DANG! Another Rifle all Covered With Rust!

I have often heard rust on a gun compared to cancer. It must be attacked aggressively to stop it, or it will just resurface in the future. Your gun should be stripped down to bare metal, polished, and given a professional hot bluing in order to put a stop to it. After that good routine maintenance should prevent any rust from reoccurring in the future. Any less, and you will just be kicking the can down the road when it comes to rust.

valoroutdoors.com

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlieNY said:

I have often heard rust on a gun compared to cancer. It must be attacked aggressively to stop it, or it will just resurface in the future. Your gun should be stripped down to bare metal, polished, and given a professional hot bluing in order to put a stop to it. After that good routine maintenance should prevent any rust from reoccurring in the future. Any less, and you will just be kicking the can down the road when it comes to rust.

valoroutdoors.com

Seems like it cleaned up pretty well with a wire brush. Maybe I got lucky.

tmLXemu.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SmokeinTN said:

Looks great. Is it a Krag?

Yep, it's the rifle in my avatar.

7CAO9BZ.jpg

My Dad bought it for $12 on 1958. I was a wide eyed 8 year old sitting in the kitchen of a Western PA farmhouse watching the deal go down. Except for the Pacific K-2 receiver sight, I'm restoring it to a similar condition as when Dad bought it. (The GI sights are horrible for hunting)

It needs another rust/boil/card cycle and then I"m going to skip the boil & just rust/card the last coat to try for an "antique"  finish. Due to their not being conducive to boiling, I left a few items (striker/extractor/safety) as is and I am going try to match the patina on those. I might try going heavy with the wire wheel to wear through a few "high spots" to simulate  80+ tears of (careful) handling.

I want it to look like a well cared for late 1920s "sporterized" Krag sporting an original patina finish. I sanded through some of the original metal finish when I had the rear sight base screw holes welded up and restocked it a couple of years ago. A rust blue job was in order.. I should have it finished in a few days. I post some pictures when it is done.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Yep, it's the rifle in my avatar.

7CAO9BZ.jpg

My Dad bought it for $12 on 1958. I was a wide eyed 8 year old sitting in the kitchen of a Western PA farmhouse watching the deal; go down.

It needs another rust/boil/card cycle and then I"m going to skip the boil & just rust/card the last coat to try for an "antique"  finish. Due to their not being conducive to boiling, I left a few items (striker/extractor/safety) as is and I am going try to match the patina on those. I might try going heavy with the wire wheel to wear through a few "high spots" to simulate  80+ tears of (careful) handling.

I want it to look like a well cared for late 1920s "sporterized" Krag sporting an original patina finish. I sanded through some of the original metal finish when I had the rear sight base screw holes welded up and restocked it a couple of years ago. A rust blue job was in order.. I should have it finished in a few days. I post some pictures when it is done.

Can't wait to see it finished. I had a customized Krag once nice shooter smooth as silk. Where about in Western PA did  live?

20 minutes ago, SmokeinTN said:

Can't wait to see it finished. I had a customized Krag once nice shooter smooth as silk. Where about in Western PA did  live?

Well, actually there's a little village about 1/2 way between Butler and Kittanning off of 422 founded by and named after my ancestors. "Fennelton", ever here of it? We moved away in 1959, but returned to the Irwin area in 1967 and later, Springdale. In 1973 I left PA for good. I still have relatives in the Butler and Tarantum area.

I load Hornady 160gr FTX bullets made for the 308 Marlin express. They feed like greased suasages and chronograph @ 2580 fps average. I was using the FTX for the 30/30, but the Mv was a bit too much for them.

Edited by wildcat junkie

7 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Well, actually there's a little village about 1/2 way between Butler and Kittanning off of 422 founded by and named after my ancestors. "Fennelton", ever here of it? We moved away in 1959, but returned to the Irwin area and later, Springdale. In 1973 I left PA for good. I still have relatives in the Butler and Tarantum area.

I load Hornady 160gr FTX bullets made for the 308 Marlin express. They feed like greased suasages and chronograph @ 2580 fps average. I was using the FTX for the 30/30, but the Mv was a bit too much for them.

Didn't get in that area much but know where it is. I come from the Scranton area. I loaded 150 g Speer I think it was a long time ago. Can't remember fps. Been all over Part and NY.

18 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

7 minutes ago, SmokeinTN said:

. I loaded 150 g Speer I think it was a long time ago. Can't remember fps. Been all over Part and NY.

YjyDdEe.jpg

• Like 2

Okay Pygmy, try not to make a "mess"!

The bad news is; I couldn't get the brown hue I was looking for by skipping the boiling step.

The good news is; The blue came out pretty well. The blue isn't high gloss and it blends well with the rest of the unpolished metal work.

Since I wasn't going for a "brand new look", I avoided polishing parts that still had an even patina. The magazine door and all of the bolt parts except the bolt handle were left as is and rust blued over the existing patina.

A1rlohu.jpg

pJZvxqj.jpg

xZjhPOC.jpg

2D7qgRO.jpg

AXTLfVT.jpg

aSBgfTP.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

Looks tremendous! Beautiful wood, would personally be afraid to bring it to the woods and get all banged up. Truly a resto job very well done!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's an oil finish. If it gets scratched, it can be buffed out with steel wool and touched up.

That stock cost me a whole $15 and it looked horrendous, (for a Krag) it had a Monte Carlo comb & cheekpiece with a pistol grip and white line spacers.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

I need to get to the range and check the zero! I have 107 rounds loaded up for it.

I'm hoping I can reliably bust a milk jug at 200yds with it.

Correct that! I now have 100rds. I used 7 busting up rocks in the back yard at 60yds. :)

• Like 1