Patent for Hunting Product?

1 minute ago, philoshop said:

If you don't care about the rights, send the idea to companies that have the resources to develop, manufacture, and market it. They're very open to free ideas and suggestions. It cuts down on their R&D costs, and if they get the slightest whiff of it they'll steal it from you anyway.

Yea this is what I am thinking. The company that makes the product would be best fit to modify it based on my suggestion. But I would hate to see it become super successful/lucrative and I get nothing lol.

Pinstripe camo with the #99 in overlapping patterns?  A summer sausage grunt tube?  A trail cam that emits soft sexy doe bleats?  Boots with built in GPS, so you never get lost and can find stands in the pitch dark?  Arrows and bullets, designed to fly around trees? Whatcha got? C'mon Biz, the suspense is killing me!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea this is what I am thinking. The company that makes the product would be best fit to modify it based on my suggestion. But I would hate to see it become super successful/lucrative and I get nothing lol.

It's not likely you'll ever be compensated monetarily for your input, but it's possible that they would include your name in the new product if you push hard enough. "The new and improved Biz-R-O grunt call" or something. :drinks: Sorry.

I have several patents, but unfortunately the company that I worked for owned rights to all patents and all intellectual property that employees came up with that related to or could relate to their business. It was part of the terms of employment. And of course they had a battery of patent attorneys on the payroll to do the searches and file the patents. It is not a cheap process, so if as an individual you are going to hire an attorney and move through the process yourself, it is a huge gamble, and you had better have the cash to convert it from a patented idea to a marketable product. Or you need the confidence that some entrepreneur will pay cash for the rights to the idea. I have many inventions laying in my shop downstairs that I have actually used that I watched others eventually patent and market. Probably the best one was a magnetic arrowrest that several years later someone marketed as the Terry Rest. They sold a bunch of them.

invent02.JPG.b1a9bddecc514ecac5992158ccf71ad9.JPG

There was also a bow level that I never perfected. It worked on the principle of a pendulum wire that would quickly align with a scribed vertical line to show when bow was canted or not. I also did sights and lighted sights and a whole lot of other products. There also was my tube sight that could only be looked down through in only one  way, which got rid of a whole variety of grip variations and torqueing problems. It was an early version of a "front/rear" sight. There were problems with coming up with a workable prototype with the limited tools in my shop.

None of these and other products were ever pursued because of patent costs. So I just used some of them for my own use, and they served their purpose until somebody came along with better ideas.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Is it an ethical blind that you hang on a tree so you're up off the ground?

No. Treestands are worse than illegal bait. #cheaters

I reached out to the company on instagram and told them I have an idea to enhance one of their products to the benefit of many hunters, but I doubt i'll hear back. As directed by a Patent attorney, I emailed myself the full description of my idea so that there is record of this idea on today's date. I really just want the product created for my use for hunting season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But I would hate to see it become super successful/lucrative and I get nothing lol.

Ohhh, you'll get something for your idea..........a banana in the tailpipe.  :)

Seriously, that product IS out there, your just searching in the wrong area.  Talk to me Goose..........

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Ohhh, you'll get something for your idea..........a banana in the tailpipe.  :)

Seriously, that product IS out there, your just searching in the wrong area.  Talk to me Goose..........

I’m really good at researching and finding things. But I’ve tried for like a month to find a version of a product I already have but no luck. I doubt it’s hard to make, just shocked I can’t find it anywhere

A patent is only worth the money you have to keep going to court to protect it. I spent 15 years building injection molds before going to the auto industry . i have seen a lot of shady things happen . One guy had a legitimate project that would have made him and future generations of his family very wealthy and big corporations kept him in court til he couldn't  afford to fight them anymore. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

A patent is only worth the money you have to keep going to court to protect it. I spent 15 years building injection molds before going to the auto industry . i have seen a lot of shady things happen . One guy had a legitimate project that would have made him and future generations of his family very wealthy and big corporations kept him in court til he couldn't  afford to fight them anymore. 

That’s the thing, I don’t think a patent is worth it. There may be a patent for what I need and there is definitely already a patent for the main product. I simply want the two of them combined, which nobody has for sale

I have a product that i never took to market ,my old employer was all set to let me build a mold for it and help me package and sell them as well as cover the cost of materials .It was his last ditch effort to keep me from leaving . I never had any intention of getting a patent ,just make some money until someone stole the idea and had it made in China . 

I heard one of my old employers was getting sued by a customer , apparently he sent the designs for his product to him for a quote ,well he was a cheapskate and sent the prints to an operation in china to get quoted ,he would then add some money to the cost and charge the customer for the mold and then so much per part to run them . The place he sent the prints to in china stole the idea and started selling them . Not sure what ever happened with that but i know he closed down his shop around the same time.  

First you have to build a prototype. Then you have to use it and improve it   Then you need to have a few people sign confidentiality agreements. If they like it and think it is a product that hunters will like and buy then you may have something.  If there is nothing like this then the chance of a patent is small.  

• Like 2

On 10/13/2017 at 3:29 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Motion sensored. It's a trail cam that shoots based on rack-size.

Too late, I already have a patent on it. It's called the "slam cam". It acts like a normal cam but is equiped with gps, satelite, and laser dot aim... 5 shot crossbow.

Somewhere in the future one will be able to buy several such armed cams and place them out in the woods. When a buck passes by the cam will send an alert to the pc that is fused to the owners arm, where they will then see the deer and decide if you want to turn on the shoot feature. Once that is turned on, a red dot appears on the deer's vitals and you simply give the command to 'shoot'.

• Like 1

Biz One thing is for sure and others have mentioned this. Pantent are a waste of time and one thing I know for sure China doesn't honor them and will knock ya off. But this thread is a total waste of time unless you just tell us what your idea is so we can all look for someone who already makes it.

• Like 1

Alright here it is boys. Someone create it for me.

Of course, there is a patent on ground bow holders.

Of course, there is a patent on whatever spring thing is used for garbage cans that open by foot.

I have searched high and low but no luck finding what I want. What I want is my current bow stand to have a foot activated release. This way from the ground or ground blind my bow stands next to me but I can release the grip/jaws with a simple step of the foot and lift my bow up.

098e646d98c691db7ce4f78a65c7ae11.jpg

This product but with a foot trigger release. I messaged them (Pine Ridge Archery) on instagram asking if they can make this.

d4b65928b5f112509786cda35eb16959.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk