Family room remodel

Well after a summer of doing things for everyone else I finally got a chance to tackle the family room remodel. it all started becasue we had the house sprayed for bees and ants around the outside. Apparently there were a couple cores in the block foundation that had some pavement ants living in there. (Those tiny little buggers). Well since a barrier was put around the outside they only had one way to go and that was INTO the house. Well that freaked the Mrs's out and I was tasked with ripping the walls apart and down to find them and end their existence. So a cosmetic remodel turned into a gut and replace for the perimeter exterior walls. New studs, electric and cable and tongue and groove pine. Added a bar and we will be continuing the copper and nickle accents.  It is gettign a click laminate vinyl floor that is 100% waterproof. This is a split ranch and the family room is 4' underground. The bar top will be poured epoxy in a copper color with accents. I did a test piece last night for the nook above the fireplace mantle. 

Painting and staining is done and the bar top will be poured tonight.  Fingers crossed on this one. Once you start pouring there is no going back..lol

Insert.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

Nice work, we are doing a little remodel ourselves about 1500 sq.ft. worth. Glad to see you went with the T&G, I wish we could have done all our walls and ceilings with the stuff mostly because I hate doing drywall. My wife is excited because everything else has been on hold to get the bedrooms finished before I hit the woods hard. We have another week before it starts to get any colder anyway, looks like early morning and late evening will be nice with overnights in the low 40s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Looks great! We just about rebuilt the house this past year and have an appointment with our tax accountant tomorrow so Im flipping through this capital improvement guide. You may find it helpful too

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/sales/pub862.pdf

I think that only applies when a contractor does the work.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea. "Capital Improvements" like me getting driveway done, siding on house, and new deck just means they can't charge me tax for doing the work. But I don't believe it will effect my tax return.

That's because you make those big bucks.....get it? get it? 

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Yes and im finding that even then there isnt much there

Yeah basically you're getting the taxes back on the merchandise.

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Still worth keeping track and proof of all improvements to document for gains when you sell the house. 

No intentions of selling, but yes I agree with you 100%. I keep a log each year in Excel of each thing done to the house/yard.

2 hours ago, chas0218 said:

That's because you make those big bucks.....get it? get it? 

Yeah basically you're getting the taxes back on the merchandise.

Whether you make $30K or $3M, you don't get to (unfortunately) write-off those types of home improvements.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

bb7398eb095f7f65c584a0f3cc7a0690.jpg9754565017643d55fbd748d7ddcba758.jpg04e7bb60d3779a31bbe9ca67dc65e129.jpg

The bar top is poured. Three hour wait to strip the tape. 5 quarts on. 2 quarts on the floor. Lol

Looks awesome what did you use? Also I like your work light in the back I got my at Aldis a few years ago, it works great and was dirt cheap. Other than the cheap bulbs that burned out in a few weeks of use it has been great. 

13 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Looks awesome what did you use? Also I like your work light in the back I got my at Aldis a few years ago, it works great and was dirt cheap. Other than the cheap bulbs that burned out in a few weeks of use it has been great. 

It's poured epoxy. Base color mixed in is copper. There is turquoise, gold and copper metallic flake that is either mixed into epoxy and poured to highlight or they are diluted in alcohol and sprayed on the epoxy and manipulated with different techniques. (blown with a hair dryer, blowing through a straw, dragged with a stir stick, smeared with a putty knife or light the alcohol on fire with a propane torch after you spray it on. . 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club