Interesting evening!

Buckmaster7600

Around 3pm a guy from work calls me and tells me that he was tracking a buck jumped it and can't find anymore blood and asks what he should do. I knew where he hunted and said I wasn't doing anything and I would drive over to help. I get there and find out that his friend hit it last night and they couldn't find it so came back today around noon and jumped him.

I find his bed and advance the blood trail another hundred yds and jump him again. I tell his buddy to go get his bow because he's hurt but still alive. He doesn't have his bow and neither does the other guy. So I go back to my truck and get my bow and start back on the blood and jump him again after another 150yds on very little blood and going very slow. This time he went down a bank across a creek and I think I can see him bedded on the other side about 200yds from where I'm standing. I tell them to stay here and I start sneaking around behind where I think he is bedded, he is there but because of terrain I couldn't get close without risking jumping him again and he is very close to a property line we couldn't cross. I range him at 86yds nock an arrow and let one fly I couldn't see for sure where I hit him but I knew I hit him he got up ran down into Creek towards me and never came out. I nocked another arrow and slowly made my way to the bank and found him dead in the water. I whistled to them and they came down we got him out of the water and am checking him over and that's when the excitement started.

His arrow hit him in the armpit and came out the front of his leg hard angle away only hit shoulder never went in chest cavity. I think he would have died but not anytime soon but he was hurting pretty bad. My arrow hit him in the heart with about 10" of penetration. So after we see where his shot was he looks at me and says "you're going to have to tag him, I don't feel right tagging him because it was clearly you that killed him." Now to say I lost it would be an understatement of the century. I am generally a really calm easy going guy but I lost it. I said a lot of things I shouldn't have and walked to my truck. Now that I'm looking back on it after cooling down a while I guess he could have been genuine about it but I honestly don't care. It would have been different if he said "he's yours if you want him" or something like that but he didn't. The buck was a stud for our area a 125" "gross" 9pt but not a buck I would shoot this early in the season. I was pretty excited, we found it and I made the shot of a lifetime then this guy says that. In the end I have no clue what he did with the buck and really don't care, I did my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Around 3pm a guy from work calls me and tells me that he was tracking a buck jumped it and can't find anymore blood and asks what he should do. I knew where he hunted and said I wasn't doing anything and I would drive over to help. I get there and find out that his friend hit it last night and they couldn't find it so came back today around noon and jumped him.

I find his bed and advance the blood trail another hundred yds and jump him again. I tell his buddy to go get his bow because he's hurt but still alive. He doesn't have his bow and neither does the other guy. So I go back to my truck and get my bow and start back on the blood and jump him again after another 150yds on very little blood and going very slow. This time he went down a bank across a creek and I think I can see him bedded on the other side about 200yds from where I'm standing. I tell them to stay here and I start sneaking around behind where I think he is bedded, he is there but because of terrain I couldn't get close without risking jumping him again and he is very close to a property line we couldn't cross. I range him at 86yds nock an arrow and let one fly I couldn't see for sure where I hit him but I knew I hit him he got up ran down into Creek towards me and never came out. I nocked another arrow and slowly made my way to the bank and found him dead in the water. I whistled to them and they came down we got him out of the water and am checking him over and that's when the excitement started.

His arrow hit him in the armpit and came out the front of his leg hard angle away only hit shoulder never went in chest cavity. I think he would have died but not anytime soon but he was hurting pretty bad. My arrow hit him in the heart with about 10" of penetration. So after we see where his shot was he looks at me and says "you're going to have to tag him, I don't feel right tagging him because it was clearly you that killed him." Now to say I lost it would be an understatement of the century. I am generally a really calm easy going guy but I lost it. I said a lot of things I shouldn't have and walked to my truck. Now that I'm looking back on it after cooling down a while I guess he could have been genuine about it but I honestly don't care. It would have been different if he said "he's yours if you want him" or something like that but he didn't. The buck was a stud for our area a 125" "gross" 9pt but not a buck I would shoot this early in the season. I was pretty excited, we found it and I made the shot of a lifetime then this guy says that. In the end I have no clue what he did with the buck and really don't care, I did my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool story. Deer look like squirrels to me at 86 yards. I don't understand why he would say you have to tag him. He should have told you that before the shot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know you have talked about shooting before so that is within your range for sure but on a buck at that distance still one hell of a shot!  Congrats and I totally understand getting upset, don't let it bother you.  Brush it off as making an awesome shot to finish a deer hit by a car. 

You did right by dropping what you were doing to offer help. That hunter never would have recovered "his" buck without your help. Your ethics and morals are truly commendable.  The other hunter should have voiced that to you, while tagging and dragging "his" buck. Don't let this stop you from helping the next time, for someone else. You are above all the bs. Nice job.

• Like 1