Community advice request.

Spook

First and foremost I wanna tell all you guys/gals how much I enjoy reading ur stories and insight. I'm a fresh fish who joined to hopefully help further the sport and join in the topics. 

I have a fairly small rant and looking for a little insight or opinion and I pre-apologize that this is my first post. 

On Oct 2nd in the evening I decided to try out a NY forest spot in 4A. I started way previous to the season by setting up cams, studied topo, scouted, scouted, scouted. That evening I passed on a 8yrd shot on what I estimated to be a 1.5 y/o doe. She was super tiny and instead took a bunch of pictures of her. Heard a very close gun shot after she walked well outta view but that a topic for another time. 

Over the past couple weeks I've been in and outta there with nothing to tell or brag about. Sunday morning I snuck in at around 0545 still very dark out and set up my own bush ground blind like the 1st day. It was very rainy and foggy and called it at around 0900. Something caught my eye on the ground in the middle of the field so I decided to investigate. Turn out what I thought was litter was a white AND brown salt lick sitting on a pile of corn. After I shook my head for a minute, I looked over and noticed a man made stick blind about 10 yards away from the pile. Two and two added up and I packed up and hiked out. While loading my truck, I noticed at the back of the parking area a fresh skin and a gut pile. Not trying to reach but it was a smaller doe and pretty close color match to the girl I let pass. Disgusting and letting that do my thinking, I opened up the DEC regulations and called all 3 ECO's in the county. No answer from any so I called dispatch and let them know. 

Tonight (Tuesday) I missed a phone call and it was the 2nd of three ECO's on the list. 

Im not gonna bore you all unless asked about the whole conversation but for 24 minutes this guy talked and came off like a complete donkey rectum. He accused me of growing pot, setting up feeders, poaching from the spot for the last 4 years when this is my 1st year there, hunting from the stick blind etc.....  I was sitting at the dinner table with my fiancé mind you and she heard every word. She was almost madder than me. The final words of the conversation was this ECO telling me not to hunt ANYWHERES in the forest, that he hopes to "meet" me one day soon, and that I have been warned. That by the way doesn't even scratch the surface of the almost one way conversion.

What would any of you do. Need some advice before I really insert foot. 

Once again, sorry this is my first post and I promise to add as much helpful info to the site that I can  

Mike

Edited by Spook
Grammar

Thanks zag. I completely agree. My girl said it sounded like he was protecting another hunter and the turf.

I tried calling the supervisor which doesn't have a name in the manual and it took me to dispatch. I requested one to call me. If I held my breath while waiting, I wouldn't be typing this reply lol. 

Hunt a different area than where you found the bait pile. If you are caught within shooting range, you can be charged, even though it's not yours. Seems as if that area has way too much going on, to be enjoyable to hunt. As for the ECO, could he be mistaking YOU for the dirtbag in that area? I've met a few ECO's over the years and most have been very professional and helpful. This one, from what you have told us, does not fit the norm.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Sounds like the one running around by me.  

Since I've been a youngin, I've always tried to do right when it comes to the environment. Coming from A background in L.E. and the fire service, I always try to help the supposed "good guys."

I told this jerk that if this is what to expect when calling in a tip, I'll never call in another. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grampy said:

Hunt a different area than where you found the bait pile. If you are caught within shooting range, you can be charged, even though it's not yours. Seems as if that area has way too much going on, to be enjoyable to hunt. As for the ECO, could he be mistaking YOU for the dirtbag in that area? I've met a few ECO's over the years and most have been very professional and helpful. This one, from what you have told us, does not fit the norm.

I very much agree and told him he won't see me there ever again.  Just a gut punch with the work I put in and the ECO coming off as more hindering than helping. 

Edited by Spook
Grammar

I'd be going as high up (as necessary) the chain of command to put an end to his BS immediately. Most ECO's are decent, but once in awhile a douche bag shows up. Sounds like you found one. Sorry Chief. Better find a new spot and steer clear of that area for sure. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

I'd be going as high up (as necessary) the chain of command to put an end to his BS immediately. Most ECO's are decent, but once in awhile a douche bag shows up. Sounds like you found one. Sorry Chief. Better find a new spot and steer clear of that area for sure. 

100% agree bugs. I asked him three times for his superiors contact info and he refused. The net is a wonderful thing. I got his barracks info, LT and Capt's info. If none of that yields an apology to my fiancé and myself then come NY office of inspector general and then the good ol governors office :bad: (not gonna start a political topic). 

NY brags about having a superior and highly effective encon program. NY requests citizen tips to help achieve the goal. I've never once read that you will be accused of the crime when your trying to help them solve the crime..... especially one that's been stated to be "under investigation for four years."  

• Like 1

i had issues with a coast guard person a few years ago and had to go over his head and it worked out fine and all was corrected - he issued me a ticket for no visual distress signal in the boat.  Showed him the copy of the coast guard regs and he still gave me ticket - there was an DEC guy with him checking for fish etc and he was even rolling his eyes at the guy.  Called supervisor and he said yes I was correct and threw out the ticket.  There are good and bad ones for sure.  You were and are doing the right thing there.  

• Like 1

Oh man..well first protect yourself...don't call his supervisor...you call DEC in Albany..you get names and numbers before you talk..then tell them what is happening..You then ask for an email address and type what you told and send that out keeping a copy.. Then you call the local head and let them know who called you and what was said...,not revealing you contacted Albany. See what they say..Then let them know of your records..also ask for a e mail address to them and send out your email with a copy. NOW you are protected..you have dated records.....do not think such actions are over kill ,you have no idea how far dirt bags will go to protect themselves,nor how clever they can be...Good luck...welcome to the  real world..:mda:

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1