Crossbow consistency problems - need advice

Curmudgeon

Thanks everyone. Here's an update:

Yes, it was a broadhead issue. The Mussy's were all over the place. However, the scope must have gotten bumped. I had multiple problems. The crossbow came with the cantilevered rail already mounted. I put the scope on but did not check the rail. I still have not because it will require removing the scope. I'm just treating the thing like a piece of grandma's china for now. After the season I will put locktite on it and crank down. It is good right now.

I bought Rage 2" for crossbows. The practice head was holding 3" groups at 30 yards. That is acceptable since I will never shoot beyond that.

Today I hung a big doe in the barn, so it works. The real thing worked perfectly at 15 yards. What a hole it made. I target does because of the ag damage. I let 2 small bucks pass, along with a yearling doe that is so tiny she could be mistaken for a fawn. 

The Rage heads come with an extra plastic sleeve so you can reuse them. Does anyone do this? The sharp edges are pretty rough right now. I am pretty good at sharpening things. I could probably restore the edge. At over $10 a pop, they are pricey.

Might seem wasteful, but once shot (hit or miss) my mechanical BHs go into the practice pile. Even the smallest, undetectable nick, burr, bent blade might effect a mechanical BH's performance, esp when you're depending on it to be perfect. Granted, most mfger's have replacement blades, I just prefer to have a virgin mechanical BH and have a higher level of confidence it'll work as advertised when I need it to!!!! To each, his/her own!!

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, Curmudgeon said:

Thanks. I'll be near Dick's today.

I am using the drawing device provided with the xbow.

Rage heads are getting mixed reviews here. Any others use them?  

A little late to the party on this post, but my Rage Crossbow X worked as it should on a 30 yard shot.