Going to the range this morning

Pygmy

I'm taking my 3 primary deer rifles to the range this morning to make sure they are still dialed in...I'll be shooting my Rem 700 Mountain rifle in 7mm08,  my Win M70 lightweight  in .280 Rem, and my Springfield m03A3 sporter in 30-06...

• Like 5

Every rifle shot fine....The .280  threw the first shot about 4" over the bull, as it usually does with a cold, clean barrel....Everything else was grouping nicely about 2-3 " above the bull at 100, which will give me about a 250 yard zero with all 3 rifles..  My buddy went along and brought his new Taurus 9MM pocket pistol....We put about 50 rounds through it...It is a nice, concealable carry gun and is plenty accurate enough for what it is designed for, but the trigger was AWFUL  !!  I had trouble holding my breath long enough to squeeze it....made me appreciate my snubby Smith .38, even though it does only hold 5 rounds... he also had a Korean War vintage M1 carbine that we had some fun running some rounds through...Fun to shoot and nice to carry, but in a combat situation I'd rather have my Garand...

• Like 2

That's a BRAGGING group, Hock ...<<grin>>...I'm a big fan of Barnes X-type bullets....I tend to load them light for caliber and as fast as I can and still maintain good accuracy...Ask Lawdwaz about his experience with the 80 grain Barnes in the .243.... I have been shooting the 120 Grain TSX in my 7mm08  , running about 3000 FPS  for several years now and if there is a better deer bullet, I haven't found it..They expand reliably and penetrate like crazy..I haven't recovered one yet.

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Actually it is not a 4 inch difference....The rifle is sighted 2.5- 3 "  high at 100, so it is only 1.5"  high....I don't worry about it.  

This is exactly how my rifles, 7mm/08 and 270, are sighted in.  So out to 300 yards just put it center mass, just behind, or on  the shoulder, and get the bang flop. No guessing involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

That's a BRAGGING group, Hock ...<<grin>>...I'm a big fan of Barnes X-type bullets....I tend to load them light for caliber and as fast as I can and still maintain good accuracy...Ask Lawdwaz about his experience with the 80 grain Barnes in the .243.... I have been shooting the 120 Grain TSX in my 7mm08  , running about 3000 FPS  for several years now and if there is a better deer bullet, I haven't found it..They expand reliably and penetrate like crazy..I haven't recovered one yet.

I finally worked up a load for my sons 7-08 which I copied from you. Barnes TTSX 120gr, RL15 powder. No surprise to me it worked best on max load, I need to shoot it one or two more times to fine tune it but I was impressed in the gains I saw over factory ammo. I am really pleased that his cheapo Axis performed as well as it did, if I could get by the bolt and looks I would buy one..hehe

• Like 1

I finally worked up a load for my sons 7-08 which I copied from you. Barnes TTSX 120gr, RL15 powder. No surprise to me it worked best on max load, I need to shoot it one or two more times to fine tune it but I was impressed in the gains I saw over factory ammo. I am really pleased that his cheapo Axis performed as well as it did, if I could get by the bolt and looks I would buy one..hehe
Is is the bolt or bolt handle? I just replaced my bolt handle on my 22-250 With one from glades armory. Never any problems anymore.
Additionally I just replaced the stock trigger with one from Rifle Basics, what a huge difference. This past weekend shot 2 5 shot groups, 100 yards suppressed,
Group A - 0.59
Group B - 0.53

Without a doubt one of the easiest shooting rifles I own.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

On 10/24/2017 at 11:04 AM, Doewhacker said:

I am really pleased that his cheapo Axis performed as well as it did, if I could get by the bolt and looks I would buy one..hehe

I know the Savage's are known as great shooting guns, and the looks of a gun are certainly not everything, but the bolt handle on the Savage rifles looks like a dog's leg ready to be lifted to do it's thing. LOL   Plus, the entire bolt has like 1000 parts to it compared to most other bolts out there.  The Savage's will definitely do the trick, but they'll never win any beauty contests.

1 hour ago, TACC said:

Is is the bolt or bolt handle? I just replaced my bolt handle on my 22-250 With one from glades armory. Never any problems anymore.
Additionally I just replaced the stock trigger with one from Rifle Basics, what a huge difference. This past weekend shot 2 5 shot groups, 100 yards suppressed,
Group A - 0.59
Group B - 0.53

Without a doubt one of the easiest shooting rifles I own.

Actually the whole action is sticky and tight to me. On top of that there is barely any room when the bolt is open between the scope and the bolt. 

Functionaly speaking it’s fine, I just don’t like it lol. 

7 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I know the Savage's are known as great shooting guns, and the looks of a gun are certainly not everything, but the bolt handle on the Savage rifles looks like a dog's leg ready to be lifted to do it's thing. LOL   Plus, the entire bolt has like 1000 parts to it compared to most other bolts out there.  The Savage's will definitely do the trick, but they'll never win any beauty contests.

It ain’t no Browning or xzy brand but we got it for him because it was cheap.  I’ll post the results after final adjustments to show that it is indeed a shooter though. 

I could buy three or four Savages for the price of some other guns but in the end it will kill deer just as dead and be just as accurate. And...I don’t have to shoot it haha

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

It ain’t no Browning or xzy brand but we got it for him because it was cheap.  I’ll post the results after final adjustments to show that it is indeed a shooter though. 

I could buy three or four Savages for the price of some other guns but in the end it will kill deer just as dead and be just as accurate. And...I don’t have to shoot it haha

Yup, a dead deer is a dead deer.  

I never have been interested in my deer rifle shooting tiny groups. I just shot this 4 shot group free hand at 100yds. The 65yr old 35rem is still able to get it done.190751ee13b5cc8844ce22354776b562.jpg&key=57b2ecee5b7589fa6a8460d33c397dd6e8746aba54254ca7b6b091a55e35c232

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My only reason I like to see small groups is so when I shoot using the not so perfect position and my groups may open up at a 100 yards, I know it is me and not the gun.
Lastly, I hate chasing wounded animals, 99.9% of my shots are neck or head, or I don't shoot, doe or buck.

58 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I never have been interested in my deer rifle shooting tiny groups. I just shot this 4 shot group free hand at 100yds. The 65yr old 35rem is still able to get it done.190751ee13b5cc8844ce22354776b562.jpg

Nice off hand at 100!  Gotta love a pump action 35 for still hunting!  

Nice off hand at 100!  Gotta love a pump action 35 for still hunting!  

Thanks Grampy, the truth is this old worn out pump was well trained way before it became mine. I'll have to take some pictures of the old girl to show how beat up it really is. Not really any rust just a ton of honest wear. I found that gun at zacks down on round lake. Got it cheap but probably over paid for it. I have a soft spot for worn out old deer rifles and couldn't let someone else buy it and make it sit in a tree stand all the time.

• Like 1