Tonka's Law - NJ Dog Killed

BizCT

This strikes me as more of a headline grab, than a serious legislative push.  Lesniak and Bateman are happy to get their names in the paper and faces on the local (election district) television news.

If the actions of one hunter should ban hunting near residences statewide, what should the actions of one corrupt politician ban?

• Like 3

In the article it only talks about potential increases in setbacks and neighbors notifying each other when they will be allowing hunting. That last part only seems like common courtesy to me especially if the houses are in close proximity to each other

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This kind of crap is completely predictable, you will have media, animal rights activists and anti hunters coming out of the woodwork on a deal like this, they relish and use the opportunity to punish all hunters because of the actions of one. How about by just making Tonka's Law a law against shooting dogs while hunting and "EMPHASIZE" that law in both hunter's education classes and in all state regulation books as so there is "NO DOUBT" about it.  Make the penalty for someone  that defies that law so severe that it will never be worth any hunter's while to ever shoot a dog because of the consequences! Those hunters that are dumb enough to shoot someone's pet or hunting dog should face the full music of that law!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

All they have to do is enforce (existing) or enact leash laws, especially for residential areas. Dogs should be on a leash anyway - not for the reason of avoiding getting shot, but not all dogs should be off leash digging through trash, chasing kids on bikes, etc.

Disclaimer: I'm a dog owner in a residential area.

Edited by glittergoat
additional thought

14 minutes ago, airedale said:

This kind of crap is completely predictable, you will have media, animal rights activists and anti hunters coming out of the woodwork on a deal like this, they relish and use the opportunity to punish all hunters because of the actions of one. How about by just making a law against shooting dogs while hunting and "EMPHASIZE" that law in both hunter's education classes and in all state regulation books as so there is "NO DOUBT" about it.  Make the penalty for someone  that defies that law so severe that it will never be worth any hunter's while to ever shoot a dog because of the consequences! Those hunters that are dumb enough to shoot someone's pet or hunting dog should face the full music of that law!

Al

Agree 100%.

No big surprise...I believe a few years ago when NY DEC changed those set back rules I said..." Watch what you wish for" when the shite piled on over my not liking them...hhhmmm how could anyone think eventually this wasn't going to happen...YOU LIVE IN NYS just wait they don't like being topped on the "protection " issues...NJ gives this teeth and NYS will feel the bite eventually...

13 minutes ago, growalot said:

No big surprise...I believe a few years ago when NY DEC changed those set back rules I said..." Watch what you wish for" when the shite piled on over my not liking them...hhhmmm how could anyone think eventually this wasn't going to happen...YOU LIVE IN NYS just wait they don't like being topped on the "protection " issues...NJ gives this teeth and NYS will feel the bite eventually...

I would have to agree.  Allowing hunters to hunt closer to homes was probably an incident/accident just waiting to happen.  Some bone head hunter out there was bound to screw it up for everyone.  This is one reason I'd never hunt in a suburban environment where there are many houses close by.  I don't care how many deer one could kill there.  I just don't want to be too near to the rest of humanity when I am hunting.  I prefer to be out of sight of as much as possible.  What the rest of humanity doesn't see won't hurt them or us.

26 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I would have to agree.  Allowing hunters to hunt closer to homes was probably an incident/accident just waiting to happen.  Some bone head hunter out there was bound to screw it up for everyone.  This is one reason I'd never hunt in a suburban environment where there are many houses close by.  I don't care how many deer one could kill there.  I just don't want to be too near to the rest of humanity when I am hunting.  I prefer to be out of sight of as much as possible.  What the rest of humanity doesn't see won't hurt them or us.

So true. I can't stand that I can still hear cars driving on the road from my stand.

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

I used to hunt out behind a trailer park on a small patch of land I would watch all the tenants sell drugs and what not. I had some giants running around back there. One year there was a big 13 point that I just ran out of daylight to shoot. He ended up roadkill the next morning when someone whacked him with their Ford explorer. I saw the person on the side of the road with the deer in the back of the explorer. I was going to stop and ask for the deer but figured that it being in the back of the SUV I wasn't getting it. There are some areas like that and I don't mind hunting them long as no one else is.

Edited by chas0218

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 11:16 AM, airedale said:

This kind of crap is completely predictable, you will have media, animal rights activists and anti hunters coming out of the woodwork on a deal like this, they relish and use the opportunity to punish all hunters because of the actions of one. How about by just making Tonka's Law a law against shooting dogs while hunting and "EMPHASIZE" that law in both hunter's education classes and in all state regulation books as so there is "NO DOUBT" about it.  Make the penalty for someone  that defies that law so severe that it will never be worth any hunter's while to ever shoot a dog because of the consequences! Those hunters that are dumb enough to shoot someone's pet or hunting dog should face the full music of that law!

Al

That sounds like a reasonable compromise.  But you forget this is New Jersey we're talking about here.  This is the same state that has cat-ladies and retired hippies (no offense if any frequent this forum) coming out of the woodwork to protest when the black bear season was reinstated a little while back.  You had even more controversy when a bipedal bear (known as Pedals) was legally shot and killed during one of those seasons.  There are self-proclaimed conservationists and "wildlife experts" out there saying that hunting bear is unnecessary because they could all be artificially sterilized at the state's expense; there is a great amount of disconnect between many of NJ's residents and the on-the-ground reality of conservation. 

I'm sure there is a strong hunting culture in NJ, but I get the sense that there is no room for compromise or middle ground with the anti-hunting contingent, who are all-too eager to restrict hunting privileges in that state.

Edited by Padre86