Tough spot, advice needed

cleverscreenname

1 hour ago, Belo said:

A crossbow only guy too?

This is what we we’ve been talking about folks. A whole new breed and mindset entering the archery woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously?  You're stating that all xbow-only hunters routinely act like this?  I will respectfully disagree.  We aren't all criminals like this jerk.  

On 10/14/2017 at 6:02 PM, cleverscreenname said:

There is a decent 10 or that has been feeding in my field most of the summer. I hung a stand and anxiously awaited opening day. The stand is in a bit of an odd spot, about 300 yards across and open field from a reasonably busy road.  I sat that spot opening day because the wind was right. About an hour before dark a neighbor if mine ( I recognize his truck) parked on the side of the road. When the first deer hit the field he laid on his horn and spooked the deer back into the woods. I didn't see anything else during that hunt. Now he has just done the same thing again. I have tried to speak to him but he is angry that I hunt because we are essentially hunting the same deer herd. Because of that we can't have a reasonable conversation he immediately starts cursing and name calling. Is there anything I can do here? Should I just relinquish the spot? Thanks 

I believe he is breaking the law.

I don't feel that he's stating that all xbow hunters act like this, only that when you have a large influx of new hunters that don't have a tradition of bowhunting and can buy an xbow off the shelf and reasonable kill a deer with it the next day, there's a good chance that there will be some yahoos in the crowd. Hard work turns people off, and learning to bow hunt is hard work. Once you add an "easy button" you attract people who don't want to work hard...not all of them, but you've got to admit that it's more likely. I own, shoot and hunt with an xbow, so it's not like I'm against them or anything either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, knehrke said:

I don't feel that he's stating that all xbow hunters act like this, only that when you have a large influx of new hunters that don't have a tradition of bowhunting and can buy an xbow off the shelf and reasonable kill a deer with it the next day, there's a good chance that there will be some yahoos in the crowd. Hard work turns people off, and learning to bow hunt is hard work. Once you add an "easy button" you attract people who don't want to work hard...not all of them, but you've got to admit that it's more likely. I own, shoot and hunt with an xbow, so it's not like I'm against them or anything either.

Easy Button.jpg

23 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Seriously?  You're stating that all xbow-only hunters routinely act like this?  I will respectfully disagree.  We aren't all criminals like this jerk.  

23 hours ago, knehrke said:

knehrke said it well. No, not all crossbow hunters are bad. But the gun only hunter converting to archery is going to bring about some issues like this in some cases.

On 10/14/2017 at 6:37 PM, growalot said:

I'd call the DEC tell them of the Hunter harassment and see if they'll come out..tell them you tried reasoning with him to no avail. Nothing to lose,he already dislikes you.

Spot on. Id also be calling the county Sheriff and use your cell phone to video the incidents.

• Like 1