Live from the butcher shop

Robhuntandfish

16 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Looking like some good eats. Have a cuber ? Been getting my roasts made into cubed steaks the last few deer. How about some blueberries thrown in those maple breakfast sausages as a thought. ( aka Costanzas)   

I don't have a cuber but I do cube steaks. My dad was a chef and he used a heavy knife and it works pretty well. 

And yes was thinking about some blueberries. Love that idea. Maybe on the next one ( looking for only a buck now).   Was hoping to make that blueberry maple sausage with bear meat this year but the weekend I went it was 90 degrees and no bear.   But yeah that's a good idea . Might just do that. Thanks.

Very nice. Nothing like enjoying something you harvested, butchered and processed into something special. We are already well on the way to getting the venison stocked up to do sticks, brats, jerky and sausage and canned......and.....and.....

• Like 2

Looks good! I haven't killed a deer yet, probably won't until gun season, just can't find the time. I did have an old buddy kill a deer he didn't really want, so I took it off of his hands, spent most of yesterday's rainy afternoon processing it and listening to the Eagles win on the radio, a couple cold Bud Lights consumed also. Made Italian sausage, some jerky, and some keilbasi, ground the rest. Made chili last night at Casa Uncle Nicky! Jerky is in the smoker as I type.

thumbnail_Picture1030170741_1.jpg

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Looks good! I haven't killed a deer yet, probably won't until gun season, just can't find the time. I did have an old buddy kill a deer he didn't really want, so I took it off of his hands, spent most of yesterday's rainy afternoon processing it and listening to the Eagles win on the radio, a couple cold Bud Lights consumed also. Made Italian sausage, some jerky, and some keilbasi, ground the rest. Made chili last night at Casa Uncle Nicky! Jerky is in the smoker as I type.

thumbnail_Picture1030170741_1.jpg

a good day for sure!  sounds great 

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
4 hours ago, crappyice said:

Willing to share ratios of pork to venison? How much pure fat vs meat? Spice combos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did 4 lbs of ground pork to 6 lbs venison for the sausage.  And used apple sausage spice mix from an Amish store and added in some apple butter

Burgers I buy 3 lb pack of bacon ends and pieces and grind that and mix into 10 pounds of burger ( only had 5 lbs of burger meat so 1.5 pounds of bacon) and used webers burger grilling spices. 

• Like 1

Besides steaks, stew meat and roasts, made up 32 burgers and 44 sage breakfast sausages, tomorrow night have to case the smoked sausage and I am done.  Doe on Monday, buck on Thursday, feels like a full time butcher shop.  

Good problem to have but between dragging deer, snow removal and playing with my meat I am damn tired. Lol

IMG_20181118_155739042.jpg

IMG_20181118_162142874.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 10:13 AM, crappyice said:

Anyone use beef fat for their ground?

A little harder to come by it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beef Tallow works but doesn't have the fat content like pork,You can find a local Beef farm and they will give/sell you some.I do know beef tallow when rendered down makes the best oil for frying

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisw said:

I just finished my 2 deer from Saturday, steaks from Hinds, loins quartered up, hearts vacuum sealed, the other 30lbs is going to salami and jalapeno cheddar snack sticks!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

i put some away in bulk to make those jalapeno cheddar snack sticks too over the winter.  Love those!   

if i get another deer a good bulk of the grind will go right to those.  

• Like 1