Need some help

remi1100

So at about 6:00 I hit a buck, nice 8 pt. The shot was about 15 yards quartering away.... I hit him a little high, the arrow lodged into him with about 10 inches of arrow hanging out. He dropped on the spot, got up ran a few feet, fell again and ran about 70 yards and I lost him. As the buck passed me I saw about 6 inches of skin where my arrows had entered. I didn't try tracking due to the time and not wanting to push.. what do you guys think? 

dead deer for sure 6pm you still had light left but did you mark the spot you last saw him go you can pick up the trail there  and hope the coyotes dont get him first. you probably hit the spine thats why he went down . at least  you double lunged him he didnt go far

Remi, you didn't say where your arrow hit front to back.  Just behind the shoulder, mid-body, etc.  An arrow that is close to the spine can cause enough shock to the spinal cord to cause the deer to fall, sometimes this is only temporary.  If you were in a tree stand and you think the arrow made it beneath the spine then a quartering away shot near mid-body should produce a lung hit.  As Tommyc said, you should consider how bad the coyotes are in your area.  I would probably have waited an hour to two hours then quietly looked with lights for evidence of a lung hit.  You have a relatively cool night, that is in your favor.  Good luck!

jperch

If you went back and found no blood for 50 -60 yards, wait until first light tomorrow. Sounds to me like a lethal hit. Blood will be easier to spot in the daylight too. You can also call Deer Search. After talking to a handler, he may decide to take up the track tonight. Especially if there are numerous coyotes in the area. What part of the state are you in? 

Sounds like it hit the front shoulder on the other side and has a high entrance, which would mean little blood, hopefully you caught a lung and he will start bleeding out his nose and you will get a blood trail, usually stay on the trail or easiet path once he slows down,, sounds like you will find him piled up in the area..

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

16 minutes ago, remi1100 said:

Just hate leaving deer overnights 

That's why I quit taking  shots to late in the afternoon. A few years ago I hit one at 4:00 (daylight savings) and tracked him til I couldn't see blood because of darkness. Left him over night because I was confident I would find him the next morning. Went back the next morning, picked up the trail and found him almost destroyed by coyotes. Now I am committed to track them until I find them the same day if possible.

17 minutes ago, remi1100 said:

I attempted to track but I had no blood

Good possibility the arrow didn't exit and until it does he won't leave a good trail until the chest cavity fills up.

Good luck...and if you were close I would come help.

Edited by Steve D

3 minutes ago, Steve D said:

That's why I quit taking  shots to late in the afternoon. A few years ago I hit one at 4:00 (daylight savings) and tracked him til I couldn't see blood because of darkness. Left him over night because I was confident I would find him the next morning. Went back the next morning, picked up the trail and found him almost destroyed by coyotes. Now I am committed to track them until I find them the same day if possible.

Good possibility the arrow didn't exit and until it does he won't leave a good trail until the chest cavity fills up.

Good luck...and if you were close I would come help.

Thanks a lot steve appreacite the offer

Boy I had this happen a few years back. 9pt was 10-15yrds away slight quarter away, hit mid high, arrow hit back shoulder and didn't exit. Took a little bit to find first blood then good blood for another 100yrds or so then dried up. Long story short I had him on my t cam 9 days later with a patch of fur missing above shoulder. Good luck

2 minutes ago, zag said:

Boy I had this happen a few years back. 9pt was 10-15yrds away slight quarter away, hit mid high, arrow hit back shoulder and didn't exit. Took a little bit to find first blood then good blood for another 100yrds or so then dried up. Long story short I had him on my t cam 9 days later with a patch of fur missing above shoulder. Good luck

Sleeping will not be very good tonight