Fastest compound bows

Jmny

8 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

And to get those speeds you need a 70 lbs bow at 32 inch draw length, most those guys are 6ft 2 plus, not your average size person like the requirements for a  crossbow is basically nothing and kid can be taught in one day how to shoot a crossbow.   To me that's why its more like a gun, not much skills needed to be proficient.   Most hunters are shooting bows in the 250-330 fps range with hunting arrows.  Most I talk to are in the 270 - 280 fps range which is about average that is a big difference to 400 + fps bolt from a crossbow  well over 100 fps.  They also advertise how accurate they are at 100  yards,  which is an unrealistic distance for most archers.   To me its a vast difference. 

No arrow is going to be faster than the speed of sound anyway. An arrow traveling 190 fps will completely penetrate a deer on a broadside shot if it has sufficient weight and a sharp fixed blade (cut on contact) broadhead.

Crossbows are not archery and archers were considered superior to crossbowmen in medieval times..

I'm pro xbow but that being said xbow has more downfalls than a compound.

1) most treestands don't have enough space to reload in the stand

2) heavy heavy heavy try and hold it up for 30 seconds without a rest

3) not very maneuverable the limbs sticking out make it hard to shoot in tight spaces (like behind your stand or around tree)

4) loud bet you don't get more than 1 shot at a deer

5)have to carry extra equipment to unload

6) potentially dangerous if not aware of hand location (thumb location)

So sure you don't have to draw on a deer but realisticly they are harder to hunt with (easier to kill with yes) than a vert bow. I wish they would open it up all bow season with required archery course and even have actual range time at the course to show people (who could think they are a long range weapon) there limitations. They are not some magical archery equipment but more of another tool in the safe.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'll point out that the IBO speeds all are going to be at 350 grain total weight arrows, right? Whereas the crossbows will be lobbing heavier projectiles. As such the kinetic energy difference is higher than it may seem.

I've read an article wondering if a compound will ever hit 400 fps. Argument being as you increase efficiency in the bow at some point you're mathematically limited by what draw length plus 70 lbs of pull can theoretically deliver. It provided a chart showing that over the past decade or two bow speeds have gone up at a massive pace but then virtually hit a limit a few years ago. The full throttle was the fastest bow 2-3 years ago, for instance, and nobody has has hit that since. I'm sure we'll see a 500 fps crossbow fairly soon because you can keep increasing draw weight until the cows come home and, if necessary, use a winch. 

8 hours ago, TACC said:

Not trying to be a wiseguy, what is the purpose of this law requiring the Xbow be 17 inches wide?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Well, we all know how stupid NY laws are. Cumo would say..."you don't need a 8" wide crossbow to kill a deer".   Who knows what the DEC is thinking,  they are legal in the rest of the states that allow crossbow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have a 31.5" draw. And shoot as light of arrows as I can get to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understood IBO speeds to be based on very specific parameters including 350g arrow and 28" DL.  Once you start adding weight to the string, peep and silencers, most don't hit the number as manufacturers do these tests with nothing on the string.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure anyone thinks the crossbow has an advantage because of speed. If that's what you think, you're out on an island.

It's about:

drawing (no movement with a crossbow)

accuracy (bipods and scopes, no anchor points and the 100 other variables with the compound)

time (i don't have to hold my draw until the shot presents itself hoping my arm doesn't fall off in the process)

distance (same as accuracy really, i can shoot farther with less practice)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jmny said:

i do have one question.  Isn’t our responsibilities as hunters to use the most efficient tools available to  insure a quick humane kill ?   If so, why would anyone use longbow, recurve, or compound bow when the more accurate crossbow is available?   

so firearms all season long then right? what a joke.

welcome to the age old debate. you're using poor debate tactics that have been grounded long ago bud. 

the crossbow is great implement for the elderly and disabled and those who don't have the time or desire to learn the vert. bow. There is nothing more to it. 

Edited by Belo

I've learned it's not about speed it shot placemant and kinetic energy u want...but I do have my own Chrono just to make sure how fast my bow is  so I know which sight tape to use on my hha sight my target arrows for 3d shoot slower than my hunting arrows...gotta love playing the foc game

Edited by silent death

4 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

I'm pro xbow but that being said xbow has more downfalls than a compound.

1) most treestands don't have enough space to reload in the stand

2) heavy heavy heavy try and hold it up for 30 seconds without a rest

3) not very maneuverable the limbs sticking out make it hard to shoot in tight spaces (like behind your stand or around tree)

4) loud bet you don't get more than 1 shot at a deer

5)have to carry extra equipment to unload

6) potentially dangerous if not aware of hand location (thumb location)

So sure you don't have to draw on a deer but realisticly they are harder to hunt with (easier to kill with yes) than a vert bow. I wish they would open it up all bow season with required archery course and even have actual range time at the course to show people (who could think they are a long range weapon) there limitations. They are not some magical archery equipment but more of another tool in the safe.

I'm sorry man, but you're just off. There's no secret i'm not a pro crossbow guy, but at least do some research before you use nonsense. 

1. lol what? have you seen an autococker? what are you hunting 2' planks?

2. so don't hold it up. raise it when you're ready to shoot. just like a gun.

3. have you seen the ravin's? no limbs at all.

ravin-r9.jpg

4. I've never had more than one shot at a deer with a compound either.

5. you have to carry it with you? again see 1 with autococker/decocker.

6. can't roll my eyes hard enough

Edited by Belo

1. lol what? have you seen an autococker? what are you hunting 2' planks?
2. so don't hold it up. raise it when you're ready to shoot. just like a gun.
3. have you seen the ravin's? no limbs at all.
4. I've never had more than one shot at a deer with a compound either.
5. you have to carry it with you? again see 1 with autococker/decocker.
6. can't roll my eyes hard enough
Apparently you have never shot one and id love to see you cock one in a hang on without the cranks and we are talking Ny legal xbows the rest are invalid arguments

The fact that you hunt with a compound makes me laugh at the fact your arguing against xbows. Compounds are 100 times more hunter friendly than a xbow and id put money on many of the avid archers in this group out shooting xbows in a off hand shootout anyday. Sure rests make it easier but that's not what we are talking about I can make any weapon accurate if I spend enough time and money on the location and stand design....what a joke

• Like 1

I actually sold the compound this year and picked up a crossbow. I respect both in their own right. Between work and family, I don't don't have the time that I need to practice with a compound. Not to the point where I feel confident making a consistent shot. With the xbow, I shoot a few times to make sure I feel good about the scope at various ranges. But that's just my story. To each their own.