Who reuses broad heads?

NonTypical

I recently got into a discussion with someone that I hunt with occasionally. He was telling me how he was using a used BH when he missed a doe on opening day. I couldn't believe it. He was using a Montec that was used in a target. He also swears that he took 3 deer with 1 BH. Maybe it's the BH, but I shoot Thunder Heads and I replace the blades after every shot taken at an animal regardless. I checked a used head and it will not cut a piece of paper. 

Who here reuses their broad heads and what kind are you shooting?

• Like 1

125 grain Strickland Helix single bevel rediculously sharp out of the box.

Used the same BH and 520 grain arrow on both harvests this year though shoulders, spine and all kinds of junk.

It is back in the quiver ready for #3 but these are possibly the thickest and strongest broadheads on earth:

IMG_0531.thumb.PNG.408887fc3d4799bae04763a413e1108a.PNGIMG_0666.thumb.PNG.53b80a36dd7005096507818e081c4810.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

I use muzzy fixed blade and put new blades in after each shot. Can't really sharpen  these,but I think you can with the Montecs.

I do the same, Muzzy and replace them after each shot/kill.  I do believe my muzzy would probably kill several deer pretty easily if they're good shots.  The sharp blades allow for better blood trails though, duller blades allow blood to clot more easily.  It only makes sense to replace them, cheap enough to change and will help for a easier recovery.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

I do the same, Muzzy and replace them after each shot/kill.  I do believe my muzzy would probably kill several deer pretty easily if they're good shots.  The sharp blades allow for better blood trails though, duller blades allow blood to clot more easily.  It only makes sense to replace them, cheap enough to change and will help for a easier recovery.

Same here, used the same arrow/ broadhead with new blades on 5 deer. 5th one the arrow got stuck coming out the farside scapula and broke the shaft off. Muzzy 90gr. 4 blades. 

• Like 1

Most fixed blade BHs, esp Montec G5s like I used can be resharpened and used over & over again. Never used them, but have to assume those fixed blade BHs with replaceable blades are same scenario!?! Now I use a mechanical BH, one shot and then into practice BH pile. Spend way too much time waiting for that encounter to not have 100% confidence in my BH, arrow or any other piece of tackle.

That's what I figured from everyone's responses. Either replace or touch up with a stone. I still can't wrap my head around this guys reasoning. 

I've come to the conclusion that he is just too damn cheap, and unethical. Who in their right mind wouldn't want the cleanest, quickest kill possible. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 6:28 AM, NonTypical said:

I recently got into a discussion with someone that I hunt with occasionally. He was telling me how he was using a used BH when he missed a doe on opening day. I couldn't believe it. He was using a Montec that was used in a target. He also swears that he took 3 deer with 1 BH. Maybe it's the BH, but I shoot Thunder Heads and I replace the blades after every shot taken at an animal regardless. I checked a used head and it will not cut a piece of paper. 

Who here reuses their broad heads and what kind are you shooting?

I've taken 5 deer with the same Montec and used them for target practice as well. Take them for a trip around a good diamond stone and they are better than new. If there is no damage, why not use them?

On 10/15/2017 at 6:46 AM, NonTypical said:

That's what I figured from everyone's responses. Either replace or touch up with a stone. I still can't wrap my head around this guys reasoning. 

I've come to the conclusion that he is just too damn cheap, and unethical. Who in their right mind wouldn't want the cleanest, quickest kill possible. 

Did he say he didn't sharpen them?

I used to shoot Monetc, they are re usable, they just need to be cleaned and sharpened. Otherwise a very reliable and durable fixed blade, in fact its my favorite fixed blade head. Ive shot rage for a decade now and ill inspect the BH before re using it. Either replace the blades if bent or dull, or if in worse shape, just toss the head in the garbage. I have re sharpened rage blades at work on the surface grinders before or hand sharpened as well

22 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Rage are one and done from compound.  German kinetic silver flame are resharpened and used again.  Lost one BH tuning this year.  Expensive shot.  

Those are a pretty unique looking BH you shooting the XL's?

Edited by chas0218

5 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Those are a pretty unique looking BH you shooting the XL's?

I use the 210 g standard non vented but may try some xxl at some point.   They hold an edge like a benchmade knife. Could probably use them several times without resharpening but I touch em up.  

Never have because last two seasons the deer I hit just magically seem to make them disappear.

If it's still in good shape, spin tests well (not bent), and you can replace the blades or sharpen them, I can't think of a reason not to use a BH again.

i don't practice with Rage heads anymore because i've realized i don't need and they don't shoot any different than the practice head either.  I have used Montecs, NAP Hellrazors, and Magnus strings over again and for practice.  I touch up all broadheads i get out of the package.  I've reused the Rage Original Titaniums for a while now.  just touch up or replace the blades.  depends if blades are bent or chipped.  so far i haven't had a ferrule or the screws damaged to prevent re-use, just the blades.  i'd think most of time it's from hitting rock in the dirt after pass through out of a stand.  i used to shoot Muzzy and that was the same as Rage replace blades if need be.  couple of those i bent the ferrule just enough that they wouldn't spin right.

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I use the 210 g standard non vented but may try some xxl at some point.   They hold an edge like a benchmade knife. Could probably use them several times without resharpening but I touch em up.  

Are you able to take quartering toward shots with that? 

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I wouldn't.   Then again even with my 82lb compound I didn't take that shot.  

Bill Winke does shooting 80lbs or so out of a 330ish IBO bow and fairly long draw.  he's been shooting rocket steelheads mechanicals for years.  he doesn't often though and has implied it's really important to get passed the lower shoulder and leg bones without hitting it.  my thoughts are why chance it.