Lessons learned.

zeus1gdsm

I'm not sure if you clean your barrel after sighting in but out of my muzzleloaders I have a noticeable impact difference between a fouled and a clean barrel, like 4-6" difference. I always sight in, clean it and shoot one more round to foul the barrel before hunting. Give it a try next time and I bet you see an impact difference...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yes clean every 2 shots during sighting and hunt with a clean barrell

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shockwaves and SSTs are the exact same bullet lol. Traditions also markets it.
I have had issues with both of them. They are both super accurate, but the bullet goes in, small hole, comes out, small hole. Not much if any blood, deer run 70 - 100 yards, then blood everywhere and dead deer within 10 to 20 yards. I have had it happen at long range (200 yards) and short range (20 yards) on bucks, and everywhere in between on does. Unless you get a head shot, its almost the same scenario every time. Shoulder shots and vitals. Typically a shoulder shot will take them off their feet, but I always have them get back up and run. I do not run a super hot load either. I need to sight my ML back in this year after replacing the scope, so Im going to go ahead and switch bullets as well. Ill be trying the Barnes and Federal bullets to see which one gives me better accuracy.
Lemme know if you get better results with the other bullets.

Exit hole was same size as entry

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used the hornady SST's in 250gr which is the same bullet as T/C's.   Now I use hornady XTP 240gr 44 mag hollowpoints with a harvested sabot.  I always use real goex blackpowder.  I use 90grs FFFg loose powder.  I have found the shockwaves kill well, but leave poor blood trails.  I like the XTP's better myself.  The 45 long colt XTP's are great too, but I use that in a 45 colt lever gun.

I use real blackpowder because I also shoot flintlocks which need real blackpowder.  Also blackpowder is easier to clean up than some alternative powders.  The fouling just dissovles to nothing with water.  I'd had to work hard to get everything out of the gun with triple seven.

A slower traveling bullet, you need to know what it does at 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, and so on.   

Practice field shots as much as you can.   I do 50 yard prone, 50 yard offhand, 50 yard leaning against a tree, and 50 yard kneeling with a rimfire.  

I like your general scope choice of low power.  But, use higher power binouclars to check for a clear shot.  Bullets of any size, shape, or speed deflect when hit by small twigs or even worse....

Shockwaves and SSTs are the exact same bullet lol. Traditions also markets it.
I have had issues with both of them. They are both super accurate, but the bullet goes in, small hole, comes out, small hole. Not much if any blood, deer run 70 - 100 yards, then blood everywhere and dead deer within 10 to 20 yards. I have had it happen at long range (200 yards) and short range (20 yards) on bucks, and everywhere in between on does. Unless you get a head shot, its almost the same scenario every time. Shoulder shots and vitals. Typically a shoulder shot will take them off their feet, but I always have them get back up and run. I do not run a super hot load either. I need to sight my ML back in this year after replacing the scope, so Im going to go ahead and switch bullets as well. Ill be trying the Barnes and Federal bullets to see which one gives me better accuracy.

Not entirely true. Since either bullet hit the market they have gone through some changes. I have older SSTs that have soft pliable red tips, and newer ones that have hardened tips similar to the shockwave. I've also heard a few times that the original shockwave sabots were .001 thicker compared to the SST sabots. I think they have made them identical now, but they weren't always that way. I got a buddy who's big into front stuffers and swears by Barnes bullets, going to give them a try this year.

I love the Barnes Expander MZ's, muzzleloading projectiles can be tricky to get proper performance, all projectiles are made to perform in a certain velocity range and it seems everyone uses different loads/powders. That being said I've shot a lot of different ones and the Barnes are my favorite for accuracy and penetration. I've shot powerbelts, hated them, I've shot the SST's, they weren't too bad, and various other Walmart specials. They all killed the deer but didn't always exit or expand. I only shoot 100 grains of white hots for powder. I'll probably jump to 150 someday and see what difference I see on deer but 100 has never let me down, then again I've never shot a deer over 75 yds I don't think with my muzzy...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I feel your pain. I am usually all hunted out by muzzleloader season but not this year..so i went out Fri and sat and got some snow on gun.. so Sunday morning a nice 6 comes in at 30 yards and click just primer so luckily he stays I change primer and again click and he walks away.. unload gun and powder definitely got wet.. lesson learned but man kick myself never shot one with muzzleloader 

6 minutes ago, pryz366 said:

I feel your pain. I am usually all hunted out by muzzleloader season but not this year..so i went out Fri and sat and got some snow on gun.. so Sunday morning a nice 6 comes in at 30 yards and click just primer so luckily he stays I change primer and again click and he walks away.. unload gun and powder definitely got wet.. lesson learned but man kick myself never shot one with muzzleloader 

You should get more than just a click if the primer is firing but the powder is wet. Ive had it happen, it sounds almost like a 22 rimfire going off.

14 minutes ago, pryz366 said:

Electrical tape over the end of the barrel will keep snow and rain from running down barrel.  And once loaded (obviously pull primer ) keep gun somewhere cold so no condensation gets to powder. Not that I had a brain fart and already knew this on second day of regular season and brought gun inside >Nope, hang fire delay of about 3 seconds on a big plump doe didn't happen to me:rolleyes: Missed her clean by 4 feet over her . Of course I flinched with primer and then even more after waiting and then bang. Only chance to pull the trigger all season too.