Bow hunting with rain gear on

Doc

I havn't found any rain gear that isn't noisy or doesn't cause me to sweat wearing it . Hunting in a misty rain or slight drizzle isn't too bad but I am out of there if there is a downpour . I wear the fleece Scent Blocker camo and if I sit in a mild drizzle , it feels like an extra 4 pounds when it gets wet . 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Thanks for apologizing for hijacking the rain gear thread with your "rain hunting is bad ethics because..." statement.  Cuz you did.

Again I never said a word about ethics. my original statement stands I do not bowhunt in the rain.

49 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

If you ever want to try it (you might not even melt buckmaster) come back to this thread for some good advice.

buckmaster? lol

To Review:

I'm happy with Kryptec did not like Badlands.

Doc,  

look at some of the waterfowl gear, that gear is generally produced for inclement weather.

I took an old set of early season waders and cut the boot section off and put those on with a non leaky boot.  they fit snug and keep your lower extremities dry and warm, altho not something I would walk all day in.

one thing not to skimp on is  a good goretex hat, if you can keep your head and neck warm and dry that is half the battle.  

what I do duck hunting is I have a lighter waterproof wader jacket/sweatshirt on over the waders, then i put my good heavy waterproof coat over my shoulders and put the hood up but don't put my arms in the sleeves, its kind of like how the football players stand on the sidelines in inclement weather.

just as in bow hunting swinging a shotgun on birds you have to have good form and less restriction to shoot accurately.  when ducks come in i simply shed the overcoat and shoot, im sure you could do the same type of deal by dropping it onto the seat. 

8 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I havn't found any rain gear that isn't noisy or doesn't cause me to sweat wearing it . Hunting in a misty rain or slight drizzle isn't too bad but I am out of there if there is a downpour . I wear the fleece Scent Blocker camo and if I sit in a mild drizzle , it feels like an extra 4 pounds when it gets wet . 

I bought some water proof fleece stuff from dicks a long time ago probably 6 or 7 years ago, it doesn't breathe all that great but is nice and quiet. Never really felt any heavier when it was raining.

@Doc Have you thought about spraying some waterproofing stuff on your clothes?

Edited by chas0218

I use the

Cabela's Men's MT050® Quiet Pack™ Rain Jacket with GORE-TEX® – Regular

I like it a lot breaths fairly well. I really only trust gortex Laminates for breathability and water proofness. However using its always a trade when try to stay waterproof vs. breath ability. I do wish it had pit zips. I wish ALL jackets had them. it isnt very loud IMO . I have heard for rain wear Cabelas silent suede is some of the best for being quiet and keeping you dry.  Also be aware if choosing Cabelas wait for sales i paid half of the going price listed currently.

Im not sure what size you are but camofire has UNDER ARMOUR GORE TEX ESSENTIAL RAIN PANT at 50% off.

I wear the same gore Tex camo I've had for many years no idea the brand , but it's kinda worn and faded .

I don't bow hunt in the rain either , sure I'll go in if its a light rain that's ending soon or wait out a short sprinkle . 

Such a long season and I have so much time off, I'd just rather not, same for sitting on the patio or riding my bike around the neighborhood . If I'm going to get wet on purpose it'll be in the hot tub ..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chas0218 said:

I bought some water proof fleece stuff from dicks a long time ago probably 6 or 7 years ago, it doesn't breathe all that great but is nice and quiet. Never really felt any heavier when it was raining.

@Doc Have you thought about spraying some waterproofing stuff on your clothes?

Does it work?

Have a 20$ waterproof jacket from Wal-Mart. It's just a shell.

It is definitely waterproof. And man does it make me sweat so it's not very breathable.

It has a brushed fabric on the outside (camo) with the waterproof liner inside.

Feels soaked to the touch but dry as mars underneath.

Packs fairly small so if there's chance of rain I just strap it to my pack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 10/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, reeltime said:

one thing not to skimp on is  a good goretex hat, if you can keep your head and neck warm and dry that is half the battle.  

This is the one piece of my kit I was missing so I took your advice and did not skimp on a Sitka incinerator.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

I will sit in a downpour if I know it is going to end, especially if it is tied to a front leaving or just before the sun is setting. I'll also gladly sit on one of those grey overcast days where it drizzles all day long.

If you are buying rain gear, I say spend the money on a quality set. They will last. I have Guide Series (Gander's in house brand pre-close), and I am running on 10 or more years for the set, and recently only went and bought a new jacket because I thought I lost the original (I later found it in a bag of hunting clothes).

If I were to buy another set, I'd probably break down and buy Sitka's rain gear. That set-up will last a long time and it is very well thought out with respect to keeping certain areas free from drips, leeching, and breathing options (zipper locations to provide air). Stupid expensive, but on a 10 year lifespan, it's pretty reasonable.

Both brands are pretty quiet.

Love my cabelas gore-Tex bibs and parka. Used to have the scent-lok stuff but the lineing on both pieces eventually tore out, and when I returned it to cabellas they didnt have the scent lok so I got it without instead. Actually far prefer it without—a hell of a lot lighter and cooler. Love the quiet chamois finish on the jacket—zero noise or restriction on the draw. Bibs I wish were smooth tho—the soft fabric collects burrs, and when enough collect on my legs I start to sound like Velcro when I walk. The parka is actually my go-to 2nd layer at this time of the year rain or shine. I spread it out behind me in the tree so I can get it on with minimal movement when I cool down from the walk out. Downsides: Armpit zips would be nice, and the Velcro straps at the wrist cuffs were a PITA—inevitably cinched up tight when I was quietly trying to ease the jacket on while in a tree. so I cut them off flush to the jacket and all better-er

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk