Fastest compound bows

Jmny

The five fastest compound bows are: (liveoutdoors.com/hunting/236815-fastest-compound-bows)

1) PSE Full Trottole -370 fps

2) Matthews Halon - 353 fps

3) Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo -  350fps

4) Bear Escape - 350 fps

5) Elite Impulse 34 - 350 fps 

The fastest compound can project a arrow down range to 40 yards in .324 of a second.

Now compare this to top five crossbows:

1) Scorpvdx Vtec -  440 fps

2) Barnett Ghost 415 -  415 fps

3) Barnett Ghost 410 - 410 fps

4) Excalibur Matrix  mega  405 - 405 fps

5) Mission MBX 400 -  400 fps

The fastest crossbow can project an arrow downfield to 40 yards in .272 of a second.

That is .052 of a second faster, 52 thousandths of a second faster than a  compound.  And that is the biggest gap in foot speed for the corresponding numbered fastest in both the crossbow & compound bow speeds. 2) 415 - 353,  3) 410 - 350,   4)  405 - 350 and finally the fifth fastest in each  category is 400- 350 fps.

Doesn't the Ravin have a 425 fps crossbow?  Those 100 yard accuracy commercials are cool. It must be fun to shoot that thing at that distance and watch the bolt arc into the target. They will probably never be legal in NYS though. Too narrow. The regs say the device must be 17 inches wide, I think the Ravin is 8 inches. 

Me too but only because my shoulders are shot and some days I can't even draw my compound . 

To me I'd rather use my compound , light easy to carry and I can shoot 360 around my tree. That Xbow is heavy and bulky , frankly I think it'll be a pain to use of of a stand  .

Dont give a rats a$$ about speed, two bows in 30 years of bow hunting , my "new" bow shoots around 240 fps I think , still easy to kill bucks every year .

I also,don't get the whole " busted while drawing  " thing . Drawing is very little,movement , one arm going 12-15 inches straight back , nor much movement . Standing , reaching for bow on hook is far more movement .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

Doesn't the Ravin have a 425 fps crossbow?  Those 100 yard accuracy commercials are cool. It must be fun to shoot that thing at that distance and watch the bolt arc into the target. They will probably never be legal in NYS though. Too narrow. The regs say the device must be 17 inches wide, I think the Ravin is 8 inches. 

Answered your own question.  The list is of the five fastest hunting bows ( compound and crossbows.  in New York State .  The Ravin isn’t legal to hunt deer in ny state.  Really don’t know the other state regulations.

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The advantage isn't the speed. This is an old argument. It's the scope, accuracy and not having to draw.  I have both and if I have to choose which is more effective it's the crossbow every time. 

Let me quess you shoot aluminum or carbon arrows with a plus or minus .001 to .003 degree of straightness with a mechanical release, ( pull a trigger) probably some type of fancy pins, a stabilizer. So you buy additional mechanical devises to hold your bow steadier, use a release to pull hold the bow at fulldraw easier and longer, and eliminate rolling the string on release.  Then you add sight pins to assist in aiming you me bow, as long as you anchor in the same place.  

Sorry  you have to suffer the first 34 days of the season. Assume the reason you use the compound is it is the only way you can presently hunt that time of the year.

i do have one question.  Isn’t our responsibilities as hunters to use the most efficient tools available to  insure a quick humane kill ?   If so, why would anyone use longbow, recurve, or compound bow when the more accurate crossbow is available?   

I hunted compounds for many years.  But 09  had a traumatic brain injury. Regained everything with exception to walk independently( walker) no longer hunt out of three stands only ground blinds with crossbow, muzzleloader, shotgun or rifle where allowed.. Had to buy UTV for transportation in and out of woods.To be honest at 63, don’t know how much longer I would have been using he compound, irregardless of my injuries.  But really amazes me is that certain individuals feel threatened by others using a crossbow to hunt.  

• Like 1

Not pushing the need for fast bows.  Only used the top five in each categiory to compare speed concerns with how fast and more accurate they are 0ver the compound bow.  Both have there advantages and disadvantages.  But when Hunting I’m not concerned with Foot pounds per second but foot pounds of energy at impact.

And to get those speeds you need a 70 lbs bow at 32 inch draw length, most those guys are 6ft 2 plus, not your average size person like the requirements for a  crossbow is basically nothing and kid can be taught in one day how to shoot a crossbow.   To me that's why its more like a gun, not much skills needed to be proficient.   Most hunters are shooting bows in the 250-330 fps range with hunting arrows.  Most I talk to are in the 270 - 280 fps range which is about average that is a big difference to 400 + fps bolt from a crossbow  well over 100 fps.  They also advertise how accurate they are at 100  yards,  which is an unrealistic distance for most archers.   To me its a vast difference. 

Not trying to be a wiseguy, what is the purpose of this law requiring the Xbow be 17 inches wide?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Let me quess you shoot aluminum or carbon arrows with a plus or minus .001 to .003 degree of straightness with a mechanical release, ( pull a trigger) probably some type of fancy pins, a stabilizer. So you buy additional mechanical devises to hold your bow steadier, use a release to pull hold the bow at fulldraw easier and longer, and eliminate rolling the string on release.  Then you add sight pins to assist in aiming you me bow, as long as you anchor in the same place.  
Sorry  you have to suffer the first 34 days of the season. Assume the reason you use the compound is it is the only way you can presently hunt that time of the year.
i do have one question.  Isn’t our responsibilities as hunters to use the most efficient tools available to  insure a quick humane kill ?   If so, why would anyone use longbow, recurve, or compound bow when the more accurate crossbow is available?   
I hunted compounds for many years.  But 09  had a traumatic brain injury. Regained everything with exception to walk independently( walker) no longer hunt out of three stands only ground blinds with crossbow, muzzleloader, shotgun or rifle where allowed.. Had to buy UTV for transportation in and out of woods.To be honest at 63, don’t know how much longer I would have been using he compound, irregardless of my injuries.  But really amazes me is that certain individuals feel threatened by others using a crossbow to hunt.  

You were just waiting to pounce on someone with this diatribe. He clearly stated he hunts with a crossbow. I'm sorry to hear about your injuries and fully support your right to use a crossbow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TACC said:

Not trying to be a wiseguy, what is the purpose of this law requiring the Xbow be 17 inches wide?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

To Easy to fit out a car window lol who knows this is new york  we are talking about

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

This is just one of the FUBAR regs limiting Xbow usage that came out of that Enviro Sub-committee before enacting the 2 week Xbow season ~3yrs ago. Assuming it was an attempt to restrict some of the better performing reverse draw Xbows around at the time that had sub-17" A-A widths. 

7 hours ago, Jmny said:

thats very assuming .......  i love bow hunting.  Actually i am not big on gun hunting at all.  Simply stated that the crossbow is more efficient which is a definite.  I dont feel threatened at all.  I enjoy both during hunting season. But it is def easy to hold a crossbow to assure a good shot than it is to hold draw on a deer or get drawn at the right time.  Dont be sorry for me, But it would be hard to take the bow when the crossbow is that much more efficient is all.