Rut Report 2017

Canis Latrans

We did this last few years, and I want to do it again. In this thread I'm asking people to post the rut related activity in their area in a clear and concise format. In the later phases it's important to describe the activity you actually saw, because it avoids confusion of people using terms such as seeking, chasing and peak rut differently. Over time, these threads will gather enough information specific to this state to help predict future ruts.

The below example is what I'm seeing and the format to be used. Lets help ourselves and each other better understand the rut and save it here for next year. If you are someone who has always thought about keeping a journal, but never actually write stuff down, you may be surprised at how much what you write here can help you next year. 

Area: Capital Region, around 4J
Phase: October Lull

Description: Limited movement just after sunrise and just before sunset. A few bucks are seen in pairs and begin feeding about 1/2 hour after sunset. A few rubs and scrapes have opened up in the last week. No breeding behavior yet noted. 

8H we rattled in a 2.5 yo 8 ptr this week.. My buddy took him at 13 yds. First 15 mins of light, came in on a string when he heard horns. Sprayed our area with buck bomb dominant buck on our way to the stands. Just one of those times the stars aligned! Good luck everyone

• Like 2

9P.
I'm seeing scrapes used daily now.

Also have seen two different does with their tails raised high, twitching in the fields, in the late evenings. Both of them had bucks, that don't normally hang in the fields, with their noses right up in their... you know what.
There seems to be some scattered does hitting it a little early.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

4K... 10/21-10/22....Hunted Morning. Saw a group of 3 doe and a unknown on Saturday. Saw what I believe to be the same group of 3 doe Sunday morning. I have seen a spike and a fork from the stand earlier in the month. I have seen no evidence of chasing at all yet. Pulled camera cards and finally have a shooter on camera....It was at 1am but at least he was on there. I would say 4 k is at least a week probably two away before real movement starts....

Scrapes opening up on each of my four hunting spots. One has a scrape cluster of 13 in a 20 yard area (old apple orchard.) But the big boys seem to be hanging back til dark according to my trail cams. Young bucks dogging does. Does hitting the overhanging branches of the scrapes with regularity...we are close. Can't wait for the temps to drop this weekend...maybe the big boys will be on their feet in the daytime! Rut right on time...even with the crazy hot temps.  Should explode right after the full moon in November.

15 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

Two scrapes on two different properties...about five miles apart. Both made last night (Sunday.) And a good rub with fresh shavings...Nothing like this time of year to get the juices flowing!

Scrape tree stand in the background .jpg

Fresh scrape last night .jpg

Fresh rub with shavings .jpg

In the top photo, you can see my tree stand in the top righthand quadrant...near the top of the photo.