Hunting Literature

rotorooter23

Headed out to Ohio in a few weeks and thought of bringing out some literature for the slower hours of the long 12 hour sits! I was wondering what are some of your favorite reads or authors are?! I am big in to the Benoit books by Townley. The eberhardt books are good too. I just bought a Steve Rinella book (meat eater) but would like to add another.

• Like 2

There was a thread here about this very subject a few years ago. Lots of great suggestions. I'll look for it.

Peter Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass" is one of my favorites, but any of the old-time shooters or hunters could spin a good yarn. It's nice to see that people still read.

Still have yet to read my first book. Just can't fathom the idea of reading a book. I can read articles on my phone, or magazines, but just not a book. Considering I am not planning on going back to school ever, I think it's safe to say I will die without ever having read an entire book. 

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Still have yet to read my first book. Just can't fathom the idea of reading a book. I can read articles on my phone, or magazines, but just not a book. Considering I am not planning on going back to school ever, I think it's safe to say I will die without ever having read an entire book. 

You should read "Rookie of the Year/MVP: The Aaron Judge Story". Forward by Andrew Beninitendi

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, nyantler said:

My favorite book as a kid!!

My Side Of The Mountain, was the first real book I ever bought and read! Think it was 5th or 6th grade. Recommended by an awesome teacher Mr. Becker.  Started a life long love of books for me. I've read it to both my grandsons, when they were younger. They loved it too. 

Please at least pirate it, dont give that scumbag any $$. Loved the player but hes trash ever since
Like long Braves fan...but I have to say Dyskstra was the man! Just a hard nose, load of chew in the mouth baseball player. Unfortunately for him his life took a huge crap after the majors.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bill Heavey (from the back page of field and stream) has all of his articles in a book called "if you didn't bring the jerky, what did I just eat" humorous and self-effacing short stories. Quite entertaining.
You have identified a bunch of my recommended reading list for my 6th grade students with my side of the mountain, call of the wild, red fern, etc- throw in old man and the sea and any of Gary Paulsen and you round out my go to collection- red pony is good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, grampy said:

My Side Of The Mountain, was the first real book I ever bought and read! Think it was 5th or 6th grade. Recommended by an awesome teacher Mr. Becker.  Started a life long love of books for me. I've read it to both my grandsons, when they were younger. They loved it too. 

They actually made a movie of the book in the 70's... wasn't bad but not nearly as good as the book. I had a Mr. Becker in 5th grade as well!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nyantler said:

They actually made a movie of the book in the 70's... wasn't bad but not nearly as good as the book. I had a Mr. Becker in 5th grade as well!

Mr. Becker was a great teacher! He gave the hunter education class I took at 16, right in the school, on a Saturday morning. That was back in the day, when schools were not so uptight about such things.