So Much For "Stealh Cams"

Steve D

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I have pics of deer staring right into cam and coming back the next day

Maybe stupid ones but not older bucks, did you see that bucks reaction. I doubt you will catch him again in that spot. Yrs ago I had a white flash hung near my stand and had a doe walk in front of it and it nearly crapped it's pants before jumping away.

Edited by zag

1 minute ago, zag said:

Maybe stupid ones but older bucks, did you see that bucks reaction. I doubt you will catch him again in that spot. Yrs ago I had a white flash hung near my stand and had a doe walk in front of it and it nearly crapped it's pants before jumping away.

I don’t use white flash. Mine are IR, and yes they come back.

9 minutes ago, zag said:

Does that have a white flash?? Yeah toss it, that will ruin a spot fast.

No White Flash

18 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Which model? Hope that buck works out for you. Did any clear pictures come out

It's a STC "No Glow"

Just found it odd that they both spotted it right away when it was completely camouflaged and out of sight. I did get some clear pictures but it was rainy/foggy the night they were taken

12 minutes ago, zag said:

Maybe stupid ones but older bucks, did you see that bucks reaction. I doubt you will catch him again in that spot.

No doubt I won't see him. Most of the deer that come through this area are at night. Don't get many daytime pics.

Its not always the "Glow" or the "light" of the cameras "flash" that they see. It could be the actual camera its self, that they dont like. If it sticks out like a sore thumb it can catch any eye that walks near it. Camouflage it a little bit and try it on a new tree a little ways away or a new spot.  Its a sense of security to some(not all) deer, just like us. If some stranger puts something in your living room that looks weird or out of place. We wouldn't be comfortable with it either. Id just brush it in some or hang it higher on a new tree. If you have that buck in the area regularly, he will be back, just maybe not in that exact same spot he is here.. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I was given a Stealth for Christmas last year. It’s junk. If it wasn’t a gift I’d have gotten rid of it already. I’m currently using it to get pics of people driving trucks on the property, etc. I can’t identify any of the deer it gets pics of. 

I agree. Owned 3 over 15 years now and all junk. I did consider getting a cheaper cam for security purposes or in high risk locations though. 

Hang the cam much higher, deer tend to ignore the light from above much more than when it is at eye level.  It is also much harder for them to see and detect that it is present.  People tend to not see it as often also as I have a few out at our archery range and NO one has seen them yet!    Check this video out its very informative. 

• Like 1

use a lot of cams and deer often look at them, smell them etc.  Have pics of deer rubbing tree that the cam was on.  Have deer noses right in camera.  Its different and in their living room they will check it out.  Sometimes the little red dot even seems to spook them.  Best luck I have had is to angle them down a little.  seems to help them to notice less.  

4 hours ago, brownclown said:

there is also the scent aspect. do you wipe your cams down in scent eliminating spray? do you wear gloves when putting up, on each and every time you change cards?

I purposely put the camera low for a reason. They were out untouched for two weeks so any scent that may have been on them was gone. The picture I didn't post (the first one) shows her at the end of the camera beam. She deliberately made a turn and headed right for the camera. As you can tell from the buck he picked up on it before he even stepped in front of it.

I usually hang them higher but put it low for an experiment. I have had them walk up to cams before but never as readily as these two did.