do you get sleepy in the stand?

Robhuntandfish

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

much like a plane for me, no chance I will fall asleep ... always envied those that could (on the plane at least)

when we fly for vacation each year the wife wants to murder me in my sleep.  she's like you and i'm usually falling asleep mid take off when the front wheels are lifting.  depending on the length of the flight sometimes i wake up when the captain dings the seat belt warning before landing.

• Like 1

usually a very busy time of year for me with little sleep.  i have but it's only nodding off for at most a handful of minutes.  that's during all day sits in funnels where i can't see far and wide with more to look at. there's no way i'll fall out.  my harness tether is never that loose.  even more so if i seem to be sleepy i'll push the prussic knot up to tighten the tether.  i will say after those few minutes of sleep though it's about equal to half a night.  when i perk back up i'm fired up and ready to go.

Oh man I think it's great to take a nap in a tree stand! Your up 20' in the air being rocked back and forth by a light breeze all wrapped up in expensive boots and hunting gear in a heavily padded tree stand.  No nagging wife or screaming kids! I think the less you obsess over getting a kill the more relaxed you become as a hunter and the better you hunt. Enjoy the time in the woods. Reeelllaaaaxxx it's what it's all about. I have even taken naps on moss beds on the top of a ridge it's great!   I love the 12:00 nap sometimes it gets me through the dead zone of the day to make it to the evening hunt.  Ever since I slowed down and relaxed my spot and stalk slowed down and became more effective as well. So I say relax I think the goonies said it best "don't you realize? The next time you see sky, it'll be over another town. The next time you take a test, it'll be in some other school. Our parents, they want the best of stuff for us. But right now, they got to do what's right for them. Because it's their time. Their time! Up there! Down here, it's our time. It's our time down here. That's all over the second we ride up Troy's bucket."  The woods are "our" time so I say enjoy them any way you like!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

when we fly for vacation each year the wife wants to murder me in my sleep.  she's like you and i'm usually falling asleep mid take off when the front wheels are lifting.  depending on the length of the flight sometimes i wake up when the captain dings the seat belt warning before landing.

When I came home from Alaska I slept straight through from Anchorage to Dallas.

3 minutes ago, covert said:

When I came home from Alaska I slept straight through from Anchorage to Dallas.

what's that 7 or 8 hours?  don't think i've slept that long.  we usually do cheaper shorter connecting flights too.  my wife would buy a ticket for where the plane was headed and let me sleep! haha

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

what's that 7 or 8 hours?  don't think i've slept that long.  we usually do cheaper shorter connecting flights too.  my wife would buy a ticket for where the plane was headed and let me sleep! haha

When I set up my return flight I did that on purpose.  Left Anchorage 8pm, arrived in Dallas 7am.  I say straight through but I'd wake up now and again for a few seconds, look around and right back to sleep. It was awesome. :D 

After driving back from a family Thanksgiving in VT I decided to head out for the afternoon watch. I was super tired but saw a lot of deer in the fields on the drive home. Got home and changed as quickly as possible and headed for my homemade stand in a large maple. With a light snow falling and my heated seat pad, I quickly nodded off. Next thing I know it's pitch black out and I have NO idea what is going on. It was after 9pm...I had been sleeping for hours. But I certainly was refreshed on the way out. I always wonder what I missed on watch that night.

• Like 1