Assertive doe with 6th sense, memory, and sassy

Core

Earlier this week I was in my climber, bottom of it 15' off the ground. I was wearing camo except for my solid black long-sleeve shirt. The same shirt that last weekend I sat in for an hour with a doe bedded 26 yards from me and totally disinterested in me, despite its body pointed my way. 

I was in a ravine, 30 yards from the hill, and the hill was about 10 yards high.

70 yards away, directly down-wind, I see a small deer cross a path. Soon after a larger doe comes out and immediately looks at me. I am not moving at all, but it looks directly my way. It spends the next several minutes marching toward me stamping its front foot and bobbing its head up and down, looking at me the entire time. Finally it gets within 40 yards, decides it's seen enough, and it fairly casually jogs back down the trail and up the ravine out of view with three young ones.

5 minutes later I see deer at the top of the ravine. One of them is staring at me again. It comes to the top of the ravine stamping, bobbing its head. Eventually it starts blowing, but it does that several times out of total disgust at me, before turning away and taking its kids once again.

20-30 min after this I see, in the same spot, another deer (!)--yes the same one. Stares at me for a while. It doesn't blow at me, but it takes off.

Long story short

This doe made me 70 yards down wind as I was not moving, through a bit of brush. Got all pissy, came back later to check me out, then again later on. This thing was crazy assertive and that is not going to serve it well come gun season, but my suspicion is it made me by smell and then a combination of the climber looking like a big wart plus my black shirt (maybe) told it something was off.

I've since replaced the shirt with a camo one. I've never had a deer make me and do anything other than go away not to be seen again. Never seen one so assertive. 

• Like 1

I got stared at several times last night and it took a long time for them to finally decided I bothered them...yet other deer(more mature ) didn't look twice...These are deer getting shot at and missed...I am sure of it...Which ticks me off having lost 2 opportunities on two mature doe both in my best stand. never getting a chance to fling an arrow...I have been letting things settle and going to different zones..tonight we have swirling winds I will not muddy the waters..I'm really just doe hunting at this point... Around here as the weeks pass more and more deer are getting educated They all look like snoopy doing his dance by week 3:mda:

Tip: if ya shoot and miss or even shoot and connect ...BE QUIET and don't go moving all around up there...There are still deer in the woods and you can bet your bippy, they are watching and learning!:wink:

Had a similar situation a few years ago.  The lead doe in a small group must have seen me move while I was in a well brushed in elevated stand about 25-30 yards away.  That doe had a fit - snorting, stomping, staring, head bobbing, and basically being a nuisance for what seemed like an age, but in reality was likely just a few minutes.  Eventually all the deer buggered off, and I thought my hunt was over.  Surely, every critter within earshot must have heard the commotion.

My hunt was ruined!......or so I thought, as I sat there dejected.  Fortunately, I did not pack it in there and then.  About 15 minutes later, a careless doe came through the same trail and I arrowed it at 20 yards.  I could not believe my luck.  Don't lose hope or give up on a stand that is in a good location.  On the other hand, later that same season I was busted again from another stand by that same lead doe.  I carried a grudge against that doe the rest of the season, but never connected. 

• Like 1

There's one EVERY single year...I met mine last night...she had  no idea where or what direction to point her angst.. so she stomped around in circles and had her neck stretched to it's limit and looked like a telescope on a submarine. Bless her though..out of time and bow on ground..I really didn't want to eat dinner at 9 ,because I was stuck in a stand.^_^

I had 3 I saw with the eye shine at dark going in opening day about 40 yards away.  No snort and they for some reason did not bolt and allowed me in my stand with no problem.  1 hour after light all 3 circled me and one came in at 12 yards checking the doe P.  She was what looked like a yearling to me and I checked her hall pass and it was good so she got a free pass.  The other 2 stayed out at 30 yards, I could have taken 2 but I was not interested in them as this was a big buck spot.  

Last week I had one at 20 yards that saw me walking in, another yearling with a fawn.  After exploring for a few hours I went back to the truck and then checked the same spot, guess who busted me AGAIN!  The exact same doe in the same spot.  No stomping she just left again with the fawn but this time she snorted a bit about 50 yards in thick cover.  

I had one in the ADK that I tested a few times and every single time she would bust me.  If I had the chance I was going to take her but she pegged me 4 times in about a 6 year period and I would try different set ups every time in different locations.  She knew her wind currents and was always one step ahead of me.  They can be much more weary than bucks when they get some experience.  Any doe that busts any of my friends in a stand is one we want to take because they simply have an uncanny ability to pick is out regardless of location.  

I think because the older doe have smaller ranges they are much smarter than most deer because they have been in the area for so long they know all and see all! 

• Like 2