Fastest compound bows

Jmny

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

First, you cant rest a crossbow on the side of a tree like a rifle. Offhand, crossbows do not handle much like a rifle, regardless of how they look.

Second, if you cant shoot behind the tree your stand is in, then you are doing something wrong. I always make sure I have lanes on the back side of the tree.

Third, there are also many disadvantages to a crossbow that the compound doesnt have, but that doesnt fit in with your agenda, so you just ignore them.

In any case, the movements you make with a compound from a treestand are not much greater than those you have to make with a crossbow. All of which need to be made when the deer is not looking, and at similar ranges.

Unless that deers head is behind a tree I ain't moving for shit IAM a statue lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

First, you cant rest a crossbow on the side of a tree like a rifle.

Second, if you cant shoot behind the tree your stand is in, then you are doing something wrong. I always make sure I have lanes on the back side of the tree.

Third, there are also many disadvantages to a crossbow that the compound doesnt have, but that doesnt fit in with your agenda, so you just ignore them.

It's not about lanes behind the tree it's about the size of it. Majority of the trees I hunt from are mature 16" in diameter or bigger, the resting on the tree I can do using a crossbow. We have a treestand that we shoot out of at my parent's place. I can rest my elbow against the tree to steady my shot. I have tried numerous times with my compound and it always throws my shot off. 

I have no agenda, I'm looking at the facts the Crossbow is closer to a gun than a bow by the way it is used. The only argument is that it propels a broadhead using a string and has limbs.  You can't say an arrow because it isn't one, otherwise it would be more similar to the air bow that you and others agreed is a firearm. If you wanted to make that argument then a bola, and sling could be considered bows and should be added to legal hunting implements.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

It's not about lanes behind the tree it's about the size of it. Majority of the trees I hunt from are mature 16" in diameter or bigger, the resting on the tree I can do using a crossbow. We have a treestand that we shoot out of at my parent's place. I can rest my elbow against the tree to steady my shot. I have tried numerous times with my compound and it always throws my shot off. 

I have no agenda, I'm looking at the facts the Crossbow is closer to a gun than a bow by the way it is used. The only argument is that it propels a broadhead using a string and has limbs.  You can't say an arrow because it isn't one, otherwise it would be more similar to the air bow that you and others agreed is a firearm. If you wanted to make that argument then a bola, and sling could be considered bows and should be added to legal hunting implements.

Again, not the same as using the tree as a rest for the crossbow. You can argue the accuracy thing all you want, facts are, in competition, vertical bows are more accurate than crossbows. Thats an apples to apples comparison due to the archers having similar experience with their weapons. I have never once said that crossbows are not easier to become proficient with, I just dont see that as a bad thing.

Actually it is an arrow, the only difference being the nock and the length. They are only slightly larger in diameter so that they can up the gpi due to them being shorter than an arrow you use with a compound. They are not bolts. Bolts were short projectiles with no vanes used in midieval times.

You are twisting arguments here. An airbow is not a bow because it has no limbs and no string, and it is simply an air gun that fires arrows. Its not a bow of any type. Bolas and slings are not any type of bow either. You guys just keep reaching further and further to try and disprove the fact that a crossbow is archery equipment. It is not a gun.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It just occurred to me as I read this thread, what do guys do with a crossbow in the stand.  Do you have to hold it the entire time?   I assume you can't hang it like a bow.  That alone would deter me from hunting with one.  

You can hang it, pretty much like a bow. I hang mine from the foot stirrup.

Mine has a little metal piece about three inches long that presses down on the arrow / bolt/ missle of death between the vanes .

This is my first year with it and I was surprised how heavy it is, how big it is , like putting a bow across your rifle barrel . Easy to shoot somewhat yes, right now 40 and under for me . Can't see how I can shoot behind me as easy as with the compound , with the string and limbs sticking out like that .

Personally I'd rather use my compound , if my shoulders worked, light easy to carry , easy to maneuver on stand, through corn rows and brush, .

I used to say many of the things I read here, then tolerated them , accepted them and after my body went to pot bought one , not the cure all but at least I know I can fling an arrow now .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wfmiller said:

So you have to practice more maybe, so what? 

6 hours ago, airedale said:

There is a point of having a debate because unless all hunters are truly educated on all of this it is far from being some simple yes or no matter. As long as every faction thinks they are right they should have nothing to lose with such a debate and demonstration and totally welcome the scrutiny.

As for the DEC their position is nothing about being fair it is all about adding coins to the till.

Al

22 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Mine has a little metal piece about three inches long that presses down on the arrow / bolt/ missle of death between the vanes .

This is my first year with it and I was surprised how heavy it is, how big it is , like putting a bow across your rifle barrel . Easy to shoot somewhat yes, right now 40 and under for me . Can't see how I can shoot behind me as easy as with the compound , with the string and limbs sticking out like that .

Personally I'd rather use my compound , if my shoulders worked, light easy to carry , easy to maneuver on stand, through corn rows and brush, .

I used to say many of the things I read here, then tolerated them , accepted them and after my body went to pot bought one , not the cure all but at least I know I can fling an arrow now .

Missile of death! I like that!

On 11/3/2017 at 3:57 PM, moog5050 said:

And how is the arrow secured?   Shows how little I know

Grasshopper, there are  no stupid questions! LOL. I could ask a million about using a long bow, since I have no clue!

Different for various mfgers, basically a stiff, short bristle brush or small leaf spring retainer at rear applying pressure to bolt/arrow between the vanes to keep it snug against string and into the V channel in the stock. Again, some variations among different Xbow mfgers... Another FYI - Some mfgers have what's called a dry-fire safety incorporated into this retention device, won't allow trigger to be fired w/o retainer sensing a bolt/arrow being present. This is the curse on Xbows!! With 150-180# of stored energy being released and nowhere for this to be transfer to (thru an arrow/bolt), the Xbow itself absorbs this energy.

Edited by nyslowhand

I'm ok with the xbow. I can appreciate guys who hunt with longbows, or guys who refuse to xbow and stay with the compound. I get it. You like a challenge ! So do I ! But, at the end of the day I'm after a mature buck, and I'll take any advantage I can get, whether it's a scoped xbow, faster speed, no need to stand and draw or extended range because let's face it, the big guys usually only make one mistake and I want to capitalize on that !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 10:34 AM, brownclown said:

But NO ONE is being excluded. AND I have yet to read a single comment from anyone who is against allowing "disabled" or "older" from being part of the full archery season.

The archery hunters that choose to use a crossbow ( out of necessity or choice) are in fact being excluded for the first 34 days of archery season.  And every hunter who expresses their disdain to have the crossbows be inclusive for the entire archery season is in effect speaking out against allowing disabled  or older hunters from being part of the full archery season. And for those that need proof that other states allow crossbows inclusively during the entire archery season they only need to look at the three states with more deer hunters than New York.  Texas, Pennsylvania, Michigan are inclusive of crossbows for the entire archery season.

Edited by Jmny

• 10 months later...
On 11/3/2017 at 2:47 PM, chas0218 said:

Maybe  it is more like a gun but the goal of DEC is to control deer populations not necessarily decide on what weapon is the most sporting to use .  I find crossbows to be cumbersome and awkward to carry walking around the woods compared to a compound bow .    

• Like 1