Busted hunting on Staten Island

steve863

26 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Just to get back to the O.P. here.

It should not be illegal to hunt deer on Staten Island with archery equipment and the charges filed against this man are ludicrous.  There are real criminals running around that place and the law is not doing crap about them. 

If he had a bow license and wasn't using corn in the woods, give this guy a ticket for hunting in a no hunting zone and using a crossbow and leave it at that.  

If deer hunting is not allowed there soon, the people will soon regret it, as the overpopulation will cause real problems at huge taxpayer expense.  Check out the history of Princeton, NJ if you doubt it.

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

This is to the original post because it brought up "other things" . like that FB thing....They went after guns and It really does look like they are going after any bow equipment too...weapons a weapon, it is a logical next step vilify them first, then.........but hey as long as we are fighting amongst our selves who'll notice...:wink:

50 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Just to get back to the O.P. here.

It should not be illegal to hunt deer on Staten Island with archery equipment and the charges filed against this man are ludicrous.  There are real criminals running around that place and the law is not doing crap about them. 

If he had a bow license and wasn't using corn in the woods, give this guy a ticket for hunting in a no hunting zone and using a crossbow and leave it at that.  

If deer hunting is not allowed there soon, the people will soon regret it, as the overpopulation will cause real problems at huge taxpayer expense.  Check out the history of Princeton, NJ if you doubt it.

Only a ticket for hunting in a no hunting zone?  How stupid can someone be to actually think that there is a hunting season within NYC limits?  You'd have to be pretty dumb, I tell you.

Who in their right mind would ever want to hunt in a place like Staten Island even if they did open it to hunting (which will NEVER happen, I can assure you)?  It would be a media circus of epic proportion.  They'd have news cameras up your ass while you'd be climbing into your treestand.  Anyone who would want to subject themselves to a hunt like that would be nuts, and probably would be safer locked up in jail with Bubba the sweaty inmate you'd be sharing a cell with!

• Like 1

The guy was " low hanging fruit " , same as arresting tourists with lockblade knives . Nice safe arrests, that builds up, and the numbers .

Hit him up on the hunting charges , and keep a close eye on him back home .

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Only a ticket for hunting in a no hunting zone?  How stupid can someone be to actually think that there is a hunting season within NYC limits?  You'd have to be pretty dumb, I tell you.

Who in their right mind would ever want to hunt in a place like Staten Island even if they did open it to hunting (which will NEVER happen, I can assure you)?  It would be a media circus of epic proportion.  They'd have news cameras up your ass while you'd be climbing into your treestand.  Anyone who would want to subject themselves to a hunt like that would be nuts, and probably would be safer locked up in jail with Bubba the sweaty inmate you'd be sharing a cell with!

Most people don't think of Staten Island as NYC, or even a part of it.  It used to be very rural and people used to hunt there in the 1960's.  I used to visit relatives there and they did all sorts of hunting, fishing, trapping and even clamming on the Raritan Bay shores.  That was before the Verrazano opened, which they referred to as the "death of Staten Island".

Special permits could be issued for restricted areas and nobody without a permit could enter the area.  The media would have to ambush you at your car.  I for one, would look forward to educating the morons in NYC who have no idea why controlling the deer population on S.I. would be a wise thing to do.

I would very much look forward to changing the citiot's narrative on deer hunting.  I have no fear of debating people who have no idea what they are talking about.  But, I would worry about vindictive retaliation from those who lose the debate and let their hate get the better of them. 

I guess I would just leave the face net on and adopt my "Rattler" moniker when on camera.

I'd take the chance for a shot at a nice 12 pointer.

5 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Most people don't think of Staten Island as NYC, or even a part of it.  It used to be very rural and people used to hunt there in the 1960's.  I used to visit relatives there and they did all sorts of hunting, fishing, trapping and even clamming on the Raritan Bay shores.  That was before the Verrazano opened, which they referred to as the "death of Staten Island".

Special permits could be issued for restricted areas and nobody without a permit could enter the area.  The media would have to ambush you at your car.  I for one, would look forward to educating the morons in NYC who have no idea why controlling the deer population on S.I. would be a wise thing to do.

I would very much look forward to changing the citiot's narrative on deer hunting.  I have no fear of debating people who have no idea what they are talking about.  But, I would worry about vindictive retaliation from those who lose the debate and let their hate get the better of them. 

I guess I would just leave the face net on and adopt my "Rattler" moniker when on camera.

I'd take the chance for a shot at a nice 12 pointer.

1960's isn't 2017.    The best thing they could do on Staten Island is to get sharpshooters to shoot EVERY deer on the island.   Honestly, no reason for them to be there.  This is the ONLY viable solution to deer on Staten Island.   Hunting will NEVER be opened there, so the sharpshooters are the only real solution.

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

1960's isn't 2017.    The best thing they could do on Staten Island is to get sharpshooters to shoot EVERY deer on the island.   Honestly, no reason for them to be there.  This is the ONLY viable solution to deer on Staten Island.   Hunting will NEVER be opened there, so the sharpshooters are the only real solution.

I agree it's not 1960 anymore.  Many things have changed.  They all got worse.  But hunting didn't create any of their problems.  They have hunting on Long Island, right?

The locals allowed the problem to get real bad in Princeton, NJ after years of denying bow hunting there.  Sharp shooters were brought in using AR's, night vision, suppressors and bait piles to kill the deer at night.  (None of which was legal for any hunters in NJ)  They charged taxpayers $1000 per deer, and left many of them to rot.  Nobody ever verified what they did with the meat either.  Maybe if the public was more informed of these facts, bow hunters wouldn't be seen as a "never" with regard to the solution.

NJ Bow hunters would've paid well to do it for them.  It's all about control!  The rich bass turds living there hate hunters and want to be able to control everyone in their town at all times.  I don't see how that's the best thing to do.  Why is it considered gospel that bow hunting would never be allowed there?  It has to be sold to the public, and based on the facts, with a lot of determination, I'll wager it could be accomplished.  They may just have to wait until the problem is so bad it cannot be ignored.  Fighting the implementation of sharpshooters would have to be a top priority for bow hunters though.  I'll also bet there are plenty of organic food eaters on S.I. that would be interested in supporting it if they could have a chance of getting the meat. 

Sharpshooters are NOT the solution, they are part of the problem.

Bowhunting has never been very effective in significantly reducing deer populations where there are too many.  Staten Island is nothing like Long Island or Princeton.   Long Island has too many deer for sharpshooters to ever kill them all.  It's too late on LI.  You can kill all the deer in Princeton, and more will come in from surrounding areas since it's not and Island.  Staten Island still has a small enough deer population for sharpshooters to be effective.   They can most certainly reduce the herd significantly if not completely.  And even if you had the odd deer swim over to Staten Island from NJ, it would take years for them re-establish.  Yes, sharpshooters might cost some money, but it would be the quickest solution to the problem.  Having bowhunters try to kill them off would take forever in comparison, and simply be a media circus hunters EVERYWHERE don't need. 

Why do you think they need to kill them all off?  Controlling the population is all that's needed and opening an opportunity for bow hunters is a good thing.  The money the area would take in from it would be big too.  It should be looked at with the idea of creating a long term outdoor opportunity, not an extermination.  NY's DEC is really dropping the ball on this one.  I don't see why bow hunters should be ashamed of what we do either.

Edited by Rattler

Agree with rattler on this, DEC is literally costing the state of new York big money.

They could lotto pick hunters and continue to monitor just as they do for dmp's. Bow only, and limit where hunters could actually hunt.

This is a no brained. But then again I don't work for NYS

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steve863 said:

Bowhunting has never been very effective in significantly reducing deer populations where there are too many.  Staten Island is nothing like Long Island or Princeton.   Long Island has too many deer for sharpshooters to ever kill them all.  It's too late on LI.  You can kill all the deer in Princeton, and more will come in from surrounding areas since it's not and Island.  Staten Island still has a small enough deer population for sharpshooters to be effective.   They can most certainly reduce the herd significantly if not completely.  And even if you had the odd deer swim over to Staten Island from NJ, it would take years for them re-establish.  Yes, sharpshooters might cost some money, but it would be the quickest solution to the problem.  Having bowhunters try to kill them off would take forever in comparison, and simply be a media circus hunters EVERYWHERE don't need. 

There is no need to kill them all. Just recently we had an area on Long Island that had previously been off limits to hunting. Deer were everywhere. It was out of control. WITHOUT the use of sharpshooters, the population was quickly brought under control in a highly residential area. Yes there are still deer in the area, but numbers are way down and I'm sure that they will be reduced even further this year, at zero cost to the taxpayers. 

• Like 1

I hereby nominate the above three posters to organize the deer hunt on Staten Island.  They are too be fully responsible for all the logistics, red tape and BS that will surround such a hunt.  They will also act as the hunters public relations representatives for this hunt in the biggest, most left-wing media market in the US.  They will also act as lobbyists within the NYC council to make sure that such a hunt does not get blocked by the majority liberal politicians in NYC.  This letter is hereby forwarded to the NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation.  Good luck boys, you will need it!!

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2017 at 1:43 PM, steve863 said:

Did he actually think he'd be able to put a deer down, drag it out, and not be seen by anyone?  Staten Island may not be as populated as Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx, but it sure as hell isn't the Adirondacks neither!    I've always said that New Yorkers would sooner come to the aid of a dog, cat or any animal before they would another human being.   Knowing that this guy wanted to kill a deer, they'll probably want to burn him at the stake!!!

Believe it or not there is actually alot of woods where he was hunting and alot of giant bucks.  Getting a deer out would not be easy but a few years back I heard of a giant being shot down there and the hunter got busted taking him out by boat......

9 hours ago, steve863 said:

I hereby nominate the above three posters to organize the deer hunt on Staten Island.  They are too be fully responsible for all the logistics, red tape and BS that will surround such a hunt.  They will also act as the hunters public relations representatives for this hunt in the biggest, most left-wing media market in the US.  They will also act as lobbyists within the NYC council to make sure that such a hunt does not get blocked by the majority liberal politicians in NYC.  This letter is hereby forwarded to the NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation.  Good luck boys, you will need it!!

I love a good fight for what is right.  If it comes with a decent salary, I'm in.