Easy tag question

Core

Yep, I read the guide.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/17biggame.pdf

I threw my tags from last year so can't remember how it goes.

So far I've bought this year:

• Permit
  • + 2 DMP
  • + bow privilege

I have/had

• Regular tag (good for bucks only during regular OR either sex during late muzzle as long as I buy that privilege)
  • Bow/mz either-sex
  • 2 Doe-only via DMP

If I now go out and get the muzzleloader privilege, will I get an additional tag, or was the "bow/mz the only extra tag I get from a privilege?

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, vizslas said:

One in fact could tag seven deer,That is a lot of meat.I did that last season, and I still have some left from last year. In fact I pulled out a liver for my dogs breakfast tomorrow.

Oh right by getting gifted 2 DMP. I am ashamed to say I am just finishing the last of my meat--and I only got one deer last year (about 52 lbs meat from butcher). I'm figuring out how to eat it, though. I finally last night came upon a killer chilli recipe and not a hint of game to it.

In some overpopulated zones, you can fill up to (6) DMP's.  Two from the initial draw, two from leftovers after Nov 1, and two transferred from other hunter(s).   Add your two buck tags and the either/or ML/archery and you can legally take up to (9).    (4) average sized deer gets our family from one season to the next.  It is kind of nice having a leftover vacuum-sealed one or two at the start, so I can be a little more selective with my (2) buck tags.  That's funny Core, my wife just started on freezer deer number 5 from last year with a crockpot full of chilli and the kids and I just finished eating a bunch of it.  I killed (4) deer last year, gave one away and received (2) as gifts.  (3) this year would be just right. 

Edited by wolc123

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You can tag 7 if you get 4 dmps and more if dmps are signed over to you.  Someone will correct me if I am wrong but you can use both bow/mz tags in either season but the either is anterless only in mz.  

You can use the "either" one on an antlered or antlerless deer in archery or ML season, but the antlerless is just that in each.  Your regular season buck tag becomes an "either" in Southern zone late ML season.     

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Wolc if I recall correctly, my area is doe only in ML season.  Maybe that changed. 

It could be but sounds odd.  About half of the spot I hunt in the the NZ is just the opposite.  It is antlered only during the early ML season on one side of the main highway, but either/or on the other side.  During gun, it is all antlered only except that landowners (50 plus acres) and DV's may apply for a DMP on the side of the road where anlterless were legal during ML.  I suppose that if you are in an extremely overpopulated area, it might appear to make sense to make the late ML season antlerless only.    It really don't make sense though, as that would just force more of the hunters into zones where they could use their ML tag on a buck or a doe.   I think the DEC learned that lesson the hard way a couple years ago when they tried making the first two weeks of archery antlerless only in some of the over populated zones.    I don't think we will see them repeat that mistake again.    

3 hours ago, vizslas said:

One in fact could tag seven deer,That is a lot of meat.I did that last season, and I still have some left from last year. In fact I pulled out a liver for my dogs breakfast tomorrow.

One could in fact harvest more than 100 deer from the Tompkins DMFA per season (2/day all season plus 3 weeks in January)...good luck.

I have harvested & tagged 8 in NY in 2013.  My 5 tags my wife's 2 dmps and 1 hard fought DMFA (my only in 5 years there).

Gave 2.5 deer away...lots of Christmas jerky that year!

Edited by OtiscoPaul