pasta sauce

growalot

Who here puts carrots in their home made pasta sauce? I use high acid tomatoes to can These due to safety ,higher the acid safer the water bath canning. I have had an awful time with the acidity of my sauce in years past...tried everything...the old Italian methods of swt wines and a pinch of sugar,,nope. I can taste the sugar and the acid though I do use a rich wine in my sauces. Then I read about carrots...man I now have the smoothest sauces...I chunk the carrots for those that don't want them but they some how cut that acid and enhances the tomato flavor with just a hint of mild sweetness... So this is why I ask...about who else has heard of this and does it?

Who here puts carrots in their home made pasta sauce? I use high acid tomatoes to can These due to safety ,higher the acid safer the water bath canning. I have had an awful time with the acidity of my sauce in years past...tried everything...the old Italian methods of swt wines and a pinch of sugar,,nope. I can taste the sugar and the acid though I do use a rich wine in my sauces. Then I read about carrots...man I now have the smoothest sauces...I chunk the carrots for those that don't want them but they some how cut that acid and enhances the tomato flavor with just a hint of mild sweetness... So this is why I ask...about who else has heard of this and does it?
Have you tried basil?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, growalot said:

My wife is Italian and makes red sauce all the time. never used carrots?

• Like 1

I have been around sauce my whole life, from my grandparents, to my parents to my wife and we have never used carots. We use a plum tomato called San Marzano, they are naturally sweeter, less acidic and have less seeds. Use this variety and you will never use another type of tomato. 

• Like 3

Toss sugar-rich vegetables into your sauce instead of table sugar if you are trying to create a more healthful dish. A few handfuls of carrots in your simmering sauce will have the same effect as the sugar. As the carrots soften in the sauce, they release natural sugar into your sauce and lower the acidity.

Best Answer:  Because carrots as they are sweet takes the acidity of the tomatoes and also gives a nice color to the sauce.

Actually there is a lot of info on it....All I know is it works...PS.. I grow my own basil and oregano...use lots with the garlic, onions peppers with big chunks of mushrooms and red wine. Saute all veggies prior to adding to tomato and add the spices a bit later...some spices will get bitter in long simmers.

15 minutes ago, growalot said:

Biz..I'm Irish...gravy is what we put on our potatoes...sauce is on our pastas..lol

Ya because I can in a non pressure cooker can, I won't use a low acid tomato..but no need now..wish I could find where I read that..I'll search on line..

My parents boil thier jars to seal and have never had an issue with low acidic sauce. Not sure for the pressure cooker, never used one to seal jars.

pressure cookers are for the non acid foods like non pickled beans and most veggies..of course meats....Water bath canning requires a higher acidic food source be it in the veggies or added with a pickling brine. I even add a teaspoon of vinegar to my tomatoes when using mixed variety's...That second link is the best to read...many older canning books are based on heirloom varieties...I've been canning our foods for 38 yrs..

http://www.dummies.com/food-drink/canning/why-acidity-levels-are-important-when-canning-foods/

http://foodinjars.com/2013/09/canning-101-acid-and-ph-in-boiling-water-bath-canning/

Edited by growalot

28 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Gravy hell no, its either called sauce or ragu...will never hear an italian calling a tomato sauce a gravy. 

I was joking. I'm not Italian, but my friends who are laugh at the wannabes who say "gravy".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was joking. I'm not Italian, but my friends who are laugh at the wannabes who say "gravy".

Why not call it what the Italians call it?  I'm not Italian, but people sometimes think I am, so I've learned a thing or two from them over the years.  I sure don't look like an Italian, but I guess it may be my name that has them fooled.  LOL

https://www.thespruce.com/pasta-sauce-gravy-or-ragu-2019557

13 minutes ago, JaredA WNY8G said:

my mom is Sicilian and my dad is half Italian we do not use carrots and we do not call it gravy lol.. must've been lost in translation at some time?.... sugar yes. pork and ribs yes.  pasta e fagioli we do use carrots... now i'm hungry.

if you put in carrots its called soup. If i got carrots in my pasta sauce at a restaurant i would send it back. or peas.... or lima beans...... nope.  

• Like 2

Sauce is made from tomatoes, and gravy is made from meat drippings in the roasting pan. They're both good and tasty, but don't confuse them.

To Grow's OP,  I don't remember carrots ever being used. But if there was too much salt in a batch of sauce a potato would be added to the pot to cut that back.