Fastest compound bows

Jmny

14 hours ago, Jmny said:

Isn’t our responsibilities as hunters to use the most efficient tools available to  insure a quick humane kill ?   If so, why would anyone use longbow, recurve, or compound bow when the more accurate crossbow is available?   

When this kind of logic is put forward why not just quit messing around and use firearms!

What has become long lost is the original premise for "PRIMITIVE" hunting with archery and muzzleloading equipment. you know like Indians and Daniel Boone! Hunters were to be pitting their skills in woodscraft and stealth along with deep dedication to learn to use their "primitive" weapons with enough proficiency to take game, "IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD" and that is why in the beginning  these special seasons were allowed to be implemented in the first place.

But oh no!,  seems like there always has to be an angle to water things down and get that edge for those that do not want put in the time, it is  now coming to the point where special seasons will mean zero to hunters and just a cash cow for the DEC and state to make sure keep it keeps going.

It seems in today's world anything that has the slightest hint of being exclusive must to be torn down to include "ALL" for one half assed excuse or another. Comes down to  just plain old greed and laziness, today we have sports participation trophies for everyone on the team, pissing in the opposite gender's bathrooms, now Girls in Boy Scouts and soon to follow vice versa, the list just keeps going on as " ALL and everything MUST" be allowed no matter what it is. Can't wait to see white people running the NAACP!

Al

• Like 5

One biggie for mr.

Got a few great hunting spots, but owner won't allow firearms.  Arrows only.

A nice thick and warm hunting coat is great on the stand in december.  But try shooting an arrow straight with one on...

Late season ease and comfort Is what attracts me, if it applies to others here.

I agree with the ground blind argument. Been busted 4 times on drawing. If I had a crossbow, I'd have meat.....

It's on my wishliat, but low.  I just focus on these arrow only places early and enjoy other hood placed to hunt firearm season onward.

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

Apparently you have never shot one and id love to see you cock one in a hang on without the cranks and we are talking Ny legal xbows the rest are invalid arguments

The fact that you hunt with a compound makes me laugh at the fact your arguing against xbows. Compounds are 100 times more hunter friendly than a xbow and id put money on many of the avid archers in this group out shooting xbows in a off hand shootout anyday. Sure rests make it easier but that's not what we are talking about I can make any weapon accurate if I spend enough time and money on the location and stand design....what a joke

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

yes i've shot a crossbow. They're fun.

Even the most pro crossbow people are not on your side with this one bud. They are not 100 times easier. did you watch the video of the autococker? Do you routinely miss deer and followup with a compound? lol. 

you had a counter to 1 of 6. What about the other 5 items i just proved you wrong on?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jmny said:

i do have one question.  Isn’t our responsibilities as hunters to use the most efficient tools available to  insure a quick humane kill ?   If so, why would anyone use longbow, recurve, or compound bow when the more accurate crossbow is available?  

Probably for the same reason you're going to use a crossbow when a rifled slug out of a 12 gauge is far more devastating. 

2 hours ago, Belo said:

drawing (no movement with a crossbow)

You still have to raise and aim the crossbow, so there is movement involved. Honestly, theres just as much, if not more involved with the crossbow. Were talking about real world hunting, not hunting on a ranch with a pile of bait where you know right where the deer are going to be, and can leave the crossbow setup on a tripod stand.

• Like 1

You still have to raise and aim the crossbow, so there is movement involved. Honestly, theres just as much, if not more involved with the crossbow. Were talking about real world hunting, not hunting on a ranch with a pile of bait where you know right where the deer are going to be, and can leave the crossbow setup on a tripod stand.

Having hunted with a crossbow for 11 or 12 years now I can say that although there is movement with a crossbow it is exponentially less and you can/should be ready long before the target is in range. Try that with a verticals bow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on third season with bow. I will be breaking out my new crossbow this saturday.

I think the added speed is important because it does mean less arrow drop which means less critical judging of aim--still important, though, and I'll continue to use a range-finder. But less travel time means, at the same distance as bow, less variance in vertical travel. Also speed = penetration. I am going to be shooting 445 grain arrows which out of my 370 rated xbow I'm estimating will travel at 340-345 FPS. They are going to hit with tremendous power compared to even the best compound bows and should have spectacular penetration. I have a 29" draw length and my compound is 315 IBO which I draw at 60 lbs. It has approximately half the KE as the crossbow.

My compound bow is impossible to shoot seated except to my left and my front maybe if I twist around. To the right, forget it. 

My compound has no optical zoom.

I am positive I could re-draw the crossbow from my climbing stand.

Main drawbacks of the crossbow are it's heavier, which means a bit less comfort walking in (I've never had a follow-up shot with bow--deer bail 100% of the time and run like mad). Mine is also as loud as an atom bomb, so even though I know it still hits very hard at long distance and will be accurate, string jumping could be an issue I suspect. It's very front-heavy also so off-hand shooting I'm not sure I could actually be any more accurate than with a vertical (I do have shooting rails, though). 

There can't really be doubt that modern crossbows are not more effective weapons, in most cases, to a modern compound. They are definitely much less fun to shoot, though. 

As for the Ravin, I think everybody should go to a store that sells one like field and stream and just pick one up. They make all the other crossbows look like stone age garbage. They are beautiful to look at, very compact and streamlined, and they shoot very fast. They are very cool. Also illegal for hunting in NY, but very nice pieces of kit.

The autococker on the concorde is nifty.

i love the act of shooting my crossbow. Everything else about them seems to be a pain. wax this lube that keep your fingers down , then there is the de-cocking issues. Also it says in my handbook from Barnett that you should never leave the bow cocked for more than 4 hours.On top of that the strings and cables do not last as long either. As far as vertical bows go i started shooting them in the mid 70's. Love Love Love. I will be shooting a girls compound when I get old if thats what it takes. If that happens I want that nifty pink camo patterns, only because after i gut the buck i might have forgotten where I laid the bow. Old age is a bummer.Either way if its legal and I can use it, then I want one and i want to be proficient in its use. just like my muzzle loader.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

but it's nowhere near the draw of a compound. If you're not shooting off rails it is essentially identical to the actions of a gun. Plus many archers stand to shoot.  

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Capture.JPG

you know what I mean. He claimed they're wide and hard to move and position a shot. geesh. 

Edited by Belo

50 minutes ago, Core said:

As for the Ravin, I think everybody should go to a store that sells one like field and stream and just pick one up. They make all the other crossbows look like stone age garbage. They are beautiful to look at, very compact and streamlined, and they shoot very fast. They are very cool. Also illegal for hunting in NY, but very nice pieces of kit.

The autococker on the concorde is nifty.

Anyone remember what the first compounds looked like? And look at where a few decades of technology took compounds. Does anyone really expect that crossbows will now provide a whole new platform for unimaginable technological advances. Take a look at the old Allen compound and specs and performance numbers. That's where compound technology started and now we have another brand new starting point. Don't be shocked as crossbow technology begins to take off.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Having hunted with a crossbow for 11 or 12 years now I can say that although there is movement with a crossbow it is exponentially less and you can/should be ready long before the target is in range. Try that with a verticals bow...

I have both, and can say that when a deer is coming in, with a vertical bow, I have my bow up and release on the loop, ready to draw long before the deer steps into my lane (most of the time). Bringing my crossbow up on target is just as much, if not more movement doing that very same thing. When I draw my compound there is little movement, just my right arm moving back. I do not shoot a poundage thats high enough to make me aim up or down during the draw. My bow has @ 80% let off, which I can hold steadier for longer than I can hold my crossbow on target when Im shooting freehand. The vast majority of my stands do not allow for any rest with a crossbow. I can get a rest with a rifle on alot of them, by bracing against the side of the tree trunk, no can do with a crossbow.

Regardless, I was pointing out that the statement belo made about no movement with a crossbow is not accurate in most real world hunting situations.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Belo said:

but it's nowhere near the draw of a compound. If you're not shooting off rails it is essentially identical to the actions of a gun. Plus many archers stand to shoot.  

you know what I mean. He claimed they're wide and hard to move and position a shot. geesh. 

I dont know about you, but unless its a deer trotting in quick, Im standing, have my bow off the hook, release on the loop and ready to draw back long before the deer gets into my lane. The actual draw isnt that much movement. If youre having to "aim for the sky" or making a ton of movement while you are drawing, you are trying to draw too heavy of a weight.

You said no limbs at all. The limbs arent that much shorter in length than some other crossbows, the angle makes it look that way. Id honestly rather have one of the higher end reverse draw crossbows than that one. They are better balanced.

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I dont know about you, but unless its a deer trotting in quick, Im standing, have my bow off the hook, release on the loop and ready to draw back long before the deer gets into my lane. The actual draw isnt that much movement. If youre having to "aim for the sky" or making a ton of movement while you are drawing, you are trying to draw too heavy of a weight.

You said no limbs at all. The limbs arent that much shorter in length than some other crossbows, the angle makes it look that way. Id honestly rather have one of the higher end reverse draw crossbows than that one. They are better balanced.

The bow in question, the ravine( picture) isn’t a legal hunting instrument in New York State.

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

Anyone remember what the first compounds looked like? And look at where a few decades of technology took compounds. Does anyone really expect that crossbows will now provide a whole new platform for unimaginable technological advances. Take a look at the old Allen compound and specs and performance numbers. That's where compound technology started and now we have another brand new starting point. Don't be shocked as crossbow technology begins to take off.

Yeah they looked like a traditional that somebody had put some tiny cams onto! Now they look like a weapon used by the predator.

The best is when somebody is on craigslist still trying to get good money for ancient bows.

Edited by Core

39 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Ok so maybe it's not that much shorter, but it's also not as long at a vert. Point is, I find the awkward/clumsy argument to be invalid when compared to a compound. Just a few days ago I had deer on all sides. It's a tight stand in a notch and trying to maneuver with a nocked arrow from one side to another isn't cake. 

as far as movement, you're right and I'm the same way... most of the time. There are those times when I'm caught off guard sitting down and look behind or to one side to unexpectedly see a deer standing there. When I gun hunt I hold my rifle, so my movement is just turn, raise, squeeze. With archery, it's usually hanging. So if I'm sitting, it's stand, grab, turn, draw. It is hopefully rare I'm caught off guard, but it's valid sometimes for most hunters. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

I have both, and can say that when a deer is coming in, with a vertical bow, I have my bow up and release on the loop, ready to draw long before the deer steps into my lane (most of the time). Bringing my crossbow up on target is just as much, if not more movement doing that very same thing. When I draw my compound there is little movement, just my right arm moving back. I do not shoot a poundage thats high enough to make me aim up or down during the draw. My bow has @ 80% let off, which I can hold steadier for longer than I can hold my crossbow on target when Im shooting freehand. The vast majority of my stands do not allow for any rest with a crossbow. I can get a rest with a rifle on alot of them, by bracing against the side of the tree trunk, no can do with a crossbow.
Regardless, I was pointing out that the statement belo made about no movement with a crossbow is not accurate in most real world hunting situations.

I still disagree, way more movements needed with a vertical bow.

How the hell can you consider crossbows a new starting point? They have been around 7000 years.

• Haha 1