do you get sleepy in the stand?

Robhuntandfish

A lot of people say they get sleepy in the stand, esp if its warm out.   I just never seem to have that problem.  I am just on point all the time and expect a deer to come out any minute.  Guess i dont have to worry about falling asleep and falling out of a stand!  But i do check the phone here and there.  Of course the mind wanders when sitting there but always expect to see something even at a distance. I have friends who bring something to read.......now that will put me to sleep.  Cant read for more than 15 minutes and I am out. But i cant tell you how many deer have come in or gone by without ever hearing a peep.  Do you bring something with you in stand? play games on the phone ?  or just hunt? or take a nap? lol 

Have been known to nap a time or two.especially on an afternoon sit after thanksgiving dinner.one year i sat down in an old bench seat out of a chevy pickup that was on the ground against the tree.ended up waking up to a doe infront of me at 50 yards watching me sleep!learned that lesson!only other time is when we had built a 3 man stand with walls,roof etc.dont feel comfortable doing it in ladder stand.

I love sleeping in my gun stand. its an old school homemade stand so its about 3 feet by 4 feet. If i fall out of my chair i'm not going far. Some of my best naps have come in that stand. I don't even care if I miss a deer because i'm sleeping. With 2 kids at home I don't get naps and don't get to sleep in ever. 

Ladder stands are a little harder to sleep in. I get tired but i'm not as comfortable with the idea of falling asleep and falling out. I do have a safety harness on but I really don't want to test it out.

• Like 1

I sleep in ground blinds and my summit Goliath. Ladder stands freak me out. The best sleep was in Oneanta   It was snowing heavily and I went to sit under a very thick pine tree. The snow was coming down hard and I was nice and comfy! I was awoken by 5-7 deer that had the same idea. It scared the crap outta me. 

• Like 2

I've been known to nod off in my ground blinds every now and then. Never have in a tree stand though, cause I'm afraid of heights.  About came out of my boots, the time a doe and fawn came up behind me while I was in a ground blind, nodded out, and blew from about ten yards away!!!     YEEEOW!!!!!.....

• Like 1

Sorta related story . My dad told me back in the 70s when him and my uncle hunted some state land in angelica, they would close down the bar in town, when my dad would get back to camp ,he would put on his camo,grab his bow and go sleep on the ground under his stand ,whenever he woke up he would climb up and start hunting.

• Like 1

I do. My summit viper climber is more comfortable than anybody has a right to be hanging in a tree. Comfy chair and padded back rest I do get sleepy. I spend a disproportionate amount of time surfing the net on my phone while hunting, so that helps keep me awake.

So far I've only ever fallen asleep once for a few minutes.

Another nod for the Summit Viper to be extremely comfortable   I can't fall asleep in the woods though as I'm too afraid to miss something . I'll tell you what though, Monday in the pop up blind for youth hunt it poured all morning. The rain pounding the top of the blind made me very sleepy. If it wasn't for trying to get my daughter a deer I may have dozed off.

I agree,the summit viper is a little too comfy. It weighs a ton though,so i feel i deserve a nap after hauling it into the woods. 

Well,it has happened once or twice,but not for long!

Also snoozed at the base of a pine tree once,very peaceful.

As i get older I find if i sit still for any amount if time i get sleepy. Might be a medical issue,haha.

• Like 2

I don't usually sleep while in a  tree stand.  In the ADK I will usually doze off when the sun hits my side of the mountain around 10-12 depending on where I am hunting.  A real good snow can sometimes send me into a deep sleep when I am wrapped up like a toddler with all the extra clothes.  I don't do it often and it is usually a short nap. 

There is nothing better than treestand sleeps! I have my most restful peaceful naps up in trees. Thats also probably the time the monster bucks I am after present me perfect broadside shots, laugh at my snoring then calmly walk away to be seen only on cams at night

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My main stand is a large two man ladderstand with comfy sling back chairs. I have taken a nap a time or two in that stand. Being used to that stand when I sit in another one I am usually to uncomfortable to sleep. I am very guilty of playing or reading on my phone on the stand. I have to bring a portable charger I use it so much. I also have found that I sleep in the stand a lot less since having a "smart phone" so I guess sort of paying attention is a lot better than sleeping. Before  having access to almost anything via my phone, I used to wonder how many deer I missed when I woke up from my naps...

I have nodded off during all-day sits - especially in that 1-3 PM range. Most often it's not the first day or two, but if I am doing a few in a row, the lack of sleep catches up to you. The head bob 15' up is scary, ha. When I know I am tired, I'll climb down and sleep at the base before moving to the evening stand. Oddly enough, I have never went back to the truck and nodded off before heading back in for the PM. Never really understood why, except maybe unless it's really cold out. If I am sleeping, I want to have at least a one in a million chance of waking up and being able to shoot a deer, so might as well sleep in the woods.

As of late, my hunting partners don't let me get to all-day sits. They like steak and eggs, haha. Maybe this is the year I get them to sit all day.

• Like 2