Carrying Crossbow/compound bow simultaneously

chrisw

I perused the thread. it seems like DEC is saying something, but nobody (including DEC) has yet to provide any written evidence to support what they say is illegal. Is that about right? If so, chances are you could be ticketed/arrested, and then in court it turns out you didn't do anything wrong. Maybe. It's without a doubt that police often do not know the laws they are supposedly enforcing. There is nothing new there.

As an aside, is it legal for me to, in bow season but outside of xbow season, bring my xbow into the field with broadheads to target shoot? I mean if I'm walking around the woods with a target (not like in my back yard).

• Like 1

As an aside, is it legal for me to, in bow season but outside of xbow season, bring my xbow into the field with broadheads to target shoot? I mean if I'm walking around the woods with a target (not like in my back yard).

It may not hold water but two different DEC officers, a clerk at the local 7-11 store and a priest told me that they all interpret the law that you are fine as long as....... when you are going into the woods you walk backwards so it appears like you are walking out. They referenced some Jay walking section of the law. Now I am not certain in this but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

No skin in the game because I would rather hit myself in my genitalia with a hammer than carry an Xbow and a compound in the field at the same time. I hate carrying my crossbow let alone a bow as well.

That being said I am really looking forward to the official word from the Dec. Ifthey see that a Xbow has such an advantage over a vertical bow that they would deem it illegal to have one with you while you also have a vertical bow then they absolutely without a doubt do not belong in archery season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, vizslas said:

So if you cant carry a firearm during bow season. Then what about a ccw permit witch allows you to carry at all times

They specifically call out no firearm during bow season. The CCW permit allows you to carry unless it is excluded bu other regulations. (Like into a government building or school...or with a bow during bow season. 

That said I know of a lot of folks that do it. quite a few on here from previous threads. 

• Like 2

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

They specifically call out no firearm during bow season. The CCW permit allows you to carry unless it is excluded bu other regulations. (Like into a government building or school...or with a bow during bow season. 

That said I know of a lot of folks that do it. quite a few on here from previous threads. 

Ok i get the government buildings but I dont believe as per a friend of mine well versed in laws of guns and ccw. says "it shouldn't be a problem "I on the other hand dont care no ccw

9 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

No. What I am saying is in Order for there to be a violation there must be a regulation or law broken. The opinion of an officer isn't a basis for that. Citing a section that is being violated is. It really isn't a difficult concept. I imagine that this dilemma will go away after inclusion but NY is famous for closing the barn door after the horse is put. Use of aircraft is clear in the regulations but what have they done about drones? I am sure there is some officer that has feeling and opinions on that one too but there isn't a regulation for that. I really do t care one way or another in This scenario. My issue lies in enforcement by opinion. If it is important enough that you want to arrest someone for it then it should be important enough to have it spelled out clearly.

DEC has addressed drone use for hunting. Its illegal. They added it to the same section as not using aircraft.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vizslas said:

can you use them to spot the deer a 1000 yards away then go get them on foot

I get that you cant strap an arrow to a drone and go stick it in the deer. But how cool would that be.

No.

I was looking into it, as I had the idea that I wanted to fly a drone over a few corn fields and actually get an idea of how many deer really hide out in them during the day. I had no intentions of going after the deer that day or trying to use the drone to drive them out of the field, I just wanted to see whats in there. I was going to do it on a snowy day so they would be easy to spot from a hundred feet up or so. They deemed it illegal, so I wont even bother unless I know noone is hunting at the farm that day and I have no hunting equipment with me.

16 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

DEC has addressed drone use for hunting. Its illegal. They added it to the same section as not using aircraft.

Do you know the section of ENV law that they modified? I can't see it in the actual law. If they did it's a perfect example of being important enough to make an immediate change. 

15 hours ago, growalot said:

I may have but,lest you forget..your done with my nonsense. It was long telephone call.

Though let's remind you all I asked of you was written law...

This is the same thing I require from Albany..Actual written law.

Here you go:

It is unlawful to:

• Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
  • Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.
  • Make, set, or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear.

And before you start to say it doesn't pertain:

Big Game

License requirement:

• The new law essentially treats crossbows as a muzzleloader. Hunters must possess a muzzleloader hunting privilege to legally hunt with a crossbow during any muzzleloader season OR during open portions of the early bowhunting seasons. Muzzleloader privilege is not required when hunting with a crossbow during the early bear season or the regular firearms seasons.

So in summary a crossbow is treated like a muzzleloader meaning you cannot take it afield while bowhunting. There it is in WRITING now all of you stop arguing about this crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vizslas said:

So if you cant carry a firearm during bow season. Then what about a ccw permit witch allows you to carry at all times

They should include a barrel length restriction and allow someone to carry on person during bow season.

I should have added to my above post do what you want but don't b!$ch about the ticket and how unfair it is. It is in the regs you just have to be able to put 2 and 2 together and get 4 not 5, 3, or 1.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Here you go:

It is unlawful to:

• Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
  • Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.
  • Make, set, or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear.

And before you start to say it doesn't pertain:

Big Game

License requirement:

• The new law essentially treats crossbows as a muzzleloader. Hunters must possess a muzzleloader hunting privilege to legally hunt with a crossbow during any muzzleloader season OR during open portions of the early bowhunting seasons. Muzzleloader privilege is not required when hunting with a crossbow during the early bear season or the regular firearms seasons.

So in summary a crossbow is treated like a muzzleloader meaning you cannot take it afield while bowhunting. There it is in WRITING now all of you stop arguing about this crap.

Here is the problem with that though. By their legal definition of what a Muzzleloader is does not encompass a crossbow. Having to purchase the license does not change the legal definition of the weapon. Just as they did for their revised setback requirements. firearm 500 crossbow 250 and bow 150. the Muzzleloader would be 500. Because by the legal definition it IS a firearm. 

In typical fashion they botched it all up. 

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Here is the problem with that though. By their legal definition of what a Muzzleloader is does not encompass a crossbow. Having to purchase the license does not change the legal definition of the weapon. Just as they did for their revised setback requirements. firearm 500 crossbow 250 and bow 150. the Muzzleloader would be 500. Because by the legal definition it IS a firearm. 

Well they callout the crossbow set back directly so I would think that is the case for that but I could see where someone would be the 500. The thing is though you wouldn't get a ticket for discharging the crossbow at 500' if you followed that law, where you would with the carrying it afield while bowhunting.

It does not say "a crossbow is a firearm" it says it essentially treats them as a firearm, IE: same type rules/seasons apply.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk