Anyone use a portable game hoist?

Bolt action

Hide from inside out?   I just trim it off the bag legs and peel it down.  What do you mean culver?

Slide knife under hide with sharp edge facing out towards the hair. Cut thought he skin from the back through the skin towards the hair. . As opposed to cutting down through the hair and then through the skin. Hope I explained that better
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Culver showed me that trick years ago, it works great. Alot less hair everywhere.

Still not following exactly but you guys can show me at some point.   I don't do a lot of cutting unless it's to cape.  Cut a bit off legs to hold and pull it off like an upside down shirt.  It the deer is fresh, it generally just peels off. 

What I do is start at the rear legs, make a cut all the way around the leg, then I slip my knife, side of the blade toward the muscle, under the skin and wiggle it a bit to each side, then turn it so the cutting edge is toward the skin and start cutting the skin from between it and the meat. I then start peeling the skin down. It just makes it so theres not alot of hair getting cut sideways and going all over the meat and floor.

• Like 1

It's going to take more than an hour to take care of a deer. Esp if you've never done it. But to skin it out and quarter it, backstraps, tenderloins and neck meat, takes about an hour to take it apart.  Then it takes some time to cut it up from there. Esp if you take your time to get all the silver skin off. But can do all that as you go on a table.  Thats what takes the longest.  But it's all well worth it. And the more you do it the better you get . Got a doe yesterday and have already processed it all for steaks, stew, roasts and made 2 kinds of sausage. 

I have in my garage a boat winch on the wall of my garage that goes has a cable that goes to a pulley on a rafter . The boat winch takes nothing to pull a deer up .  Got winch and pulley for $35 from tractor supply.  Just put a tarp under it and can use that to pull deer in and then remains out. 

11 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Still not following exactly but you guys can show me at some point.   I don't do a lot of cutting unless it's to cape.  Cut a bit off legs to hold and pull it off like an upside down shirt.  It the deer is fresh, it generally just peels off. 

call me the next one you get. Tomorrow?

12 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Separate muscle groups to smallest "chunk". Trim everything off that isn't meat and cut steaks across the grain of the meat. It can be intimidating if you haven't done it. Just can't be scared to try. As far as the hair. Cut hide from inside to out and you will release a fraction of cutting in. Th n quickly brush over it with a propane torch and it's gone .

i've never done the torch method. The only place I get hair seems to be the front shoulders and it's minimal. But my only point is that all these things are indeed easy when you learn it. For someone trying to learn it on their own it does take some time. I was lucky to have family teach me how, and as I helped they would pass on little time saving tricks as well. I've now taught them some things. They no longer use the saw on the legs and neck, but loppers. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Belo said:

This isn’t how a lot of guys do it, but after watching the video I started doing mine this way. Easier than dealing with a quartered hind in my opinion.

Good beginner video either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I takes the hinds off in one piece and  usually remove the front shoulders as a first step after removing the hide. He does a very nice job on this. 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

i've never done the torch method. The only place I get hair seems to be the front shoulders and it's minimal. But my only point is that all these things are indeed easy when you learn it. For someone trying to learn it on their own it does take some time. I was lucky to have family teach me how, and as I helped they would pass on little time saving tricks as well. I've now taught them some things. They no longer use the saw on the legs and neck, but loppers. 

I agree. My biggest point to anyone reading this that hasn't done it is just try it. If you can get it in the air (I have done it laying down but tend to get more hair on it), have a knife and some way to wrap it you are good to go. At $80+ a deer, what do you have to lose. It isn't heart surgery and you will be just fine. 

this is my new setup. it's a little over engineered and done this way because i didn't have any attic access. All in all it's under $100 and I have the electric hoist and another eyebolt to use the pulley hoist in case of a double. 

so far its only done a lawnmower. hoping to have dead deer hanging soon.

002.thumb.JPG.7c1011a0a9667b45444495ba93a64f86.JPG

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

another decent video for the skinning part of it. There are 100's out on youtube. but rarely do you see any that don't involve hanging (from the legs guys!) lol.

MOOG- at the 17:30 mark on this video see how he cuts the skin with sharp side out? that is what I mean on any hide cutting. I have seen lots of guys cut in and it cuts the hair and releases it. This way very little hair is cut. 

11 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

What I do is start at the rear legs, make a cut all the way around the leg, then I slip my knife, side of the blade toward the muscle, under the skin and wiggle it a bit to each side, then turn it so the cutting edge is toward the skin and start cutting the skin from between it and the meat. I then start peeling the skin down. It just makes it so theres not alot of hair getting cut sideways and going all over the meat and floor.

That pretty much is what I do.  Knife under skin facing hide and slice from edge of field dressed opening up leg.   Then I work around rear leg where I plan to lop it off.    Both sides.  Then peel it down.  Depending on how hard it is peeling, I might cut tail off. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

MOOG- at the 17:30 mark on this video see how he cuts the skin with sharp side out? that is what I mean on any hide cutting. I have seen lots of guys cut in and it cuts the hair and releases it. This way very little hair is cut. 

that's one of the only places where i use my gut hook. nice, quick and same concept. 

Usually takes me from hanging to freezer about 3 hours. I like to trim all fat and sinu while hanging. Once trimmed I take cuts for what I want them to be. I'll take the loins package as they are for steaks/grilling. The backstraps cut into 1-2lbs chunks used for roasts or steaks. Hind quarters the same. Shoulders, neck and lower hind quarters thrown into bin for burger/processed snacks. I'll grind the following day adding pork to make up 1/4 total weight. Usually our 1st deer (approx. 110lbs. field dressed) will yeild about 70lbs. of meat. I'm really picky and take every little bit I can get. My buddy leaves a lot of meat and yields only 40lbs. from the same sized deer.

Edited by chas0218

12 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have in my garage a boat winch on the wall of my garage that goes has a cable that goes to a pulley on a rafter . The boat winch takes nothing to pull a deer up .  Got winch and pulley for $35 from tractor supply.  Just put a tarp under it and can use that to pull deer in and then remains out. 

Sounds exactly like what I have. The biggest issue is that the way the winch is mounted to the wall (it was there when I moved in, I didnt do it), the crank doesnt fit, so I use a ratcheting wrench to do it, and it takes forever. I was planning to replace it with an electric winch, but we are selling the house so I dont know if its worth my time to jerk around with now. 

57 minutes ago, Belo said:

this is my new setup. it's a little over engineered and done this way because i didn't have any attic access. All in all it's under $100 and I have the electric hoist and another eyebolt to use the pulley hoist in case of a double. 

so far its only done a lawnmower. hoping to have dead deer hanging soon.

002.thumb.JPG.7c1011a0a9667b45444495ba93a64f86.JPG

I'm so doing this on a beam. So it can double for pulling motors.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Yep, same way I do it.  Easier to watch than explain.  lol

14 hours ago, Belo said:

This isn’t how a lot of guys do it, but after watching the video I started doing mine this way. Easier than dealing with a quartered hind in my opinion.

Good beginner video either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a bad video but 3 things, he shouldn't be recommending.

First the size of the blade. I use an 8" scimitar style blade for removing meat. He takes many short strokes with his knife where I take one stroke and the meat is off the bone. The longer blade allows you reduce your cutting time. I  use my 6" semi flexible boning knife to remove the sinu on the exterior of the meat. Do this while hanging and it will save you from trying to hold a slippery piece of meat down on a cutting board. Also the bigger knife allows you to get your hands away from each other. I don't have huge hands but trying to manuever around the hind quarters with my hands close together is cumbersome and likely to cut yourself easier.

2nd remove the front shoulders and continue to remove the back strap up to the neck. Stopping early at the back of the front shoulder wastes the last 3 inches of backstrap. 

3rd The connective tissue he continues to reference isn't connective tissue. The connective tissue is the stuff they zoom in on at 5:01, don't grind that or leave it on the meat to eat. You won't be able to chew it and plug up your grinder.

The muscles in a deer are different than those in a cow being that they are not grouped as one they are more smaller pieces of muscle you could say. I would recommend taking the pieces as one big chunk and tying together with butchers twine when doing roasts. Your meat will dry out quickly being that the fat isn't impregnated in the meat like beef if left in long thinner strips than larger round chunks.

Edited by chas0218

30 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sounds exactly like what I have. The biggest issue is that the way the winch is mounted to the wall (it was there when I moved in, I didnt do it), the crank doesnt fit, so I use a ratcheting wrench to do it, and it takes forever. I was planning to replace it with an electric winch, but we are selling the house so I dont know if its worth my time to jerk around with now. 

Exactly why I installed the electric this year.  Hope to finally use it soon.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Not a bad video but 3 things, he shouldn't be recommending.

First the size of the blade. I use an 8" scimitar style blade for removing meat. He takes many short strokes with his knife where I take one stroke and the meat is off the bone. The longer blade allows you reduce your cutting time. I  use my 6" semi flexible boning knife to remove the sinu on the exterior of the meat. Do this while hanging and it will save you from trying to hold a slippery piece of meat down on a cutting board. Also the bigger knife allows you to get your hands away from each other. I don't have huge hands but trying to manuever around the hind quarters with my hands close together is cumbersome and likely to cut yourself easier.

2nd remove the front shoulders and continue to remove the back strap up to the neck. Stopping early at the back of the front shoulder wastes the last 3 inches of backstrap. 

3rd The connective tissue he continues to reference isn't connective tissue. The connective tissue is the stuff they zoom in on at 5:01, don't grind that or leave it on the meat to eat. You won't be able to chew it and plug up your grinder.

The muscles in a deer are different than those in a cow being that they are not grouped as one they are more smaller pieces of muscle you could say. I would recommend taking the pieces as one big chunk and tying together with butchers twine when doing roasts. Your meat will dry out quickly being that the fat isn't impregnated in the meat like beef if left in long thinner strips than larger round chunks.

It's personal preference but I don't agree with your blade length comments for me. 4" blade does it all and once the chunks are on the cutting board I can fillet off all the membrane/silverskin just like skinning a fish fillet using my fillet knife. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1