Hello and intro from WNY

dinorocks

Good afternoon-

My best friend (Turkeyfeathers) introduced me to this site.   I enjoyed tuning into "Live from the Woods" (spring turkey season version) and I just found the "Live for the Woods" archery season version.  Now that I have a new phone, I hope to contribute to the post and share my time in the woods...and when not in the woods, live vicariously through your posts!

A little about me...I'm a professional geologist and do lots of volunteer work as an educational mentor, lecturing on behalf of WNY STEM, and working with the Scouts (geology  and STEM related presentations).  I enjoy everything outdoors, including deer hunting, trapping, fly fishing, making maple syrup, canoeing, hiking, primitive skills, gardening, x-country skiing/snow shoeing, primitive tanning, and bow making....the list goes on but these are the things I'm most active with right now (after a back injury several years ago I needed to slow down a bit and change my lifestyle).   The best part of my hobbies (which I consider more of a way of life),  is that my two children (12 and 14) enjoy doing most of the same...as well as my wife (in most cases)...some people think my wife is a saint to put up with all of my shenanigans!

My family and I are active with several outdoor clubs including Hawkeye Bowmen and Massena Rod and Gun Club, and volunteer with lots of nature-type activities/events from replanting clams and muscles following dam releases to helping with the NYSDEC geese banding projects (...and if I can brag a little, earlier this year, my son was awarded Youth Sportsman of the Year by the Erie County Sportsmen Federation...and my daughter has recently become famous within the Carp Anglers Group with a song she wrote and performed this summer during a large carp tournament...yes...a little different ...www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pq4lR306DM ...my wife and I couldn't be more proud!

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here, and hopefully sharing some of my passions with you!

Cheers!

Dino

carly.jpg

colt dad.jpg

samson.jpg

colt dad 2.jpg

• Like 16

Hi Dino, Glad you could get involved here. 

As Jay might have mentioned, you and I met a number of years ago......I sold you some feathers/blunts/field points if I recall correctly.  I'm guessing it was  around 2002-2003 or so?  I came to your house (pretty brave on your part!!) maybe to bring the gear over or just to see your "stuff"", I distinctly remember all those glowing rocks you had in the basement!

I hope you enjoy your time here........Larry

Thanks for the warm welcomes...and no, I do not have a bunny suit, nor do I plan on getting one :-)...like TF said, one in the town is enough!

Larry, I do remember!  My involvement with archery has evolved quite a bit since then...or should I say, de-volved as now I run around with my selfbows with stone points in my loin cloth!  I'll spare you with the picture!  And yea, my fluorescent minerals are taking up even more of my basement!

• Like 1