Too exposed?

zeus1gdsm

Personally, I would get that stand up higher or put it in that triple tree you showed. I dont actually have many stands in single trees, but I have killed deer out of every single one that I do. The trick Ive used is to be up at the 16 - 18 foot mark. The other guys I hunt with hate a couple of my stands, but they are proven deer killing spots. Heres the stand I killed my buck out of last year. Noone sits in it but me because they all say its horrible. Good, they can stay out of it lol. Ive had more mature buck sightings from this one than any other stand on the property.

stand.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Personally, I would get that stand up higher or put it in that triple tree you showed. I dont actually have many stands in single trees, but I have killed deer out of every single one that I do. The trick Ive used is to be up at the 16 - 18 foot mark. The other guys I hunt with hate a couple of my stands, but they are proven deer killing spots. Heres the stand I killed my buck out of last year. Noone sits in it but me because they all say its horrible. Good, they can stay out of it lol. Ive had more mature buck sightings from this one than any other stand on the property.

stand.jpg

Been up 25' to keep from being skylined. The uphill side didn't seem bad but the downhill side would give you vertigo looked 50'!

• Like 2

Quick tip for people is to snip some small tree limbs and branches when leaves are still green. The fibers are still strong and not weak as when leaves turn brown. You can jam the limbs into the crotches of later stands and tie to limbs the stand it in. Leaves will stay on all season, sometimes multiple seasons.

Old Xmas trees work, too, but I think they stand out a ton for other people who might be in the area post leaf drop. Draws attention.

Unlike most here, I think that stand is fine - from the ground perspective, you are just high enough to clear vegetation. That stand requires pretty high levels of concentration, however. Regardless of height, a lot of movement will give you up. All you need however, is the element of surprise.

I've seen more deer out of an 8' stand this season than I have every other stand I have sat combined. Pic from that stand yesterday.

Short Stand.jpg

7 minutes ago, phade said:

Quick tip for people is to snip some small tree limbs and branches when leaves are still green. The fibers are still strong and not weak as when leaves turn brown. You can jam the limbs into the crotches of later stands and tie to limbs the stand it in. Leaves will stay on all season, sometimes multiple seasons.

Old Xmas trees work, too, but I think they stand out a ton for other people who might be in the area post leaf drop. Draws attention.

Unlike most here, I think that stand is fine - from the ground perspective, you are just high enough to clear vegetation. That stand requires pretty high levels of concentration, however. Regardless of height, a lot of movement will give you up. All you need however, is the element of surprise.

I've seen more deer out of an 8' stand this season than I have every other stand I have sat combined. Pic from that stand yesterday.

Short Stand.jpg

And more mangy yotes!

I have a ladder stand that is 12 feet, and I am in the open like that when the leaves fall, but I don't have any problem. A doe spotted me last year from like 60 yards out but 5 minutes later a buck came in from the same direction and never knew I was there. You just have to be really careful with your movements.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:40 PM, moog5050 said:

the one thing I like to keep an eye out for at garage sales and in the garbage (especially in the next month and a half) is old artificial Christmas trees. I've used the branches to camo things in. Really worked well in our old built in lumber stands.  drill a hole and stick a branch in. bend limbs how you want them and no need to worry about leaves falling off.  On a ladder or lock on drill holes in a the tree or zip ties work well. 

So you have maple pine trees - pretty unique looking I bet

It’s the ornaments and blinking lights that always get me busted...

Edited by TreeHugger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd move the stand up and brush it in and learn to shoot sitting.. Or place stand on back side of tree and move it higher up hide behind the trunk to shoot.. We put to much emphasis on seeing deer .use your ears and the trunk Will hide any unintentional movement.. Most of my stands are designed for deer to come from behind and shot is 1/4 ing away..

• Like 2