Rain Gear?

Lawdwaz

I'm thinking I need some new rain gear.  I've had some good stuff over the years; Helly Hansen commercial fishing gear & Impertech, Marmot Precip and Cabela's Goretex but they all have a shelf life..........The heavy HH Commercial stuff is easily the best way to stay dry on the outside but you'll get wet on the inside if you exert yourself much.  The other stuff all starts to leak/deteriorate at some point. 

What are you guys/gals using for a dual purpose (hunting/around town) rain coat? 

No camo needed, just something in an OD/brown/green etc color......

Thanks

I am about to start my first hunt of the season up in the Northern zone for some crossbow/ML hunting and it looks like there is rain in the forecast.  My rain protection failed me last year on that trip and I ended up getting soaked to the skin.  I used one of those tree umbrellas, combined with a hammock seat.  The problem was that the hammock seat collected water from the tree like a bowl and I got soaked from the bottom up.  This year, I picked up one of those cheap $ 8 stools from Aldi's sale a few weeks ago, which should solve that problem when used with the tree umbrella. I also picked up a $ 30 pop-up blind, at the same sale, which is supposed to be water resistant.   

For outerwear, I go with a 10X Goretex, light-weight cammo rain jacket that I picket up from BPS about 15 years ago.   It still keeps me dry (up top) but is kind of noisy.  This year, I am also bringing along a cheap pair of dark green, light-weight rubber bibs that will hopefully work on the lower end.  "Water resistant" thinsulate-lined cammo bibs failed me last year.   

I have killed lots of deer on rainy days at home in the Southern zone where I have three enclosed metal-roofed blinds that are very comfortable, no matter how hard it comes down or how windy it gets.   Hopefully the new canvas pop-up blind, free-standing stool, tree umbrella and improved rain gear will do the trick up north.  Getting soaked to the skin sucks.  At least it is not as bad when it is warm, which it looks like it will be this weekend.    

I won a Game hide  rain suite...actually got it free for a review...worth just under 200 dollars and it is awesome...have another I bought...Habitat((?) it is the worst.won't breath and I'm soaked inside and out in the darn thing and it crinkles...Though good for winter layering

Some day I'll man up and drop some coin on some Goretex  or something of that caliber. My 15+ year old Field and stream suit is as waterproof as a submarine with a screen door. Think I paid about a hundy for it back then. Cripes , my legs were soaked walking thru rain and wet brush Monday. Wonder if I can treat it with a tent spray or something. Just may resort to wearing Hefty bags from now on. 

I just went through the process of shopping for rain gear for my archery elk hunt in the Rockies. Long story short finding quiet rain gear is difficult. Finding quiet rain gear that is breathable and waterproof is near impossible. Either way after testing a ton of brands, I settled on the Badlands Alpha rain jacket and pants. Their Exo rain gear is more lightweight and packable. It's amazingly quiet and saved my butt in the Rockies for 3 days of nonstop rain/snow/hail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Arcteryx shell is both the best foul weather jacket I ever purchased and easily the most expensive.  Rain and snow beads up and rolls right off.  Definitely recommend.

This pic was taken on the summit of Rocky Peak Ridge, one of the ADK 46ers.  Temp with wind chill was about -5 degrees, but this shell totally stonewalls the wind and holds in body heat.  I only wore a heavyweight poloypro base layer with a moisture wicking shirt underneath.  

FB_IMG_1504084669408.jpg

Edited by Jdubs

They sell it at walmart. Check it out first. Poor durability, it's like a cheap cloth material that reminds me of those $1 reusable bags at grocery store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk