Florida Hog hunt

StevieSacs

32 minutes ago, StevieSacs said:

Anyone ever do a Florida hog hunt?  Interested in doing one in February and wanted to know if any members had luck/experience with particular outfitters.

Free range is a must.  I heard Triple M outfitters was legit.

Thanks in advance!

Sacs

Looping in @bugsNbows since he is the resident Florida guy. Maybe he can assist you?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Never used an outfitter but I had very good luck hunting public land called Gores Landing. It's about 10 minutes from my grandparents house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats awesome.  how'd you do?

Just spot and stalk on em or hang a stand?

thats awesome.  how'd you do?

Just spot and stalk on em or hang a stand?

Still hunted, it was a good time but nothing I would pay for. I think I hunted down there 5 or 6 times and shot at least 1 every trip. Don't shoot one over 100lbs if you want to eat it. The big one I shot I couldn't give the sausage away.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Still hunted, it was a good time but nothing I would pay for. I think I hunted down there 5 or 6 times and shot at least 1 every trip. Don't shoot one over 100lbs if you want to eat it. The big one I shot I couldn't give the sausage away.

Thats awesome.  I'd love to get some more details.  That sounds badass 

Edited by StevieSacs

Thats awesome.  I'd love to get some more details.  Always wanted to do a hog hunt.  

Wasn't a whole lot to it. Found public land near their house figured out what I needed for licenses and seasons. Got off the main road a couple miles before daylight and still hunted the logging roads until it got hot. Do the same in the afternoon. Make sure you're going into the wind and go slow because they aren't easy to see, I smelled most of the ones I killed before I ever saw them. Bring plenty of gun because you don't want to track them into the swamps.

• Like 1

I can chime in a bit. For a reasonable hog hunt (about $200 per day), Wild Florida Outfitters is good. The owner is Terry Parlier who used to be a state gator trapper years ago when I worked at Disney. He's a stand up guy, and we (he and I) took many reptiles out of the Dismal swamps! They do hog and gator hunts. As a matter of fact, I have a 10.5' mounted gator head as a gift from Terry. 

Another option is West Shore Outfitters. They are more costly, but do offer a cool thermal night hog hunt for $325. I think their regular daytime hog hunts run about $300-325 per day. 

Hope this helps. 

IMG_0165.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

I can chime in a bit. For a reasonable hog hunt (about $200 per day), Wild Florida Outfitters is good. The owner is Terry Parlier who used to be a state gator trapper years ago when I worked at Disney. He's a stand up guy, and we (he and I) took many reptiles out of the Dismal swamps! They do hog and gator hunts. As a matter of fact, I have a 10.5' mounted gator head as a gift from Terry. 

Another option is West Shore Outfitters. They are more costly, but do offer a cool thermal night hog hunt for $325. I think their regular daytime hog hunts run about $300-325 per day. 

Hope this helps. 

IMG_0165.JPG

this is great info bud.  

Thanks a ton.   Will definitely look into these guys and definitely try some DIY hog hunting once I get a chance at one with my bow.

• 11 months later...
On 10/10/2017 at 5:40 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Wasn't a whole lot to it. Found public land near their house figured out what I needed for licenses and seasons. Got off the main road a couple miles before daylight and still hunted the logging roads until it got hot. Do the same in the afternoon. Make sure you're going into the wind and go slow because they aren't easy to see, I smelled most of the ones I killed before I ever saw them. Bring plenty of gun because you don't want to track them into the swamps.

To hunt hogs, deer and turkey on public land in Fl, don't you have to apply for a lottery permit around Feb or March? 

It's my understanding that if you hunt on private land for hogs, you don't even need a license. You can hunt year round and there are no bag or size limits. But, if you hunt on a Florida WMA, (their public land), you need a license and there are seasons and bag limits. You also need to enter and win the lottery for a specific week and a specific WMA. I retired to Florida 2 years ago and this is what I have found during my research. If this info is wrong, I'd love to hear from long time Fl residents who have the answers first hand.

I moved here from SW Fl and have hunted hogs there for 20+ years,as stated earlier if your wanting to eat them shoot the smaller ones,the big ones aren't for eating.  In Fl hogs are considered nuisance animals so on private land no license is needed,on public I believe you need a general licence.  I always hunted private land so we shot them whenever we wanted,if you post on a FL forum I bet a local will hook you up with a place cheap.  Those things are such a pita you can't kill enough fast enough.  Also make sure you use a caliber that has a punch,they can be tough and mean.

• Like 1