Bow hunting with rain gear on

Doc

I have overpriced badlands rain gear which does not breathe is not comfortable and is loud.

Went with kryptec vellus fleece jacket and pants this season only got to wear it opening day (36*) and today (just the jacket).  Supposed to be good w/layering from early to late season (0-50*).

It is warm so I was only wearing  a tank top to my tree and I waited until the rain chilled me completely before I put it on pitzips open.

i must wear stuff fully zipped for string clearance but man I was comfortable in 60* with steady drizzle and occasional gusts much more than I would have been in the garbage bag I mean badlands gear.

Fleece obviously totally silent and super comfy this stuff is also waterproof/windproof. I also have firstlight lightweight merino wool pants that stay warm even if wet.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

i have field & stream rain gear i got years ago that wasn't too expensive.  not very noisy at all.  i wear it if i think it'll rain at all.  baseball style hat underneath the hood. i've taken more than a few deer standing less than 20 yards away with my bows and that rain gear on.

• Like 1

Do you use an arm guard?  I use one over all the layers to keep the holding arm clear, that is usually the only location to worry about.  After you get that cleared you should be ok.   If your jacket gets in the way you need to zip it up for shots or get one that doesn't interfere. 

i will not bow hunt in the rain, nor if there is a strong possibility of it raining shortly after the hunt.

I take only high percentage close shots and even with that I have had several deer take a partial step between the time my brain says release and my fingers respond thus going from a lung shot to liver shot.

What you do after the shot WILL dictate the outcome, you make a bad shot and its raining you have 2 choices either get down and follow/chase the animal or walk away and hope it only goes a short distance and dies and you can find it via grid searching because with rain you are going to have little to no blood to follow.

for me there is no way I am taking an avoidable loss possibility shot because of rain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigVal said:

I wear the stuff that's like 9.99 and is plastic. Put my camo over it and sweat my balls off in it. Someday when I'm not broke I'll buy better stuff. 

I got the badlands stuff 3 seasons ago, just a bit more than 9.99 (teehee) but same effect...

So last season I opted fur extra layers (poly and wool only, cotton kills) and just accepted getting soaked.  

Better than sweating, in fact it's active scent control...that said I'm enjoying dryness in the krypec so far this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, reeltime said:

i will not bow hunt in the rain, nor if there is a strong possibility of it raining shortly after the hunt.

I take only high percentage close shots and even with that I have had several deer take a partial step between the time my brain says release and my fingers respond thus going from a lung shot to liver shot.

What you do after the shot WILL dictate the outcome, you make a bad shot and its raining you have 2 choices either get down and follow/chase the animal or walk away and hope it only goes a short distance and dies and you can find it via grid searching because with rain you are going to have little to no blood to follow.

for me there is no way I am taking an avoidable loss possibility shot because of rain.

My experience is anything less than a downpour tends to dilute/spread blood trails but not wash them away...can actually help a little in a pin drop trail.

If you aren't in the stand as systems collide you are missing out...don't have to shoot when it's pouring...I don't see them as much then anyway, but after it breaks, gotta pay to play!

Like any other factor considerate it in your shot selection, ethical range, etc.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, reeltime said:

dude the almighty crossbow cures all problems in archery don'tcha know.lol

Not in my house. While I can see the interest in crossbows and how they could be fun to hunt with. I just doesn't appeal to me as much. I like matching wits with the whitetail and don't find it necessary to make the "long shot"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, reeltime said:

I use to think the same thing about rain, however I picked up a night time blood tracking product called bloodglow that is supposed to work even better in the rain.  You mix it with water and it makes blood glow bright green in the dark under the star and moonlight.  Now I hunt right up to sunset even in the pouring rain (with my crossbow during the open part of the season, from a covered blind).  During archery season, the action is usually best right before sunset, so why not take advantage of a little modern CSI technology to hunt that time, regardless of weather ?   

My first crossbow hunt this year will be Friday, up in the northern zone, and I think there is a chance of rain.  On one hand, I am hoping any deer I hit will drop dead in sight or close enough to hear crash, as they all have so far.  On the other hand, I would really like to get a chance to see if that bloodglow works like it is supposed to.  

Edited by wolc123