Sacrifice tags?

Swamp_bucks

So a deer comes in not your target type of deer, but its hurt maybe broken leg, limping, hit by a poor shot, ect. Granted each scenario is different i personally would fill my tag to stop its suffering. My friend says depending on the injury he would let them walk.  

So question #1

Would you elect to burn your tag on it or let it pass by? 

Does DEC give you a replacement tag for putting down an injured animal if you use yours on it?(i dont have a clue on this question. Might be helpful information if someone has any idea)

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

I don't know about the DEC replacement option but I have done this in the past, in fact it was a doe that had one front leg almost completely blown off and was trying to survive, just looked horrible . I dumped it (rifle) with a head shot, and slapped my tag on it

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Only if the meat is bad ...you have to take whole deer to them and they will look at it and replace tag then take deer. 

I have put down many over the years and let several go...judgement calls on severity of injury and weather conditions..very cold temps less chance 've of infection.

• Like 5

If it's bad I'd shoot it for sure, can't stand to see suffering deer. Only fawn I ever shot was a small doe fawn on opening weekend of rifle that had a shot off front leg and back leg. Disgusting to see that poor deer hobbling through the woods. The slob that did it is even more disgusting. 

• Like 3

Last years gun doe was a put down due to the severity of her limping..Seriously a drama queen for sure...after I got to her I thought really?I would have let a wound like that pass in cold gun season and opted for a bigger doe. I've allowed crazy big buck pass to shoot injured deer...but DEC gave a new tag.

IMG_1948.JPG

• Like 2

ive dumped a few three that i remember 1 buck had an arrow sticking out of its back lost some meet, 2nd was a buck with a broad head between spine and high shoulder no lost meat... third was small doe smelled the rot before i saw her she as shot threw both hips with slug and couldnt she get up covered in mud and been dragging herself in circles coyote food she was really rotting away alive

I've finished off a few over the years. I have no problem burning a tag. And yes I have burned buck tags on deer I would not shoot. I respect and love deer too much to see one I know won't make it suffer. Nobody is perfect, I have lost a deer I hit and I hope another hunter would do the same if able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Deer will recover from a lot of injuries on their own, not every deer that's limping has to be put down....just look at people who get injured, they limp around just the same, but eventually get better. I wouldn't have second thoughts about putting down a deer with a severe injury, depending on the severity of it and overall condition of the deer would dictate if I burn a tag or not.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 7:25 PM, Swamp_bucks said:

So a deer comes in not your target type of deer, but its hurt maybe broken leg, limping, hit by a poor shot, ect. Granted each scenario is different i personally would fill my tag to stop its suffering. My friend says depending on the injury he would let them walk.  

So question #1

Would you elect to burn your tag on it or let it pass by? 

Does DEC give you a replacement tag for putting down an injured animal if you use yours on it?(i dont have a clue on this question. Might be helpful information if someone has any idea)

They will replace the tag on any deer that is not fit for consumption. Not just for a mercy killing though. 

• Like 2

If I can muster the stuff to kill for my own reasons I certainly will for the good of a wounded animal.

I get plenty of tags, 2 buck & 3 antlerless standard + dmaps + 2 transferred dmps & TDMFA 2/day thru January.

That doesn't include PA & Jersey tags when I hunt there.

Edited by OtiscoPaul