What knife do you use for field dressing?

Jdubs

13 minutes ago, Estobles said:

Old original Buck knife my Dad gave me about 50 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about asking my Pop to give me a knife for Christmas this year so I have a special knife. He's 93 and he sadly won't be around forever. But a special hunting knife will give cherished moments in the field. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've been thinking about asking my Pop to give me a knife for Christmas this year so I have a special knife. He's 93 and he sadly won't be around forever. But a special hunting knife will give cherished moments in the field. 

29 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I ahve a couple of very special knives...One is a Buck 110  that my ex-wife gave me the first year we were married...I used it for many years and went back several times to paw through gutpiles to recover it..In September of 1989  in Alaska, I used it to butcher two bull moose by myself in one day..I no longer carry it for fear of losing it..  My another special knife is a Puma folder that I bought for my Dad in the late 1970's...I re-inherited it when he died in 1994....It is a great  knife and I used it a lot...

• Like 2

for years I used my Buck 110, but allways thought it on the clumsy side. for about the past 20, my favorite has been a 3" drop point caper I put walnut handles on. great little knife, my all time favorite but the fat thick little blade left something to be desired loosening the rectum (kinda odd sounding) and needed frequent rehoning. The past couple years I have gone over to a vintge Schrade Sharpfinger.....probably the best combo of design and edge holding I have used so far. After using it a few days ago on my ML spike horn, I had to take a minute to realize just how dang effortless it made the task. 

4 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Just curious what others are using.  This Piranta is scapel-like sharp.

20171021_140742.jpg

I had one like this, but lost it last year. I still have the refill blades. I was looking into buying a regular surgical scalpel handle and seeing if the Havalon Piranta blades would fit in it. There are several different sizes of scalpel handle sizes, and I am not sure which one, if any, would fit (I'm guessing a #4). Any doctors or vets on the board that would know? In the meantime, I bought some disposable scalpels that I am going to try out in the field.

16 hours ago, Estobles said:

Old original Buck knife my Dad gave me about 50 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just reminded me that my parents gave me a nice buck knife many moons ago when I was a Boy Scout.  I'll have to dig that one out.

• Like 1

Mostly,  I use a one of two old four inch folding Buck knives. And every now and then, a fixed blade Old Timer.  All honed razor sharp by me, on an Arkansas whet stone I've used for decades. One of these knives will go to my grandson when he field dresses his first deer this year.

• Like 1