What's the best hunting knife?

thomashoard1909

I want to purchase a knife for the upcoming hunting season, but I would like some input on what kind. I'm looking in the $100 price range. I'm interested in opinions on the type of steel; the three I'm looking at were VG 10, AUS 8, and D2. The knife I buy would not be used alot, but when it is it will take a beating. Skinning deer and butchering meat would be the primary functions, but also used around the camp for general purpose like pealing potatoes, onions, cooking, etc.

I want a knife that will hold a razor edge for a good while, but one that I can sharpen quickly.

So what's your ideas on the best knife for the money?

Thanks!

This may sound dumb but are razor sharp knives a necessity or more ego  in field dressing a deer ? I can see a really sharp knife cutting out the butt would be the most useful of it. I use the buttout tool though.    After that I cut up to the sternum then skin back a little back then from there it's mostly pulling and tugging until cutting through the diaphragm and wind pipe I have a pretty good edge on my cheaper Gerber but don't get overly OCD about it. I gut a deer and it still has a great edge but will hone it a minute or so for the next time out. Just don't see the use  of scalpels and such as I'm not performing surgery.  Now sharp knives and processing are a different story.

Sidenote: how many cut through the sternum ? I don't, I just reach up as far as I can to cut windpipe Never saw  reason (no pun intended) to saw through it.

And I've hear Benchmade are pretty solid. My Spyderco (Thanks Larry) keeps a great edge as my primary carry knife

Also don't get guys who use big Bowie knives to gut a deer. My long blade on my Swiss Army knife would work just fine. Just an observation

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

This may sound dumb but are razor sharp knives a necessity or more ego  in field dressing a deer ? I can see a really sharp knife cutting out the butt would be the most useful of it. I use the buttout tool though.    After that I cut up to the sternum then skin back a little back then from there it's mostly pulling and tugging until cutting through the diaphragm and wind pipe I have a pretty good edge on my cheaper Gerber but don't get overly OCD about it. I gut a deer and it still has a great edge but will hone it a minute or so for the next time out. Just don't see the use  of scalpels and such as I'm not performing surgery.  Now sharp knives and processing are a different story.

Sidenote: how many cut through the sternum ? I don't, I just reach up as far as I can to cut windpipe Never saw  reason (no pun intended) to saw through it.

And I've hear Benchmade are pretty solid. My Spyderco (Thanks Larry) keeps a great edge as my primary carry knife

Also don't get guys who use big Bowie knives to gut a deer. My long blade on my Swiss Army knife would work just fine. Just an observation

Another thing I liked about the Piranta was the option to toss it in the dishwasher for easy cleaning. :D

Aw holds an edge and sharpens easy ...... Generally one can have one or the  other , remember , edge degree , profile , primary and secondary bevels as well as heat treat all  play a role on how easy it is to sharpen as well cut .

Aus 8 is a fine basic steel that has fallen a bit in popularity of late.

D2 is a tool steel it'll hold an edge a long time , but may require aggressive stones and time to resharpen .

VG 10 , is one of my favorite steels , now it was developed for botanical use, it has a fine grain structure and is used for grafting plants as it doesn't crush the cells . I don't have trouble sharpening it either .

s30v is asl one of my favorites . 

Most companies will resharpen for free or return shipping 

• Like 1

I use 2 free knives that i got for subscribing to deer and deer hunting magazine. I only use it for skinning and butchering deer so It doesnt need to be sharpened much. I want to get a good knife around 100 bucks as well, but my sharpening skills arent good at all. I use a worksharp belt grinder to sharpen my knives which does a great job, but it somewhat blunts the tip of it. Maybe when i finally learn to use a stone ill get one.

I never split the sternum either. Never had trouble reaching up for the esophagus so the hassle of breaking through it was never necessary for me.  

• Like 1

ATbuckhunter, I believe worksharp puts on a convex edge , which means you’ll be changing the type of edge on most knives . Many touch up convex on a mouse pad with Emory cloth on top  .

Rounding a tip can happen with most systems , try not to pull it all the way to the end , it happens when tip “ slips “ off .

Ill do some research when I get out  of the hot tub to find you what you’er looking for .

Never split the sternum, just reach in elbow deep and cover the tip of my benchmade with my pointer and hope to God I don't accidentally cut my left hand or guts when I reach in. I must admit I have sliced my left thumb knuckle a time or two inside a deer, thats why I love a razor sharp knife...makes it nice clean cut that hurts less lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

never a reason to split the sternum....only going to get more dirt / etc. into the cavity,  Probably there are more Buck 110 series folders out there gutting deer than any other knife....for darn good reason. Holds an edge, strong, does the job, will never wear out. I don't care for the Pirhrana  (sic?) knifes... too long and slender a blade, no faith in em. they appear fragile to me.

• Like 3

I agree Dave, my knife should be able to dress game, cut down saplings, spilt kindling , help,with shelter building and many more .

Most of all,it should build memories  of decades of use and adventures. I have one that dressed my first buck ( and many more ) canoed the Yukon and many more rivers , was on my belt on about 100k of motorcycle miles.

Sorry no plastic change a blade thingie has that soul or ability .

18 hours ago, thomashoard1909 said:

I want to purchase a knife for the upcoming hunting season, but I would like some input on what kind. I'm looking in the $100 price range. I'm interested in opinions on the type of steel; the three I'm looking at were VG 10, AUS 8, and D2. The knife I buy would not be used alot, but when it is it will take a beating. Skinning deer and butchering meat would be the primary functions, but also used around the camp for general purpose like pealing potatoes, onions, cooking, etc.

I want a knife that will hold a razor edge for a good while, but one that I can sharpen quickly.

So what's your ideas on the best knife for the money?

Thanks!

After much thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that about all this guy will be cutting is SPAM. 

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

I always have a few knives. I have found as long as it is sharp you don't need anything fancy

This is my favorite & is pretty much always with me I also usually have my Buck 119 & a Kershaw folding knife

but best all round butchering knife you can't beat a fillet knife

IMG_20151016_114731365.jpg

Are VG 10, AUS 8, and D2 carbon steels?  I know the majority of hunting knives these days, especially the less expensive ones are made of stainless steel, but from my experience a carbon steel knife will hold its edge way better than any stainless steel knife I ever had.  Not to say there aren't some high quality stainless steel knives out there that wouldn't hold their edge just as good, but I have a couple German carbon steel knives probably 50 years old that are unbelievable when it comes to holding their edge.  You can saw tree limbs with them and they are no worse for wear.  Try that with moderately priced stainless steel knives.  You'll screw up the edge on it in no time.

Also, I'm with the others who would never be caught dead with a replaceable blade hunting knife.  I don't care how sharp they are, those things are toys compared to a real hunting knife.

there is no "best".

I personally like my buck knife. mostly because it was given to me by my father when i started hunting. But it's not too bulky, folds up nice and holds a good edge. I like the idea of the havalon with the replaceable blades. no doubt they are awesome... but I kind of like sharpening the old buck knife. I have a the outdoor edge field processing kit that usually runs $50 for the butchering process. Not great knives but they do the job at a decent price. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Buck-Knives-Folding-Hunter-Knife/714031.uts?slotId=2

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Outdoor-Edge-reg-Game-Processor/747253.uts?slotId=1 

Edited by Belo