Live from the butcher shop

Robhuntandfish

Made 10 lbs of smoked venison sausage tonite and I am done. Freezer is to the brim. A lot of meat off that buck!  If I get another it will go to processor and be split among others.  As will some in that freezer.  ( Use herb philipson bags to separate different cuts and burgers and sausage etc. Label it by year on bags and sealed portions inside)

Sausages will be cooked at a later date in the smoker. 

IMG_20181119_184248696.jpg

IMG_20181119_185633083_TOP.jpg

• Like 1

Made 10 lbs of smoked venison sausage tonite and I am done. Freezer is to the brim. A lot of meat off that buck!  If I get another it will go to processor and be split among others.  As will some in that freezer.  ( Use herb philipson bags to separate different cuts and burgers and sausage etc. Label it by year on bags and sealed portions inside)
Sausages will be cooked at a later date in the smoker. 
IMG_20181119_184248696.thumb.jpg.d30f68bd7efa5a0c36af83d22b4b133e.jpg
IMG_20181119_185633083_TOP.thumb.jpg.a590669c3bd6b7631a37eeeeba7cc9d7.jpg

Looking good!
What casings are you using? They seems to have those same “tags” hanging off like the ones I used- I wonder if your casings are thick and hard to chew as well.

I also notice how the front set looks “pink-er” did you do that set last? Did you fat start to break down more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Looking good!
What casings are you using? They seems to have those same “tags” hanging off like the ones I used- I wonder if your casings are thick and hard to chew as well.

I also notice how the front set looks “pink-er” did you do that set last? Did you fat start to break down more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i used casings from price chopper - natural casings from Syracuse casing company - they come packed in salt.  Have used these for a few years now and they work well.  Have a few tags here and there i just trim before sealing.  I think the color is just the light in the kitchen as the closest is right under the over head light.  

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 8:15 AM, Uncle Nicky said:

A year ago-an old guy who just wanted the antlers. Confuses me also.

i guess if the meat goes to a good cause I can understand antler only hunting. I try to be pretty open minded, but I'll be honest... as a hunter it's hard for me to support the "trophy only" hunters.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

When I butchered the boar  I took all my scraps for grinding . I didn't remove any fat . I was still worried  it might be to lean .  It turned out great . Wasn't the least bit dry . Not greasy either. Cook time took 7.5 hours .  Longer than I expected . Cook temp was 200 ... done temp was 156 degrees. 

• Like 2