I screwed up

RobC

Hey guys long time member but haven't posted in awhile. So I got a traditions percussion muzzleloader pistol awhile back and took it to the range to try it out. Well I got to talking and not paying attention and I loaded a wad and ball in BUT....... forgot to put powder in the damn thing. I'm sure you guys can figure out my embarrassment at the time. So now what do I do. I don't think the barrel comes apart where I can just push it through on end or the other. I've thought of ways to drill it out in chunks but really dont want to do that. I know its a cheap gun but I still don't want to risk damaging the barrel. I've thought about drilling a hole through the the center of bullet and trying to pull the wad out and dump powder through the bullet but I'm thinking thats a far shot. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Or do I just take it to a gun smith or try sending it back to traditions?

20161225_180136.jpg

Do not dispair, for there is a very easy and safe solution to your problem.   I did the same thing with an old traditions "fox-river 50" about 20 years ago (some beer was involved).  Here is what you do:

1) Use a screwdriver to remove the little screw in the end of the nipple port, and/or remove the nipple with a nipple wrench.  

2) Pour a little powder into the nipple channel thru the threaded opening(s).  That powder will end up behind the bullet.  A nipple pick, or a pin can be used to force in a little more powder.  You will not be able to get a full charge in there but plenty to force the bullet out of the end of the short pistol barrel.

3) Re install the screw and/or nipple

4) install a cap, point in a safe direction, and pull the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to get back. I found one of those screws for my cleaning rod in a bunch of muzzleloader odds and ends I had. Don't know why I was trying to make it harder then it had to be. So simple. 5 mins of tug a war with the wife and I had it out. Thanks again for the help guys.

• Like 1