Tough spot, advice needed

cleverscreenname

There is a decent 10 or that has been feeding in my field most of the summer. I hung a stand and anxiously awaited opening day. The stand is in a bit of an odd spot, about 300 yards across and open field from a reasonably busy road.  I sat that spot opening day because the wind was right. About an hour before dark a neighbor if mine ( I recognize his truck) parked on the side of the road. When the first deer hit the field he laid on his horn and spooked the deer back into the woods. I didn't see anything else during that hunt. Now he has just done the same thing again. I have tried to speak to him but he is angry that I hunt because we are essentially hunting the same deer herd. Because of that we can't have a reasonable conversation he immediately starts cursing and name calling. Is there anything I can do here? Should I just relinquish the spot? Thanks 

4 minutes ago, growalot said:

I'd call the DEC tell them of the Hunter harassment and see if they'll come out..tell them you tried reasoning with him to no avail. Nothing to lose,he already dislikes you.

Agreed. There will be work involved, but this guy is a dick and shouldn’t get away with it. Ashamed another hunter would do this to our own. He should plant some stuff if he wants to keep the, on his land.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

Agreed. There will be work involved, but this guy is a dick and shouldn’t get away with it. Ashamed another hunter would do this to our own. He should plant some stuff if he wants to keep the, on his land.

Totally agree. Can't let him get away with being an ass.

• Like 1

He is angry that you are hunting on your own private land?!  Wow.  Some people go out of their way to stupidly bring The Man into their miserable life.  He's one of them.  If you already made a bona fide attempt to resolve this like a gentleman, then unfortunately the next step is to call the DEC to speak to him.  Who knows what he will escalate his behavior to next if you don't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Belo said:

OR maybe you plant some stuff on his land and let it grow and maybe he get's caught:rofl:  Just kidding!!

• Like 1

Tough situation, unfortunately it ends up a lose lose In my opinion.  Are you close enough that the injured deer can run into his land?  Are you concerned about your safety if you call law enforcement?  Can you move your stand so he won't know you're out hunting.  I see no great ending to this.

Edited by Taylormike

On 10/14/2017 at 6:16 PM, NFA-ADK said:

I would hunt another spot, not worth getting into a conflict and plenty of other deer and spots to hunt.  JMO.  Some people are so self centered that they think the deer belong to them. 

BS, It is HIS property. Take the guy on. Video his antics and give him one and only one courtesy conversation with a witness. I have you on video, mention the hunter harassment laws and let him know the next time it happens he will be gettign a visit from the law. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

BS, It is HIS property. Take the guy on. Video his antics and give him one and only one courtesy conversation with a witness. I have you on video, mention the hunter harassment laws and let him know the next time it happens he will be gettign a visit from the law. 

There is one potential problem with clever tipping his hand this way: Mr. Knucklehead may go to the Law first with a bs accusation about clever's hunting methods.  He could even say clever threatened him.  He could make up any number of things to jam him up.  Unreasonable people can be rather unpredictable and clever already tried to resolve the matter amicably.  In my experience, you usually want to be the first person to make a complaint.  Maybe there's more to the story, but I'd let the DEC handle this and focus on hunting that 10 pt instead.  They could offer the clown a verbal warning and put him on notice to knock off the harassment or face charges.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

There is one potential problem with clever tipping his hand this way: Mr. Knucklehead may go to the Law first with a bs accusation about clever's hunting methods.  He could even say clever threatened him.  He could make up any number of things to jam him up.  Unreasonable people can be rather unpredictable and clever already tried to resolve the matter amicably.  In my experience, you usually want to be the first person to make a complaint.  Maybe there's more to the story, but I'd let the DEC handle this and focus on hunting that 10 pt instead.  They could offer the clown a verbal warning and put him on notice to knock off the harassment or face charges.

I would be all about taking a more aggressive approach and agree with striking first. The solution I proposed was the most appeasing one I would consider and offered it in response to the "let him win, hold your hat in your hand, bend over and grab your ankles and go hunt somewhere else" that NFA-ADK proposed

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

If he hated hunting I would understand it (though I think it is illegal), but another hunter? Crazy.

Don't let him get away with it. Also, in new york it's one-party consent state. If you decide to go talk to him have your phone recording audio. 100% legal in New York.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Yup this is what I would do minus telling him. I would call DEC and show them the video.

Edited by chas0218

20 hours ago, Jdubs said:

You can threaten all you want verbally, there is nothing someone can do over a verbal threat been there done that. I have had people tell me they were going to kick my butt and cause my property harm they said there was nothing they could do.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

You can threaten all you want verbally, there is nothing someone can do over a verbal threat been there done that. I have had people tell me they were going to kick my butt and cause my property harm they said there was nothing they could do.

you may not have grounds with the legal courts, and this condition doesn't warent it, but the civil courts have a whole different playbook. see OJ being innocent and losing all his shit in civil. 

Thanks for the thoughts. I hung a new stand that is harder to see from the road. I left the other one there as a decoy. Hopefully, if he sees it empty he will move on. I will try to video tape and involve the Dec if needed. Hopefully he just doesn't see me there. Plus once XBow opens he will be hunting. 

A crossbow only guy too?

This is what we we’ve been talking about folks. A whole new breed and mindset entering the archery woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1