OMG. The ticks are taking over the world..

mowin

Haven't been hunting yet. Been too busy.

Was at a client's property today, and after getting the lawn done, decided to check a couple stands.  

Was in the woods for about 15 min. When I got back to the truck, I look at my pants legs..  I couldn't believe the ticks. In 10 min afterwards, I pulled 36.... Yes I said 36,  ticks off me.  

Couldn't wait to get home and change/shower. I always spray my hunting clothes, but I was working and didn't have any spray with me. 

• Like 1

I sprayed my bibs and boots with permathin, prior to heading up to the NZ last weekend for ML hunting.  It did a good job of keeping them off from me.   I did not bother re-applying for opening of rifle this weekend, because I think it is supposed to last for a few weeks, even if you wash it.   One thing is certain, I will never bring another deer carcass home from up there.  I picked over a hundred ticks off from the buck that I brought home last year, before and while I was skinning it.   The  $ 50  that the butcher shop up there charges for processing is well worth it, just to not have to deal with the ticks.  There was not a single one in the box of packaged venison that they sent me home with from the doe I killed up there last year during ML season.   

30 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I sprayed my bibs and boots with permathin, prior to heading up to the NZ last weekend for ML hunting.  It did a good job of keeping them off from me.   I did not bother re-applying for opening of rifle this weekend, because I think it is supposed to last for a few weeks, even if you wash it.   

I get it from Walmart. Yellow and black spray bottle made by Sawyer. Cost about $9 bucks. 

Treat your clothes in a well ventilated area. Give a nice even spray covering all layers of the clothes. Let sit for 2 hours(4 if humid). Last for 42 days(if not washed). Keep well away from cats. Very bad for them. Not bad for dogs says sawyer. I called poison control and they said if you get it on ur skin, just wash with soap and water. 

I watched many videos and the ticks last about 10 seconds then start to drunk walk and eventually fall off and die. I watch a mosquito land on me and it immediately died with its beak still stuck in my pant leg. I have not had a single tick on me at all this season and I've only been in deep woods.

Love the stuff. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spook said:

I get it from Walmart. Yellow and black spray bottle made by Sawyer. Cost about $9 bucks. 

Treat your clothes in a well ventilated area. Give a nice even spray covering all layers of the clothes. Let sit for 2 hours(4 if humid). Last for 42 days(if not washed). Keep well away from cats. Very bad for them. Not bad for dogs says sawyer. I called poison control and they said if you get it on ur skin, just wash with soap and water. 

I watched many videos and the ticks last about 10 seconds then start to drunk walk and eventually fall off and die. I watch a mosquito land on me and it immediately died with its beak still stuck in my pant leg. I have not had a single tick on me at all this season and I've only been in deep woods.

I probably should have treated my jacket also, because a few jumped on it, when I returned to the spot where I had killed that tick-infested buck last fall, and attached my hammock seat to the same tree that I shot him from.   I just swatted them off and made sure to do a good inspection in the shower that evening.   I will not return to that area until after a few hard frosts, which means it is not happening this weekend.  

14 minutes ago, Spook said:

That's the stuff I've been using for yrs. Works great.  

The really crappy this is.... it's not even Lyme that's my worry. It's that powesian virus that has been reported in Saratoga county. One bite is all it takes. No having the tick on you for 24-48 hrs. It eats at ur nervous system and then has a very high probability to kill you. No cure. Only treatments. I didn't even wanna go in my own back yard early in the summer. 

• Like 2

Never had an issue at my spot in 8h , this year I had one on me after returning home. It was walking around my ankle area not attached . I bought the Sawyers and soaked all of my outer wear ( bought two bottles ) and boots . 

Also sprayed inside of boots and pant legs .

I store them in contractor bags and remove boots and hunting clothes before getting in car for drive home .

The day I got one I walked through a lot of heavy brush , I mostly walk plowed up fields and pretty open hardwoods though .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I've yet to see/pull a tick off me in 8F.

From day one I've used Sawyer. Get the bottle from amazon and all clothes get treated a couple days before hunting season, thoroughly. Should stay on for 6 weeks or through 6 washes, whichever is first. I only wash clothes lightly and after a few washes I would re-apply. I have heard they can withstand a frost but my guess is once you get the first proper sub-32 they're gone for the season (not positive).

Lyme disease absolutely sucks ass, so you gotta get those ticks taken care of. The fact I never see them makes me wonder if I'm not looking properly.

Edited by Core

Ticks are strange, it doesn't seem like they are everywhere. I have not found a tick on me while hunting and the deer I have shot I haven't noticed any ticks in them (although I haven't looked hard). I haven't felt the need to spray my gear or anything. I walk my dog very frequently at a Nature preserve around the corner from my house. In all the years I have been going there I noticed 1 tick on my dog. My neighbor and I decided we would try a nature preserve a little farther away (by Saratoga Lake) last weekend. We walked basically the whole preserve. A lot of brush and tall grass. Got in the truck to leave and felt something on my arm....flicked a tick off out the window, felt something on my leg not long after and it was another tick. When I got home I noticed one on my dogs head...brought him in the bathroom where there was good light and pulled off at least 25 and flushed them and decided to take the dog outside and brush him where I pulled off at least 25 more. His Seresta collar is suppose to kill them but I don't want those buggers in the house. I took a shower after because I felt like they were all over me....

• Like 1

yup tick population differs alot from area to area i hunted one area that was so over run with them that it was un-real found over 60 on my cloths after a couple hrs i actually passed shooting a buck because it was so infested its ears looked like a ball of lil wild grapes i stopped hunting this spot because of the lil bastards.... 10 minutes down the road no ticks to speak of... and where i hunt now going on the second year no ticks so far....

I often wonder if they are less in Ag country where farms spray or use in ground pest killers...son of a gun you guys have me itching.  Too bad they couldn't use such a spray on fallow fields ...places deer like to walk through, problem is bees, helpful bugs and of course deer/animals feeding...One day they'll have to find a tick specific killer...they came up with weed specific killers...who knows...They'll be are next pandemic :rolleyes: