours if it's anything like my lone wolfs you won't be disappointed..

That looks like a beauty. I'd definitely python lock that baby up out there but of course don't forget the keys when you hunt it. I like my Summit Viper but have nothing to compare it to. It's comfy as all get up. Not the lightest in the market but I get by by dressing light and packing my warmer garments to carry in 

I've been using hang-ons forever I have two lone wolf hang-on and climbing sticks great stands. I put three ladder stands on my property over the past two years but i'm not crazy about them kinda uncomfortable I still have one in the box. I also picked up a summit viper on craigslist cheap this will be a first for me using a climber. 
good luck with yours if it's anything like my lone wolfs you won't be disappointed..

My other climber is the lone wolf sit and climb I've been tossing the idea of a hang on around but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I guess they make me kind of nervous

All my stands have bench seats no rail that's how I like it.  Easy to pivot and shoot seated from 7-3 on the clock dial.  My butt falls asleep in slings.  All these stands are effective when set well with cover.  Bow harvested from each type and the ground.

Ladders - Easy super quick access, moderately adaptable to different tree types, typically a little low tho.

Summit Raptor Hang-on w/sticks - most stealth, most adaptable, if you can leave the sticks on these are the best, worst case you carry 2 sticks still beats a climber imo. These raptors hang on a bracket I have 3 stands and 9 brackets...pretty mobile 11lbs a piece.

Lone Wolf Hand Climber:  Nice and quiet packs easy fur a climber.  Climbs easy.  Very limited tree selection. In order to gain irregular tree cover with a climber on a regular tree I typically try to find a hardwood running right up a pine or a hardwood loaded with vines. Also any climbing is a bit of a commotion on a silent day.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

I have a summit viper for a climber,and the thing weighs a ton. I am scared to hike in further than 1/2 mile. I also have a bunch of hang on's,some with ladder sticks,some with screw in steps. Oh,and one ladder stand.

I think I might buy the basic lone wolf climber next year,it is soooo light.

I use the stands that dicks has on sale for 30$ throughout the year probably have better than 40 of them up another 10 stashed in the Adirondacks and a few at the house. I also have 3 aluminum 7lb hangons that aren't made anymore that I use if I'm banging into a spot for the day. I have a few ladders but don't like them. I also have a few different climbers but don't use them very often.

21 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I use the stands that dicks has on sale for 30$ throughout the year probably have better than 40 of them up another 10 stashed in the Adirondacks and a few at the house. I also have 3 aluminum 7lb hangons that aren't made anymore that I use if I'm banging into a spot for the day. I have a few ladders but don't like them. I also have a few different climbers but don't use them very often.

What do you use to get into the hang on's?

Does anyone use a climbing stand as a permanent stand? I have heard you can ratchet strap the top and bottom to the tree and then get in an out with sticks. Just wondering how this works.....sorry in advance if this is a thread highjacking question.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Does anyone use a climbing stand as a permanent stand? I have heard you can ratchet strap the top and bottom to the tree and then get in an out with sticks. Just wondering how this works.....sorry in advance if this is a thread highjacking question.

I have, climbed up and ratchet strapped it in and some one put in steps for me so I could climb down.

• Like 1

Not thread highjacking at all it's my thread and now I wanna know lol, sounds like something I would like to do

First time I did a practice run of my climber(viper summit) i found it kind of terrifying. After I got used to it, I'm not so concerned. Grabbed a new harness and now I'm happy.

I ran out of light installing my ladder so I haven't gotten to sit in it so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Edited by TurtleFace

Hang on by far are my favorites. Top manufacture I loved was loggy bayou. Top favorite stand was by api the baby grand.. Most of my stands are now 20 years old and have had straps and cables changed but I'm not replacing 30 stands at today's prices.. I recommend only buying aluminum and the largest platform with corners at back of tree.. And take them down every year!! 

Edited by G-Man

I have a pair of Millenium hang-ons that I hang for the season and use ladder sticks to climb into. These are my "permanent" stands, and I've only moved them if the deer show me good reason to. The cam receiver makes these very easy to set up. They're a little too bulky and heavy for a mobile set up.

I also have a ladder stand, but it's more difficult to manage, and is truly a permanent season stand.

For the run-and-gun set-ups, I have a Lone Wolf hand climber, but as mentioned earlier, it's difficult to get set up easily because I have to look for the "perfect tree." But it is so light to carry...

I'll likely be using the last stand I own, a Lone Wolf hang-on with a set of four climbing sticks for true run-and-gun set-ups. I also bought the hang on strap so I won't be dealing with having to wrap a strap around a tree one-handed while holding the stand upright with the other. Looked a lot easier in the video. 20' up, not so much.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...