6.4 hemi

BigVal

15 hours ago, BigVal said:

Ok guys I currently have a 24 valve in my 99 2500. Runs like a beast and I love the truck. Tranny was done two years ago but is letting go again. 

I have a decision to make I either throw a stock rebuild in it and sell it or I keep it do a full blown (the right way) rebuild so I can keep power in it and not worry about it. 

If I get rid of it I want a newer truck so that rules out a diesel for me. I can't afford it right now. 

I tow alot like 5 days a week and am looking for some input. 

Why not get the 1500 with the ecodiesel? Look for an ecodiesel with a lower geared rear end.

Edited by chas0218

24 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Why not get the 1500 with the ecodiesel? Look for an ecodiesel with a lower geared rear end.

A half ton pulling 8-10,000lbs daily?

If it were me, Id get a 6spd man, Ive got the 5.7 in my 2500 and it has some nuts no doubt but, I still don't think either 6.4 or 5.7 would touch that 5.9. not for that kind if Tow weight. My buddy has the 6.4 in his 2500 but he didn't step down from the diesel, stepped up from the 5.9 360 V8. 

Beutiful Truck by the way BigVal, when mine decides to crap out completely, Im going back to the 2nd or 1st Gen Cummins hopefully 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chas0218 said:

The EcoDiesel doesnt have the tow rating that the 1500 HEMI has. Its @ 9k max. If you step into a quad cab 4wd, its only 7600. My HEMI quad cab 4wd is rated at 10200, maybe a touch less since I put the 35s on it which change the overall gearing.

Love my 6.4.  On my 2nd 3500 SRW.  I tow a 12k 5er with mine as well as equipment regularly.  From spring to fall, I'm towing my mowing rig every day.

Empty, keeping it under 70 on the highway I get 18. Around town empty I get 14. Towing my mowers, about 12.  My area is far from flat, but not Adirondack steep either.  

My first 6.4 had about 80k trouble free miles. Current one has 12k

I've owned diesels, luv em, except for the emission crap.  My dmax and powerjoke had more emission problems then I cared for.  Thats main reason I switched to a gasser. I'll probably never own another diesel. 

6 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

A half ton pulling 8-10,000lbs daily?

If it were me, Id get a 6spd man, Ive got the 5.7 in my 2500 and it has some nuts no doubt but, I still don't think either 6.4 or 5.7 would touch that 5.9. not for that kind if Tow weight. My buddy has the 6.4 in his 2500 but he didn't step down from the diesel, stepped up from the 5.9 360 V8. 

Beutiful Truck by the way BigVal, when mine decides to crap out completely, Im going back to the 2nd or 1st Gen Cummins hopefully 

Yeah I missed the weight. I can see why he had the diesel. Not sure he could replace the current truck he has now without spending a lot more than a beefy tranny rebuild.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...