Carrying Crossbow/compound bow simultaneously

chrisw

Must be part of the snowflake crowd that can't bare to have a challenging conversation? I'll be sure to copy you in when we discuss unicorns and rainbows. 
I'm talking? Seems you're just heading for name calling and childish behavior rather than the topic at hand so I'd assume you're done??

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

likely the reason it is illegal is because currently the "crossbow" falls under the laws of muzzleloading firearm, hence the reason you have to have the muzzleloader stamp to use one during the traditional archery season.

the laws listed in the regulations book you receive when purchasing your license in no way shape or form have all of the encon laws listed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Facts are great. I LOVE facts. What "facts" would a DEC officer be using to write that ticket?

You are right...you are the boss of the DEC.  You tell them how to interpret the codes!

Must be nice to be so stupid...I'd say you are the unicorn...an iq under 30 and still alive to post on the interwebs.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

3 minutes ago, reeltime said:

likely the reason it is illegal is because currently the "crossbow" falls under the laws of muzzleloading firearm, hence the reason you have to have the muzzleloader stamp to use one during the traditional archery season.

the laws listed in the regulations book you receive when purchasing your license in no way shape or form have all of the encon laws listed.

no but this does and it isn't addressed. 

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?NVLWO:

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

No reeltime for you DO NOT NEED a muzzle loading license to hunt turkey ,small game nor coyote in their open seasons...which BTW is now....You ONLY need one to hunt deer with a cross bow during the last 2 weeks on bow and all gun seasons.

Edited by growalot

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Yes you can, as far as I know, try it while also carrying a bow though and convince the officer you weren't also deer hunting.

But realistically I could carry a rifle, a shotgun loaded with slugs,  handgun ,a bow, an xbow and only be hunting coyotes because all implements are legal  

All in all it's a big loophole in the way the laws are stated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Apparently you are though.

In all seriousness though I think they would be hard pressed with the way the current regulations are written. I doubt they will rewrite anything though becasue of the full inclusion that will take this issue away. 

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

But realistically I could carry a rifle, a shotgun loaded with slugs,  handgun ,a bow, an xbow and only be hunting coyotes because all implements are legal  

All in all it's a big loophole in the way the laws are stated.

That was my point in all of this really. it isn't regulated currently

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

You are right...you are the boss of the DEC.  You tell them how to interpret the codes!

Must be nice to be so stupid...I'd say you are the unicorn...an iq under 30 and still alive to post on the interwebs.

They can interpret the laws as they wish. They can only write the tickets. They don't' convict. 

And Junior, don't try to get in a battle of wits, you are unarmed. I'd love for you to cite one post that was inaccurate that I made? I have no idea about the other posts they were referencing but there is nothing in the current regulations that should stop anyone from carrying a LEGAL implement during a LEGAL open season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

They can interpret the laws as they wish. They can only write the tickets. They don't' convict. 

And Junior, don't try to get in a battle of wits, you are unarmed. I'd love for you to cite one post that was inaccurate that I made? I have no idea about the other posts they were referencing but there is nothing in the current regulations that should stop anyone from carrying a LEGAL implement during a LEGAL open season. 

Keep doing it dope I don't care...take it to the Supreme Court man!  You know you're rights!

Edited by OtiscoPaul

In all seriousness though I think they would be hard pressed with the way the current regulations are written. I doubt they will rewrite anything though becasue of the full inclusion that will take this issue away. 
I'm not disagreeing with you on this, for the third time. A question came up, I got 2 answers from 2 officers that both ended the same way. It's not the answer you want to hear, honestly I don't care if it's legal or not as I'll never have a desire to do it. You might fight it in court and win? You might not? That's up to you if you want to go through that. I'm just telling you that more likely than not you WILL be getting a ticket. As someone stated above, EnCon laws are very thorough and long winded, a tiny fraction of them are published in the regulations guide, that doesn't mean that's all of them.

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'm not disagreeing with you on this, for the third time. A question came up, I got 2 answers from 2 officers that both ended the same way. It's not the answer you want to hear, honestly I don't care if it's legal or not as I'll never have a desire to do it. You might fight it in court and win? You might not? That's up to you if you want to go through that. I'm just telling you that more likely than not you WILL be getting a ticket. As someone stated above, EnCon laws are very thorough and long winded, a tiny fraction of them are published in the regulations guide, that doesn't mean that's all of them.

It really doesn't impact me one way or another. Not something I would do if it was in black and white that I could.  I am really more interested in what they are suing to base their answers on. I would love to see what section they are citing. The link I posted is FULL text ENV law. It is good to have for reference. 

Chris, would you be willing to share exactly how the question was posed? I can see an answer like they did if the question was could you hunt deer with your compound while turkey hunting with your corssbow.  was that comment in quotes exactly how you posed it?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

39 minutes ago, growalot said:

No reeltime for you DO NOT NEED a muzzle loading license to hunt turkey ,small game nor coyote in their open seasons...which BTW is now....You ONLY need one to hunt deer with a cross bow during the last 2 weeks on bow and all gun seasons.

Im well aware you do not need a ml lic. to hunt turkey with an xbow, no different than not needing a archery stamp or course to hunt turkey with a bow.

was a crossbow even a legal hunting implement 5 years ago? anyone have an old book?

edit, I just looked it up, first legal appears to of been 2011/2012 season for regular deer season and late muzzleloader season,   2013/14  approved for small game, last 14 days of archery

again in nys currently a crossbow is treated as a muzzleloader.

see license requirements section.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

Edited by reeltime
found the info.

It really doesn't impact me one way or another. Not something I would do if it was in black and white that I could.  I am really more interested in what they are suing to base their answers on. I would love to see what section they are citing. The link I posted is FULL text ENV law. It is good to have for reference. 

Chris, would you be willing to share exactly how the question was posed? I can see an answer like they did if the question was could you hunt deer with your compound while turkey hunting with your corssbow.  was that comment in quotes exactly how you posed it?

Here was my exact email. cd2a29545b689fa8fdd63f505a132271.jpg

Simple question to those who think they’re being cute.

Would you be ok carrying a shotgun and a bow in the fall? If not... how is it any different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I've been saying and they keep skating around it. They keep acting like they can't fathom a way it wouldn't be legal...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Must be part of the snowflake crowd that can't bare to have a challenging conversation? I'll be sure to copy you in when we discuss unicorns and rainbows. 

49 minutes ago, growalot said:

Thanks for quoting that Culver ...I put him on block after he told me I need to thank ChrisW...lol

The irony here tickles me