Swamp hunting

rachunter

That depends.   I hunt a swamp that there's no trees large enough along the edge for a stand as it's a old field that's grown up, but 80 yrds in the swamp I've got a stand. I've got to Wade through knee deep water to get to it, so it's a PITA.  Same swamp about 100yrds further there's plenty of tree along the edge, so I don't go in. Know way to see or hunt both areas even with the rifle as it's so thick but only 100 yrd apart. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I might try some of that myself this weekend.  I killed my first Adirondack buck a few years ago, as he stood in a little clearing, right in the middle of a big swamp.  I was about 300 yards away, high up on an adjacent ridge, with the scope on my 30/06 cranked up to 9 power.   That day there was fresh snow, it was very cold, and the deer were moving.   I saw him approaching from over a mile away, and it was just a matter of waiting for the right shot when he reached an opening.   

I do not expect much movement this weekend, with the predicted high temperatures, so still-hunting in that swamp might be an option.  That will only happen if the wind is strong enough to cover my noise.  There is no way to move quietly thru those tangled bushes.  I am thinking it will take at least a 20 mph wind to cover my noise.  I was not able to get close enough to see any deer with a 15 mph south-westerly and my ML last weekend but I found a ton of deer sign in there.  If it is calm, I will probably just find some good locations along the edge and to try and catch them coming back in in the morning, or sneaking out in the late afternoon.  I might even rattle a little bit in the late morning to try and draw them out. 

One little problem with killing a heavy deer deep in the swamp is getting them out.  That last swamp buck put a hurting on me, dragging it a few hundred yards to the nearest spot where my father in law could get his ATV to it.   I was not in the best shape then, and I hope to be able to do a little better this year after lots of time working out and getting in better condition.  If nothing else, it makes the still-hunting up and down those hills, and in and out of that swamp, a lot easier.             

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rachunter said:

I'm still hunting. The deer tracks went into the swamp. I plan on slow rolling in the early morning then exploring the second swap in the midday. 

Still hunting in the swamps I hunt is about impossible. The grasses are 10' tall and thick.  I can here the deer sloshing through the place, but can't see em.  When a buck is chasing a doe around in there, the noise is incredible. 

Love hate relationship with that swamp. Killed many nice bucks hunting it, but what a nightmare getting them out of there. 

• Like 2

My new stand set has my near the center...the big willow tree blocks a lot but now I can see them coming in from the first drop off below me ..I can actually see the area my buck dropped a couple of years ago at that drop off the water runs into a creek/ underground water flow on either side..leaving the middle dry for about 60 yards then it goes to swamp muck and marsh grass with sub surface springs running the width of the property near the road. 

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i hunt some real swampy areas.  The problem is noise.  Its so brushy and the water.  Then once freezing happens forget it.  The best way i have found is to find the main trails in/out, trial cam them and hunt where they go in and out.  

That's how I hunt em too.  Hate to remember how many times I picked the wrong stand only to hear them on the next trail 100 yrs away.  

thats why they go in there cause they feel protected.  Also dont want to go stomping around in there and blow them out all the time, they will find another place.  You want them to feel secure somewhere.  I usually wait til the last weekend of season if need be before tromping thru the thickest of cover.  Play the in/out escape trails to food areas, they will come thru.