Hello and intro from WNY

dinorocks

Thanks again for all the "welcomes"! 

Moog 5050, below are a couple picts of some of my selfbows I had handy (hopefully posting all these picts is not too obnoxious!)  I make all my bows using hand tools (no power tools) and like to cut my own wood (the old fashion way with an ax)...it is a very long process but extremely rewarding when I harvest with a bow of my own makings!  I'm still fumbling through adding picts with a caption below...picts include a cherry selfbow backed with carp skins, same bow at full draw, a hop hornbean with beaver skin handle wrap (this was made for a bow swap), basket quivers that my wife makes, a deer I harvested with an osage selfbow, and a couple picts of my hunting attire.

carp skin backing-cherry bow.jpg

GM 072712 007.JPG

beaver tail bow handle wrap-hophornbeam bow.jpg

Amy quivers.jpg

deer.jpg

primitive hunt.jpg

thanksgiving_zpsb106d202.jpg

• Like 4

yup...TC Hawken percussion.  Last year I bought the flintlock version...not a very expense flintlock but a good starter gun for learning my way around shooting a flinty ...it is an older model and I'm having lots of problems with the lock (the newer models corrected the issues)...sent the lock to my blacksmith last week to lengthen the cock (hammer) and reface and hardened the steel (frizzen)...hoping that does the trick!

Thanks!  Ive been thinking about getting a traditional muzzy.  I have a Thompson modern in line, but have been looking at the Pendersoli available at Cabelas (got lots of points to burn).  I’m left handed and they have a couple of LH models.  

Hi Dino, welcome to the forum. I belonged to Hawkeye for several years, you always kicked my butt at their Snowshoe Shoot. Great fun, I really miss those activities, the work days, and the game dinners! Say Hi to everyone at the club for me, especially Phil and Brian.  Tim

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 7:48 AM, dinorocks said:

yup...TC Hawken percussion.  Last year I bought the flintlock version...not a very expense flintlock but a good starter gun for learning my way around shooting a flinty ...it is an older model and I'm having lots of problems with the lock (the newer models corrected the issues)...sent the lock to my blacksmith last week to lengthen the cock (hammer) and reface and hardened the steel (frizzen)...hoping that does the trick!

Are you shooting 50cal guns?  If so, I have a pile of home brewed balls you're welcome to. 

I've had a T/C Hawken flinter for 30 years (got it used so it's an old one) but just haven't hunted it much in the past 10 years.  An old hunting buddy's wife gave me a half a cigar box with bullets the two of them cast years ago.  Your welcome to them.............

• Like 1

• 1 year later...