Your favorite brand of hunting gear

Just like with fishing, I am a bit of a gear junkie.  I like to have the best rods and reels when I am investing so much time on the water (We'll see how long that lasts now that i'm married)  and it gives me piece of mind to know that If i spend a few extra bucks on quality gear, it will last me longer and not fail when i need it the most.   I know camo patterns don't really matter that much and that you could kill a deer in bluejeans and a flannel jacket just as well as you could in full camo, but if it gives me piece of mind to know that I am as concealed as possible and helps me stay in the stand a bit longer, I'm all for it.

I was always a Sitka fan when it came to their Whitetail line.   I have the original whitetail fanatic jacket, but since i bought it in 2014 it has fallen apart on me. This gave me a good excuse to grab a new mid/late season hunting jacket and after doing a bit of research,  just picked up my first piece from First Lite.  The Woodbury Jacket is extremely comfortable, quiet, and seems to be very warm without any layers.  I was wondering what everyones favorite gear / company / jacket.ect is.

I absolutely love me my Tree Spider harness / bibs combo .  Something about having the harness built into the bibs makes me feel a bit safer and more comfortable.  

Bored at work, dreaming about hunting, so figured I'd start up a discussion

Thanks,

Stevie Sacs

As much as I want to say the weapon (Weatherby, Browning, Mathews, Excalibur, etc.) I think the most important thing I have for cold weather hunts is Under Armour Cold Gear Base Layerunderwear. I have the 2.0 and 4.0. I used the 4.0 in hunts in Canada and could stay outside dark-dark and not get cold. And 1 thing to note is that I hate the cold! So again, while having quality weapons/optics/etc, for me cold weather wise it's my UA Cold Gear Base Layer because it allows me to spend more time in the woods. Also, I top it off with Whitetail Extreme pants/jacket that I got from cabelas many years ago. Pricey, but again well worth it in cold weather.

I don't really have a favorite brand. I don't think I have a single matching item. I have UA base layers for when its cold just like Biz....although sometimes I still get cold. I have some scentblocker light weight pants and a pair of Browning Pants for when its colder. I have a lightweight UA jacket and a heavier jacket from Field and Stream for when its cold. I have a Cabela's heated vest that is awesome. I just have a bunch of crap that seems to work ok for me...

I recently went on an archery elk hunt to Idaho and got into the expensive top of the line gear. Honestly I don't see the use of Sitka, Kuiu, or Firstlite for deer hunting here as much as it's useful out west. Here you can dry out your gear and usually aren't stuck in the woods all week at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a mish mash of junk  But have learned to layer accordingly  Biz spoke highly of the UA 4.0 so I did get some and it's a great base layer Also some Smartwool base layers that are pretty good.   Sprung on a pair of Cabela's Wooltimate pants last year and they're pretty good.   Someday I hope to get into some good, warm ,waterproof cold gear. But I can dark to dark it in the nastiest of temps with garbage gear so I think why bother.

With that said, I have really liked first lite base layers. NOTHING beats merino base layers. I have plenty of UA base layers and they are warm but they stink real bad and I sweat bad in it. Merino is wayyyy better for warmth, comfort, and odor control. Sitka outer layers are awesome. I think their fanatic line is way over priced for what it is, might as well get some Berber fleece stuff from cabelas. I bought some of the first lite sanctuary stuff this year because I like ASAT pattern stuff and got it on a good sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just have a mish-mash of clothes and gear. Bought and amassed, over many years. But when all thrown together, work just fine for me!  I'm good, comfortable  and ready to go in most hunting conditions. Some brand names would be..... U.A., Field and Stream, Carhart, Rocky, Woolrich.  Along with brands I've never heard of, when I saw something on sale, or that I thought I could make use of. 

Superstitious-wise, I have a little black beanie hat that is my good luck charm. I actually lost is briefly in the Minnesota woods packing out my bobcat. I was exhausted carrying a 42lb bobcat out for 7-8 miles and thought about just forgetting it, but then decided I need it back, so I followed my tracks backwards for about 1 mile before finding it.

• Like 2

I have different camo for every part of the seasons. My Sitka is my favorite but my cabelas MT50 when it’s late season bitter cold. Always under armor as a base and have multiple weights but I also work outside so it serves duel purpose 

Edited by sodfather

Take this with a grain of salt because it's only my third year hunting.

I love walmart hunting clothes. I bought, for $30, a pair of insulated flannel pants in 2015. Used them 40 times since then and they still look and feel good. They've been marched through thorn patches many times. Also very warm. Too warm in early season--so this past week I bought the same ones but without flannel.

Walking around field & stream this past weekend I looked at the nice hunting gear including sitka. It's definitely finer stuff and if I had a bunch of money to spend on hunting I would, but I did touch a sitka flannel (or was it wool) zip up piece that was something like $160 and I truly had a hard time distinguishing it from the $20 zip up flannel I bought in 2015 which, like the pants, has been out more than 40 times. 

I do believe cheap boots are cheap, so I am okay spending more on them. Also mechanical gear and optics and the like I think the cheap stuff just won't serve nearly as well.

This opinion all my change over time.

Edited by Core

2 hours ago, CuseHunter said:

I recently went on an archery elk hunt to Idaho and got into the expensive top of the line gear. Honestly I don't see the use of Sitka, Kuiu, or Firstlite for deer hunting here as much as it's useful out west. Here you can dry out your gear and usually aren't stuck in the woods all week at a time.

I did the same thing in Idaho as well.  Went opening weekend in the Lemhi region.  I was able to get a cow on the final day.  How'd you make out?

I did the same thing in Idaho as well.  Went opening weekend in the Lemhi region.  I was able to get a cow on the final day.  How'd you make out?

I had a few close calls but long story short nothing. It was hard getting a clear shot where they were, you had to get to like 20 yards. My buddy shot a real nice 6x6 330" bull in my spot when I was walking up the mountain with him. It was a heck of an experience. Definitely will be back there in the future

• Like 1

I crack up every time I hear of people buying specialty gear for hunts out west. I have hunted Colorado and New Mexico both public land with no guides and it's easy to tell the locals from the "tourists" locals are in blue jeans and a flannel shirt "tourists" have all the latest and greatest camo.

When you watch hunting shows the guide usually has some top of the line jacket and jeans and cowboy boots.

I'm willing to bet the jacket is for TV only.

• Like 2

UA bases, thick wool socks(Carhartt), FINALLY bought a hunting pair of Rocky insulated boots.  I too work outside, and I really love Carhartt everything.  I tend to layer up in between my UA bases, and my $100 camo coveralls, in which I believe is Guide Gear Series brand, which is Gander Mt.  As far as the prosthetic goes, OttoBock all the way, lol. 

28 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I crack up every time I hear of people buying specialty gear for hunts out west. I have hunted Colorado and New Mexico both public land with no guides and it's easy to tell the locals from the "tourists" locals are in blue jeans and a flannel shirt "tourists" have all the latest and greatest camo.

When you watch hunting shows the guide usually has some top of the line jacket and jeans and cowboy boots.

I'm willing to bet the jacket is for TV only.

Well, if it makes someone feel good then why not.  Hence the quote "  I know camo patterns don't really matter that much and that you could kill a deer in bluejeans and a flannel jacket just as well as you could in full camo"

You know what they say, different strokes for different folks :drinks:

IIRC my main hunting gear (the stuff that gets 90% of the action anyway) is from the late 80's early 90's and from King Of The Mountain.  They still have many many years of life left in them.  I'd love to see an odometer/hour meter reading, so far...........

Glass?  Binos are either Leica or Swarovski, scopes are from Leupold.

Boots are Lowa, Schnee's or Hoffman.

Deer guns are NULA/ULA for deer etc

Bow is Elite, broadheads are Slick Trick Viper Tricks.  Arrows are Gold Tip.

I need a Yeti mug & cooler. :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Well, if it makes someone feel good then why not.  Hence the quote "  I know camo patterns don't really matter that much and that you could kill a deer in bluejeans and a flannel jacket just as well as you could in full camo"
You know what they say, different strokes for different folks :drinks:

Wasn't a personal attack just a statement and an observation. I killed my public land archery elk in laccrose rubber boots American eagle khaki shorts and a OD green Marine Corps issue T shirt.

I don't think any of those products made me kill him.

I too have a wide assortment of brands, I've always like scent blocker apparel, the material, cut, comfort has always been spot on for me. Cabela's is equally as good if not better in my opinion, I've never not liked a single Cabela's brand product. Under Armour is good stuff too but I still refuse to pay $80 for a hoody so I grab most of it on clearance. I used to spend a ton of money buying expensive clothes that have cool looking patterns etc, I didn't notice any difference in performance other than you look expensive. Scent control is far more important than camo pattern.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As much as I believe in "Buy once, cry once", I will relentlessly bargain shop for the gear I want.  Perfect example, I picked up a $370 Cabela's MT050 jacket for $130 total in the Bargain Cave.  That jacket is absolutely weather-proof and may be my favorite piece of gear.  Staying warm and dry means hunting longer.

A close second would be my Lone Wolf Alpha hang on stand and climbing sticks.  Now I can move around my hunting area into any tree I want.  Hanging multiple ladder stands isn't an option so having mobility with a lightweight and quiet stand system was a total game changer for me last year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

As much as I believe in "Buy once, cry once", I will relentlessly bargain shop for the gear I want.  Perfect example, I picked up a $370 Cabela's MT050 jacket for $130 total in the Bargain Cave.  That jacket is absolutely weather-proof and may be my favorite piece of gear.  Staying warm and dry means hunting longer.

A close second would be my Lone Wolf Alpha hang on stand and climbing sticks.  Now I can move around my hunting area into any tree I want.  Hanging multiple ladder stands isn't an option so having mobility with a lightweight and quiet stand system was a total game changer for me last year.

I didn't even think of my Lone Wolf.  It really is a beast.   I hung a new set before work this morning and was in and out of my new spot.   I feel like 4 climbing sticks just never got me high enough, so I bought another 2 to get me the extra few feet.  Absolute best hang on stand I've ever owned.  

• Like 1